Is it time to give TLR his due? And maybe some apologies?

ron883

Not the way this double header has been managed, without ANY sense of urgency.

Especially playing against a dead team walking.

No consistency from a very talented bullpen.  Matt Foster might as well be renamed Dylan Covey.  Yet he’s the go to choice in a close game at home with pretty much the entire bullpen fairly well rested?

Poor defense and fundamentals.

When healthy, we have two full 4x100 sprint teams that could clock pretty much any team in baseball….Engel, Robert, Hamilton and Goodwin, then our backup sprint team of Anderson, Leury, Moncada and Madrigal/Mendick.

But our identity isn’t related to manufacturing run or putting pressure on opposing teams like the 2013-17 Royals.

We still are lacking in that area…outside of starting pitching and scoring runs without homering at even an average clip.

Benetti can give out the FG odds for the playoffs, mention Jimenez/Robert coming back, the four starters that are missing…RS/RA differentials or how we’re STILL just a 1/2 game or 1 from the best record overall in the AL, but this is just a very good team that has been getting great starting pitching, but I’m honestly not really sure how many SoxTalk posters actually could have this team trailing the Indians if not 2-3 games out ahead of them.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Guess I deserved that one, lol.

TLR is amazing.

To add to the karma, Berrios is on my fantasy team.

Crazy that it was all the way back to 2008 with Quentin against Lester…walking off an opposing starting pitcher at the end of a home game for the first time.

I'm not really surprised that it's been that long. It's very rare for a manager to leave a starting pitcher in for a situation where he could get walked off. Maybe a bit more common with the 7 inning doubleheaders, but before that it had to be really rare.

39 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I'm not really surprised that it's been that long. It's very rare for a manager to leave a starting pitcher in for a situation where he could get walked off. Maybe a bit more common with the 7 inning doubleheaders, but before that it had to be really rare.

Berrios was gassed after the HBP he should have been pulled or at least walked Sheets after the wild pitch.  

Not a LaRussa fan, but I even enjoyed the Sheets-LaRussa hug. 

There is the bunting, however, In game two against the Twins, LaRussa called for a bunt with a slow runner on first. The bunt wasn't perfect, but it was decent enough. The runner was thrown out at second easily, and the Twins almost pulled off a double play.

Then, there is the choice to start Lopez in game two. I didn't think that was a good choice, especially when there is always a  possibility of losing game one. Lopez did all right, but I saw that as a real risk to lose a doubleheader to a lousy team like the Twins. Saved by Sheets heroics.

The Sox are winning, so I'm not going to dwell on LaRussa that much. If they win with him, fine. It's about the team. I just think the Sox should have given this matter more thought. I'm not going to apologize for feeling that way.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, NWINFan said:

Not a LaRussa fan, but I even enjoyed the Sheets-LaRussa hug. 

There is the bunting, however, In game two against the Twins, LaRussa called for a bunt with a slow runner on first. The bunt wasn't perfect, but it was decent enough. The runner was thrown out at second easily, and the Twins almost pulled off a double play.

Then, there is the choice to start Lopez in game two. I didn't think that was a good choice, especially when there is always a  possibility of losing game one. Lopez did all right, but I saw that as a real risk to lose a doubleheader to a lousy team like the Twins. Saved by Sheets heroics.

The Sox are winning, so I'm not going to dwell on LaRussa that much. If they win with him, fine. It's about the team. I just think the Sox should have given this matter more thought. I'm not going to apologize for feeling that way.

I wonder if LaRussa is enjoying the season? He's certainly done a fine job except for the weird incident involving Mercedes. From a baseball standpoint he's a contender for manager of the year.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Ummm…no?

Managed to make the White Sox look lost in space this weekend on a national (seemingly Brew Crew t.v.) broadcast, along with the controversial Yoan play at home. 

Where the heck were Cairo, McEwing and Narron???

Tony gets blamed for this? Now I've seen it all.