Is it time to give TLR his due? And maybe some apologies?

ron883

19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

They were committed to paying that salary anyway. It wasn't an addition.

I'm talking about spending more in prospect capital and added salary.

This.  Cutting Eaton doesn't impress me, as they were paying him either way.  Once I see the team take on salary instead of paying a prospect cost, then you will have my attention.

• Like 1

to me it is all about the playoffs. if we win one or more playoff series, then yep, credit is due. if he gets us to the playoffs and we win nothing? well, ricky did that.

• Like 2

The TLR hire was solid, even though it took alot of people by surprise. 

The only reason certain people dont like the hire is because certain people dont like the comments he made about standing for the flag.

Those detractors conceal their true disdain by trying to create a problem like the the Yermin thing.

Cub fans cant stand him simply because he managed their arch nemesis to world titles.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

His game management still leaves a lot to be desired and still puts games in jeopardy - as recently as this road trip.  Let’s not pretend that the next man up chemistry/magic washes all of that way.  They still play dumb / bad D far too often and really are still afloat because of a terrible division.  Not everything is TLR’s fault by any means and despite so many obstacles he’s also not the entire reason why they are in 1st.  I still firmly believe they have a better record with a better manager. 

There are no good managers in the eyes of fans, period. They all screw up all the time ... when their team loses. Tony has done a marvelous job and yes I'm still upset at him over the DUI stuff. Right now he deserves an A plus for all the obvious reasons I won't repeat.

Who would you rather have than LaRussa? Nobody is better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, DannyWright said:

The only reason certain people dont like the hire is because certain people dont like the comments he made about standing for the flag.

Those detractors conceal their true disdain by trying to create a problem like the the Yermin thing.

Cub fans cant stand him simply because he managed their arch nemesis to world titles.

Welcome to SoxTalk!

• Fire 2

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

There are no good managers in the eyes of fans, period. They all screw up all the time ... when their team loses. Tony has done a marvelous job and yes I'm still upset at him over the DUI stuff. Right now he deserves an A plus for all the obvious reasons I won't repeat.

Who would you rather have than LaRussa? Nobody is better.

Not even 2004-2010 Ozzie?

12 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Not even 2004-2010 Ozzie?

Oh fuck no, Ozzie at the end was brutal.  he had long worn out his welcome at that point and then quit on the fucking team.  after 2008 he just started saying shit to say shit and his preference for guys that played like him was stronger than ever and was hurting the club. 2004-2007 Ozzie, sure, maybe.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DannyWright said:

The only reason?  lol, no.  This has been beaten to death here, and supposedly as a new account, I am not quite sure how you would know what everyone here is thinking, but speaking for myself you are not even in the ballpark.  The flag stuff is WAY down the list.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The only reason?  lol, no.  This has been beaten to death here, and supposedly as a new account, I am not quite sure how you would know what everyone here is thinking, but speaking for myself you are not even in the ballpark.  The flag stuff is WAY down the list.

Well i was able to read many posts regarding the matter until i decided to voice my opinion. I see a manager with HOF credentials managing a team comprised of at least half minor leaguers  to 16 games over .500. His ability to create basically a totally different lineup everyday that can get the most out of these players is a credit to his managerial skills.

He has managed his bullpen well despite some of his best arms falling off the face of the earth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, thedoctor said:

to me it is all about the playoffs. if we win one or more playoff series, then yep, credit is due. if he gets us to the playoffs and we win nothing? well, ricky did that.

Even if everyone was healthy it is not a World Series team.  We see a lot now happens instead of last years snippet of baseball.  Ricky did that - so what?  Ricky didn't get hired either. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DannyWright said:

Well i was able to read many posts regarding the matter until i decided to voice my opinion. I see a manager with HOF credentials managing a team comprised of at least half minor leaguers  to 16 games over .500. His ability to create basically a totally different lineup everyday that can get the most out of these players is a credit to his managerial skills.

He has managed his bullpen well despite some of his best arms falling off the face of the earth.

So not blowing up Yermin twice in two days, not knowing the rules, not knowing that his pitchers were tired, plus all of the weird things like the Grandal PH that never happened for no good reason, but the flag?

Heck that leaves out my favorite off of the field stuff in multiple DUIs that he tried to use his position to get out of, nor decades history of racism, but the flag.  lol, no.  Again, no.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So not blowing up Yermin twice in two days, not knowing the rules, not knowing that his pitchers were tired, plus all of the weird things like the Grandal PH that never happened for no good reason, but the flag?

Heck that leaves out my favorite off of the field stuff in multiple DUIs that he tried to use his position to get out of, nor decades history of racism, but the flag.  lol, no.  Again, no.

Hi literally explained that postgame that he had second thoughts about not wanting Grandal to tweak something just for an AB and having to run.    Guess what, he was right.  Grandal the very next day blew out the tendon. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

49 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Hi literally explained that postgame that he had second thoughts about not wanting Grandal to tweak something just for an AB and having to run.    Guess what, he was right.  Grandal the very next day blew out the tendon. 

Then he didn't need to be there in the first place.

I don't expect anyone who didn't like TLR to ever change their tune.  They will always find something about him they don't like to hang their hat on.  

TLR is not a perfect manager, by any means.  No one is.  He has his strengths, and weaknesses.  But he didn't get into the HOF and help his teams win the most games in integrated baseball by being an idiot.  He has reasons for the decisions he makes.  They don't always turn out, but often they do.

Before the season and during the early part, the biggest problem I had with TLR critics is the way many of them came off thinking they are smarter than TLR, and somehow would be more qualified to be a MLB manager than he is.  That struck me as complete BS.  One reason is that there's a whole lot more to managing than deciding the lineup or when to take out the starter, etc.  You have to be a manager of people and a clubhouse, and you need to get guys pulling the same direction.  There's a lot that goes into managing that no one on the outside who has never been in those shoes has any real clue about.  

I still think the TLR hire was a good one, and was way better than hiring AJ Hinch, who couldn't keep his team from blatantly cheating their way to a WS win.  

I think the resilience of the team in the face of all the injuries and the breakdowns in what was expected to be a great bullpen is due at least in part to TLR.  I expected nothing less. 

But, as much as I've defended TLR, I agree that it's a long season and we aren't done yet.  The Sox need to get their horses back and to add at the deadline if we want to beat Boston or Houston or Tampa or Oakland in the playoffs.  So far, we've crushed the weaker teams but not matched up nearly as well against the top ones. TLR isn't going to make that difference.  We need Eloy and Robert and Yazmani and others back, and an upgrade at 2B and RF if we want to win in the postseason. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

12 minutes ago, VAfan said:

I don't expect anyone who didn't like TLR to ever change their tune.  They will always find something about him they don't like to hang their hat on.  

TLR is not a perfect manager, by any means.  No one is.  He has his strengths, and weaknesses.  But he didn't get into the HOF and help his teams win the most games in integrated baseball by being an idiot.  He has reasons for the decisions he makes.  They don't always turn out, but often they do.

Before the season and during the early part, the biggest problem I had with TLR critics is the way many of them came off thinking they are smarter than TLR, and somehow would be more qualified to be a MLB manager than he is.  That struck me as complete BS.  One reason is that there's a whole lot more to managing than deciding the lineup or when to take out the starter, etc.  You have to be a manager of people and a clubhouse, and you need to get guys pulling the same direction.  There's a lot that goes into managing that no one on the outside who has never been in those shoes has any real clue about.  

I still think the TLR hire was a good one, and was way better than hiring AJ Hinch, who couldn't keep his team from blatantly cheating their way to a WS win.  

I think the resilience of the team in the face of all the injuries and the breakdowns in what was expected to be a great bullpen is due at least in part to TLR.  I expected nothing less. 

But, as much as I've defended TLR, I agree that it's a long season and we aren't done yet.  The Sox need to get their horses back and to add at the deadline if we want to beat Boston or Houston or Tampa or Oakland in the playoffs.  So far, we've crushed the weaker teams but not matched up nearly as well against the top ones. TLR isn't going to make that difference.  We need Eloy and Robert and Yazmani and others back, and an upgrade at 2B and RF if we want to win in the postseason. 

Let me stop you right there.

This is one of the absolute worst arguments to use to prop up a manager because by saying it, you are saying that you are also NOT QUALIFIED to know if a manager is good or bad.  If you can't know when a manager is bad, you also can't know when they are good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

autopilot? you can't be serious.  the plane has lost its left engine, the vertical stabilizer is hanging on by a thread and the gear is stuck up.  If TLR manages to land this thing he is a master aviator.

Do you mean in terms of strategy and line up construction? Okay, sure, but in terms of the players he has, no way, this is auto pilot. Either way I’m not kissing his feet and apologizing to TLR as the OP asks.

Edited by The Beast
  • Haha 1

As someone who lost a close friend to being hit by a drunk driver, no number of championships is going to make me feel good about TLR as manager. Sticking strictly to performance, he's finally managing like someone with experience after a few months of managing like someone the game has passed by. Fortunately he inherited a team that's vastly superior to the rest of the division to allow him time to get acclimated without ruining the team's chances.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, DannyWright said:

No, what happened with the La Russa hire is that he had two DUIs and got out of them being the Hall of Fame baseball person he is. Also didn’t like how JR hired his guy without discussion and consideration for Hahn’s guy. La Russa may do well for the rest of the tenure here, but I won’t be praising him as much as the players if he wins anything.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Exactly.

• Like 1