Sign in to follow this  
southsider2k5

Jason and Steve to start traveling after ASB

Finally.  It has to be tough to call a game by watching a monitor.  The Yankees announcer called a HR on a replay because they were watching a monitor and didn't realize it was a replay.  And we've seen enough times where Jason was fooled by a fly ball, not knowing how far it was hit.

This will be good for Jason.

Everything looks like a home run in the studio even more than live.

2 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Finally.  It has to be tough to call a game by watching a monitor.  The Yankees announcer called a HR on a replay because they were watching a monitor and didn't realize it was a replay.  And we've seen enough times where Jason was fooled by a fly ball, not knowing how far it was hit.

to be fair John Sterling probably sees the ball better on the monitor.  he's been awful for years and routinely miscalls balls.  Susan isn't much better.

About time 

I have grown accustomed to a can of corn being called like a division clinching home run...but glad for them. Steve can get even more sarcastic with jet lag again.

I love Jason and Steve and this will make them that much better.

• Like 2

I see a couple folks saying Jason needs it, but I've got to commend the two of them for just how well they've called the games just looking at monitors for half the season. It's really felt seamless where it feels more like that they're at the game and it's only some moments that stand out and break that illusion where I remember that they aren't there (most notably those games where there's a delay in one person's feed so they end up talking over each other).

They've done better than I could've imagined, given the constraints.

With that said, I'm sure they're even happier than us that they get to travel and call the games first-hand.

• Like 2

Outside of an August trip to Tampa, the Sox don't leave the Midwest until early September.

• Like 1

I doubt Stone wants to travel. Not his thing. 

12 hours ago, pcq said:

I doubt Stone wants to travel. Not his thing. 

Yeah, he’s only been doing this traveling thing for over 50 years now as both player and broadcaster.  Totally not his thing.  

• Haha 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

The fact this has taken this long is so senseless. 

Unless broadcaster and TV personnel  have refused vaccines, there is no reason why they should not have been traveling.

It's solely about the $. Jason Benetti called the RSNs including Jerry Reinsdorf's Regional Sports Network as "hot garbage" .

Jason also said the network bitched at him for "not adapting well" and wanted Steve and Jason to announce the games in the NBC Studios in separate rooms.

Full segment link 7/13 Hour 3: https://www.audacy.com/670thescore/podcasts/parkins-spiegel-show-63

So uh are they not going to be traveling anymore?

Why they kept the announcers at home is an outrage. Nobody's been concerned about covid for weeks. Typical baseball paying players exorbitant salaries and nickle and diming other departments. Outrageous. Glad they will be on the road.

On 7/14/2021 at 8:22 PM, mqr said:

So uh are they not going to be traveling anymore?

No, Jerry is still broke. Explains Jason Benetti's anger earlier in the week.

Can see Jason telling Jerry to stick his cheap ass garbage television station up his ass like Harry Caray did if this continues.

“I won’t rule out travel for road games in the future, but we will not do so for the Milwaukee series,” NBCU Local Chicago president and general manager Kevin Cross wrote in an email.

Just spend $38M on Lynn, so no money left to have announcers travel.

5 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I am not even sure I like the comment that their not great.they are good. I know soxtalk fans will be on board but he could have saved that comment. 

The dumb part is then announcers should be at the ball park all the time 

Wow. Benetti really exploded on that podcast. Good for him. It's simply ridiculous to not let he and Stone travel on the road. How the hell are you supposed to broadcast a game watching it on TV in Chicago? Awful decision. Cmon. Compared to player contracts these announcers' pay mean nothing to the bottom line. I bet Stone refuses to do this next season.

• Like 1

They’re not great *yet*. Standby.

The "they're not great" comment feels really out of character for Stone. I read all of his tweets in his voice and when I got to that part my brain didn't know what to do.