2021 MLB Draft Day 1 Thread

Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It's the baseball draft. Top available if you like a guy is completely meaningless imo. 

Hope they are right and not another Hawkins HS fiasco.

Edited by Soxfest

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

i think the sox have earned the benefit of the doubt in the draft lately.

When's the last time a Sox draft pick contributed at the big league level?  It's been over a week!!!

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Soxfest said:

Hope they are right and not another Hawkins HS kid fiasco.

Hawkins was also ranked right around where the Sox picked him. 

The Sox did pretty well under Hostetler. It remains to be seen about Shirley. 

I wish the Kanny arms were doing better. Missing 2020 hurt Thompson and Dalquist imo. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I know nothing about the kid, but I like northern high school kids because they oftentimes can be overlooked tbe most. Sesms like a great athlete and I loved his swing.

Thanks...my guess is that he impressed them at the Combine.

2 minutes ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

Law hates the Sox and knew we were gonna draft him, obviously.

yeah, i generally don't agree with Law for the most part. Glad that he is a higher hit with others. I did read that this draft is pretty flat overall in the first round, so take your guy and run with it! hope they saved some cash for a higher upside guy in rd 2. 

Edited by EloyJenkins

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

@Harold's Leg Lift

Thoughts on Montgomery? 

I haven't been paying attention as much because the Sox aren't at the top of the draft. 

I know we think similarly on prospects. 

Why are we asking for Harold’s opinion on prospects? Wasn’t he the poster that said Mendick would outplay Madrigal?

• Like 2
  • Fire 2

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I'm not a Montgomery guy, Jack.  

Why? Is it the 19 year old HS kid thing? 

I don't mind them taking a chance with a kid like this in the bottom half of the 1st round. I'm usually an upside >>>>>guy. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Nothing more undervalued in drafts than Northern high school kids! Less reps means more to work with and grow from. 

Yeah, I was just telling my dad the same thing.  Also. I get the concern with taking a 19 year old HS kid, but he’s also a legit multi-sport athlete with plenty of room to grow physically.  He would never have been available at #22 if he was 18.5 years old and serious value can be gained by zigging when most of the analytics heavy organizations are zagging.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, I was just telling my dad the same thing.  Also. I get the concern with taking a 19 year old HS kid, but he’s also a legit multi-sport athlete with plenty of room to grow physically.  He would never have been available at #22 if he was 18.5 years old and serious value can be gained by zigging when most of the analytics heavy organizations are zagging.

honestly reminds me of TA a bit, different players obviously, but a similar profile in the back half of the 1st round as intriguing SS.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I honestly thought he wouldn't get to 57. Too much upside. 

I wonder what the Sox do from here? 

Couldn't pay me to take a high school righty who throws 100. I wouldn't touch high schoolers throwing that hard. Growing into velocity is what succeeds more times than not. Early velocity often times doesn't hold or maintain, or leads to injury.