Is it time to give TLR his due? And maybe some apologies?

ron883

13 hours ago, ron883 said:

The team has been decimated by injuries, but is absolutely crushing the division. "Tony's guys" like Leury and Hamilton would get shit on left and right for being played too often. Now they are fan favorites and are integral to the team. No matter who goes down, the team steps up and finds a way to win. 

Maybe it's time to give TLR his due? Going further, there are plenty of people here that have said some very mean things about TLR. Very nasty things. Many people owe him an apology, including myself. I'm sorry Tony. Ricky renteria wouldn't be carrying this team like TLR has. The team and is simply united. It looks like a storybook season tbh. 

A big No. I have been a consistent critic here saying that the Sox will win this year in despite of TLR and not because of him. This is based on a super talented team and we play in weak division. The fact we still are winning as we bring up minor leaguers to replace all the injuries, is more to the credit of Hahn that he deserves for building this club at the major league level, as well as the minor league level. 

Btw, TRL still makes dumb decisions.  Pitching Hendricks the other day for 2 innings and 6 outs for a close was not wise.

13 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

A big No. I have been a consistent critic here saying that the Sox will win this year in despite of TLR and not because of him. This is based on a super talented team and we play in weak division. The fact we still are winning as we bring up minor leaguers to replace all the injuries, is more to the credit of Hahn that he deserves for building this club at the major league level, as well as the minor league level. 

Btw, TRL still makes dumb decisions.  Pitching Hendricks the other day for 2 innings and 6 outs for a close was not wise.

This is why we got Hendriks. He is a workhorse and can go multiple innings if needed. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

This is why we got Hendriks. He is a workhorse and can go multiple innings if needed. 

The way the 6 out stint played out it seems OK and it also seemed like for whatever reason they were trying to find a spot to get him more than an inning?  Maybe way off base but it felt like the staff wanted Hendriks to throw a bit more than usual?

I was fine with the hiring but had other preferences. With that said you cannot take away that we are in first with so many injuries.

People that hated the hire did bc:

-He is old and outdated. We're winning sooo....

-DUI/He'll be drunk during games. We're winning.

-He wont get along with TA bc he is racist. Have not seen any such issue.

-Yermin. Please, if you really think Yermin got exposed bc of TLR's comments about that HR I want some of what you are smoking.

My only issue with him is his unwillingness to get into ump's faces and back-up his players in certain situations.

10 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Not true at all. He was brought here as a 9th inning/3 outs closer/workhorse. When you use him for 2 innings at a time, at some point you could burn him out and not be able to use him as often. By pitching one inning in that game, he might have been able to come out the next day for a one inning close, if that game was closer and not 6-1. Look at how the Cubs almost choked away their 2016 World Series. Madden was overusing Chapman trying to use him for multiple innings and his fastball kept dropping. The Yankees never used Chapman for more than a 9th inning close. Why didn't TLR have Kopech go for 2 innings? I though the Sox were trying to get Kopech stronger for those future starts occasionally.

31 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Not true at all. He was brought here as a 9th inning/3 outs closer/workhorse. When you use him for 2 innings at a time, at some point you could burn him out and not be able to use him as often. By pitching one inning in that game, he might have been able to come out the next day for a one inning close, if that game was closer and not 6-1. Look at how the Cubs almost choked away their 2016 World Series. Madden was overusing Chapman trying to use him for multiple innings and his fastball kept dropping. The Yankees never used Chapman for more than a 9th inning close. Why didn't TLR have Kopech go for 2 innings? I though the Sox were trying to get Kopech stronger for those future starts occasionally.

Maybe they should hire you to oversee the bullpen and manage Kopech's innings. Sounds like you are a baseball savant who has it all figured out. 

Edited by ron883
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

47 minutes ago, ron883 said:

If anything, him going to Hendriks in the 8th against the middle of their order was one of his best tactical decisions of the year. We've probably blown almost 10 leads in the 8th this year. 

• Thanks 3

16 hours ago, ron883 said:

The team has been decimated by injuries, but is absolutely crushing the division. "Tony's guys" like Leury and Hamilton would get shit on left and right for being played too often. Now they are fan favorites and are integral to the team. No matter who goes down, the team steps up and finds a way to win. 

Maybe it's time to give TLR his due? Going further, there are plenty of people here that have said some very mean things about TLR. Very nasty things. Many people owe him an apology, including myself. I'm sorry Tony. Ricky renteria wouldn't be carrying this team like TLR has. The team and is simply united. It looks like a storybook season tbh. 

Apologize for what? He’s got a team that is pretty much one he could run on autopilot compared to what his predecessor had. I give more credit to the players stepping up than I do La Russa managing.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

If anything, him going to Hendriks in the 8th against the middle of their order was one of his best tactical decisions of the year. We've probably blown almost 10 leads in the 8th this year. 

one thing about TLR is that he defies stereotypes.  he's def willing to use more "sabermetric" or "new school" managing at times and then...there's the bunting.

30 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Apologize for what? He’s got a team that is pretty much one he could run on autopilot compared to what his predecessor had. I give more credit to the players stepping up than I do La Russa managing.

autopilot? you can't be serious.  the plane has lost its left engine, the vertical stabilizer is hanging on by a thread and the gear is stuck up.  If TLR manages to land this thing he is a master aviator.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

There's one more thing to consider that I don't think has been mentioned here.

Since it was JR's idea to hire TLR  does that make him more committed to winning it all this year to prove he is smarter than everyone else ? Or will he just be the same guy he has always been and thinks TLR makes such a big difference that he can win the World Series without adding significantly at the Trade Deadline ?

We shall see in a few weeks.

15 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

There's one more thing to consider that I don't think has been mentioned here.

Since it was JR's idea to hire TLR  does that make him more committed to winning it all this year to prove he is smarter than everyone else ? Or will he just be the same guy he has always been and thinks TLR makes such a big difference that he can win the World Series without adding significantly at the Trade Deadline ?

We shall see in a few weeks.

Being willing to punt several millions of Eaton money would be signs of that more than anything

3 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

The main beef on this board with TLR's use of Hendriks (and my beef) has been that he hasn't gone to Hendriks often *enough*, or early enough, particularly given his multiple-inning use with the As and his own statements that he likes regular usage to stay fresh. People have criticized TLR for using him in the old-school "closer's" role you describe rather than in high-leverage situations and as long as necessary to ensure wins. Now he gets used for two innings once and somebody jumps on that.

• Like 1