Is it time to give TLR his due? And maybe some apologies?

ron883

13 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

For all the people here who still think TLR is the reason the Sox are winning at this success rate, is just as wrong as when the Bulls Jerry Krause told us that organizations win championships, not players.

I'm not saying Tony is the reason Sox are rocking and rolling. I'm saying he deserves an A for performance at the ASB. Yes I tip my cap to Hahn as well. Remember I was totally against the rebuild pointing out I felt Sox might be able to win a division then catch lightning in the playoffs as they did in 05 and win a title under Hahn the old fashioned way. For this season I give Mr. Hahn an A at the ASB and tip my cap to him.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

My bad, yeah you're right this is 100 percent due to TLR. Who needs Hahn. I forgot TLR brought all those minor league players to the Sox! 

Ummm…the first sentence of my post that you quoted literally says that Hahn and his crew deserve a TON of credit.

Reading comprehension, man.

35 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

I think Stone's twitter takes on how the fans should feel about the club are asinine and foolish (who's to tell US how to feel?) but he is in a position to evaluate Tony as a former player and I don't really know how you could argue with him here. 

And there's this:

TA isn't gonna trash TLR at the ASG but he explained pretty well exactly why he's a players' manager. He lets the players do what they want but expects them to perform instead the lines.  Perfect. That's the trust element and treating your guys like men as long as they have their mind and body ready to perform.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think Stone's twitter takes on how the fans should feel about the club are asinine and foolish (who's to tell US how to feel?) but he is in a position to evaluate Tony as a former player and I don't really know how you could argue with him here. 

And there's this:

TA isn't gonna trash TLR at the ASG but he explained pretty well exactly why he's a players' manager. He lets the players do what they want but expects them to perform instead the lines.  Perfect. That's the trust element and treating your guys like men as long as they have their mind and body ready to perform.

That's good enough for me. I think except for the DUI stuff (which is awful) which has nothing to do with baseball, and the Mercedes controversy which does have a lot to do with baseball, we should agree the Sox have a perfect fit as manager. Like Stone said in his tweet, all managers are imperfect. This LaRussa guy may be destined to win 2-3 WS with his original team. If somehow Sox catch fire in playoffs 2 of the next 3 or 4 years and Sox win two titles, Tony would be regarded as a Top Three manager of all time.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, greg775 said:

That's good enough for me. I think except for the DUI stuff (which is awful) which has nothing to do with baseball, and the Mercedes controversy which does have a lot to do with baseball, we should agree the Sox have a perfect fit as manager. Like Stone said in his tweet, all managers are imperfect. This LaRussa guy may be destined to win 2-3 WS with his original team. If somehow Sox catch fire in playoffs 2 of the next 3 or 4 years and Sox win two titles, Tony would be regarded as a Top Three manager of all time.

The DUI stuff always catches up with people. I can't stand Stone already.

Hopefully, the Sox can go deep in the playoffs this year. LaRussa and his supporters can take credit if they want. Then hopefully, LaRussa will not be manager in 2022.

• Haha 2
  • Fire 2

The TA remarks put to rest the worries that Tony LaRussa is too old to relate to today's modern players.  Our record is as good as most expected it to be when healthy.  With the megascope of those injuries...nothing short of amazing.  I still think RH did a great job in amassing the talent but TL has played it like a maestro.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Jesus man, inject this into my veins:

After Jose Ruiz gave up a run in the 10th, Matt Foster got the last two outs for his first career save, the game ending on DJ Stewart’s warning track fly to Engel in center.

“Tony is very much about winning,” Engel said. “The way he talks, manages, everything he does has just that feel of ‘I want to win tonight, and I want to win at all costs.’ That’s a huge part of our team. We started building that culture, and now that he’s part of it, his personality suits us incredibly well.”

Dylan Cease (8-4, 4.11 ERA) threw five innings of two-run ball, striking out six and not allowing a hit after Austin Hays’ two-run homer in the first. He was at 85 pitches with the 3-4-5 hitters coming up when La Russa went to Michael Kopech, who struck out the side in the sixth.

“I didn’t think it was a smart time to push him,” La Russa said. “I felt the sixth would be a tough inning. You trust your gut.”

Cease had kept it close, and Vaughn injected a couple of jolts as the Sox completed a 7-0 sweep of the Orioles, the first time a Sox team swept a season series of at least seven games. On the day before the break against a last-place team, the Sox didn’t let up.

“I’ve never thought we’ve had a flat day, which is an amazing compliment to our team,” La Russa said.

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

And there's this:

He's gotta be tired of answering that question. The media so desperately wants TA to say he doesn't like Tony. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

He's gotta be tired of answering that question. The media so desperately wants TA to say he doesn't like Tony. 

it's probably in his contract not to at this point. I mean obviously TA likes TLR on some level, at least as a boss, but I get the feeling like you're saying that he's tired of it.

4 hours ago, reiks12 said:

TLR is going to win manager of the year and it wont even be close

Baker has the Astros with the lowest AL odds to win the WS.  Seemingly TB is there every year.  Oakland continues to succeed, somehow.   And then you have the Red Sox that everyone was picking fourth.   

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Baker has the Astros with the lowest AL odds to win the WS.  Seemingly TB is there every year.  Oakland continues to succeed, somehow.   And then you have the Red Sox that everyone was picking fourth.   

Larussa lost half of his team, has the best record in the AL, and hasnt managed in 10 years. As long as the Sox win the division hes a lock.

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2021 at 6:15 AM, BRDSR said:

Ummm…the first sentence of my post that you quoted literally says that Hahn and his crew deserve a TON of credit.

Reading comprehension, man.

Ummm, my reading comprehension is fine. Maybe you should show the entire post and not refer to one sentence to see what I was criticizing (see below).

Your entire post:

Hahn and his crew get a TON of credit for putting together a team that could weather the injuries this team has experienced.  But pull me a lineup from the last four weeks that any baseball fan, let alone analyst, would call “immensely talented” as of 1 April 2021 and you’ll either be lying or delusional.  The win/loss record that TLR has been able to achieve with the talent he’s been given is remarkable.  (The players themselves have of course been remarkable too, but you can’t discount TLR’s role of putting them in positions to succeed.)

After the first sentence of acknowledging Hahn getting a ton of credit, you go off on how TRL gets all this credit for putting this lineup together with all these injuries. You are missing my point which is the reason TLR can look good as a manager of this team, is not because of his genius, The fact Hahn has assembled arguably the most talented team and minor league system in MLB, is the reason TLR looks good. Managers can put lineups together, but players need to hit and pitch. Yes we had major horrific injuries, however Hahn had players in Charlotte he could call up and they came through and didn't disappoint. You and anyone else can blindly praise TLR, but the credit goes to Hahn and the players for coming through. 

If Jerry R never stepped in and made the manager's hire for Hahn, do you or anybody else on this planet, think Hahn would have hired TLR? 

Incredible article on La Russa today in the Athletic.

A day after Grandal hurt his knee, La Russa plugged in backup catcher Zack Collins. Collins supplied a two-run single and scored another run. Hamilton splashed across the muddy warning track for a full-extension grab. Hendriks, the All-Star closer, secured a two-inning save. The team, said All-Star pitcher Carlos Rodón, “is a bunch of bulldogs.” The White Sox could have started crumbling. Instead they were thriving.

“Tony’s got this master plan,” Lynn says. “I learned it a long time ago. If everybody is pulling in the same direction, then they’ll play better on the field together. And if that direction is that you’re all mad at Tony, then that works well for him, too. And he doesn’t care, as long as you win.”

On the 57th day in first place, La Russa stood along the dugout railing in Detroit. Behind him rested a glove belonging to Andrew Vaughn, the third overall pick in 2019. Vaughn is 23. La Russa was born a month before the Battle of the Bulge. The only connective tissue between them was their matching outfits. Vaughn puffed his chest and feigned a glare.

“You stealing my stuff?” Vaughn said.

“Don’t forget that glove,” La Russa said.

Vaughn, who is learning to play the outfield in real time, was one of three rookies in the lineup that night. Two others exceeded rookie eligibility in 2020. Youth powers these White Sox.

“A lot of time coaching is just keeping the guy on the road, and out of the ditches,” La Russa says. “That’s what your role is. Mentally, physically, fundamentally, just help them be ready to compete.”

The players say they believe — in themselves, and in their manager. Giolito appreciated how La Russa “continues to have faith in me and my ability” despite middling results. Abreu credited La Russa for “teaching [us] how to win.” Anderson pointed out that La Russa understands the dynamics of the clubhouse: The manager may have an office, but he knows the men with the lockers matter more. “This is the players’ ball club,” Anderson says. “He understands that.”

“Just to be able to learn from a legend like him — he’s a Hall of Famer, man,” Anderson adds. “Who wouldn’t want to learn from him? He definitely puts us in the right spot to be successful. He knows what’s going on in the game. I’m pretty much riding him.”