Javier Baez - just asking no rumor

bmags

With Escobar hurting isn’t Baez a similar get? Does his outsized media deepthroating make him more expensive IRL?

Feels like a good option as he’s been heating up and could provide similar power.

• Like 1

TA and Baez up the middle sounds good to me. His slumps are pretty rough, though - hopefully we catch a hot streak and ride it into the postseason.

What does a competitive package look like for him?

Just now, EloyJenkins said:

1. the cubs are about gut their team including Bryant...they are not getting rid of the only Face of the franchise they have left.

2. Baez got hurt also, so he isn't playing either right now. 

He’s a free agent after this year

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I bet they try and keep him. even though they are rebuilding. He turned town a contract extension offer before...but his bat has cooled off to the point where he is in their budget. I just don't see them helping the sox in a dismantling. 

3 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I bet they try and keep him. even though they are rebuilding. He turned town a contract extension offer before...but his bat has cooled off to the point where he is in their budget. I just don't see them helping the sox in a dismantling. 

They can sign him in the off-season. Wouldn’t be that crazy. He wouldn’t even have to move to a new city for a couple months of the season.

2 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

They can sign him in the off-season. Wouldn’t be that crazy. He wouldn’t even have to move to a new city for a couple months of the season.

That’s what I was thinking, like when the Red Sox traded Lester but…uh actually re-sign him. They probably would like to get out of the QO situation where he’d be likely to take it

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

1. the cubs are about gut their team including Bryant...they are not getting rid of the only Face of the franchise they have left.

I would've thought they keep Rizzo but not Baez or Bryant?

17 minutes ago, wegner said:

I would've thought they keep Rizzo but not Baez or Bryant?

they offered Baez 180 million in the spring. They want him as the face. The fans LOVE him even as frustrating as a player that he is. Rizzo has a bad back and marginal numbers for being in a FA year...rumors are they will move him if they can. 

• Thanks 2

I do like Baez' versatility [2b, SS and 3b], defense and power. Provided the cost isn't too much in terms of prospects [with Baez' down year the cost should be less than Adam Frazier but more than Escobar]. The Cubs should be trading him before Bryant and Rizzo as Baez would be likely to accept the one year Qualifying Offer for close to $20 mill. 

Baez would be good insurance in case TA or Moncada got hurt and could give them days off in the 2nd half to keep them fresh. An injury to TA or Moncada would mean having Mendick or Burger playing full time which won't cut it for a playoff team.

If the sox players would be OK with Baez, and not affect the clubhouse,  Baez playing for a long term contract for a few months might make sense. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

Baez will very likely not be part of the next Cubs "window".  Holding on to him for face of the franchise value is foolish and I don't think Hoyer operates that way

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bmags said:

With Escobar hurting isn’t Baez a similar get? Does his outsized media deepthroating make him more expensive IRL?

Feels like a good option as he’s been heating up and could provide similar power.

This would be so risky for both sides due to the possible backlash from Cubs fans over Baez success with the Sox and the prospect cost it would take to acquire him because the Sox would pay a premium due to his stardom + crosstown upcharge.

In a vacuum I love this because it's a "let's fucking do this" type trade, but at the same time, I fear seeing someone like Crochet having a long, long career on the North Side.

32 minutes ago, Quin said:

This would be so risky for both sides due to the possible backlash from Cubs fans over Baez success with the Sox and the prospect cost it would take to acquire him because the Sox would pay a premium due to his stardom + crosstown upcharge.

In a vacuum I love this because it's a "let's fucking do this" type trade, but at the same time, I fear seeing someone like Crochet having a long, long career on the North Side.

I think you are extremely overrating his return.

• Like 1

The Cubs should be backing up the truck to get whatever they can for their upcoming free agents.  They can always try to sign Baez and Bryant during the off season just like they would have anyway.  Both have already turned down long term deals worth a lot of money (though neither one at market value) so they even have some cover with the fans.

4 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

I see him as a bum slayer who feeds of bad pitchers and mistakes.  He may have a moment in the playoffs but the overall work will be disappointing and the price to get him will be high.

He had a lot of moments in the playoffs against a lot of playoff teams, not bums, if I remember correctly.  Baez as a 2b stopgap would be fucking amazing this season

22 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

you are not remembering correctly

.221/.250/.385 with 41 K and 5 BB in 128 PA

I still would love him as a stop gap.  When he was bad in playoffs he was bad, but he had like 3 rounds where he carried them

On 7/8/2021 at 7:02 PM, bmags said:

The Cubs were supposed to be the next great dynasty.

What happened ?

And Cleveland blew that Series whereas the 2005 Sox had one of the best post-season records in history.

Yet another RH hitter, who feasts on LHP.  He is not the best choice to replace Madrigal, for the final stretch of this season. Until Grandal returns, it is imperative that the Sox find someone to provide better line up balance. Even after Yasmani returns, because they will face some very good RH pitchers in the playoffs. I'm confident that Hahn will target an acquisition, or two, who can provide run production vs. RHP. La Russa has almost certainly emphasized that need, as well. I know that some people here think that I seem to beat that horse to death, however it's only because so many fail to consider it. A guy like Escobar is a better fit for the Sox, at this point, and would cost less to acquire. Baez might be the better player, but his below average performance versus RHP makes him the less suitable choice.

Edited by Lillian

On 7/8/2021 at 7:38 PM, EloyJenkins said:

they offered Baez 180 million in the spring. They want him as the face. The fans LOVE him even as frustrating as a player that he is. Rizzo has a bad back and marginal numbers for being in a FA year...rumors are they will move him if they can. 

Baez looks foolish to not accept that deal right now

On 7/8/2021 at 5:18 PM, bmags said:

That’s what I was thinking, like when the Red Sox traded Lester but…uh actually re-sign him. They probably would like to get out of the QO situation where he’d be likely to take it

I guess we will find out how important that comp pick is. They can trade him for more than the worth of a comp pick I'm imagining. Or if they don't want to give him the QO and risk him accepting it then just don't offer it and lose the comp pick.