2021 MLB Draft Day 1 Thread

Jack Parkman

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

That Chase Petty thing never made any sense on a lot of different levels but most of all why on earth would he show up to the draft if they thought he was going to be picked 57th?

Yep yep, wondered that as well. 

6 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He's a fuckin dude and don't believe that bullshit that he can't stay at SS.  

I went to SEMO and still follow SEMO baseball, wasn't able to watch them play EIU this year. It is just crazy, EIU has been a bottom dweller for years in baseball so to see a 1st rounder come out of there is pretty cool. 

Look for Dylan Dodd (from SEMO) between 3-7 rounds, would love for the Sox to pick him up. I believe Sweeney went 1-3 off him

Edited by BigHurt3515

22 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

honestly reminds me of TA a bit, different players obviously, but a similar profile in the back half of the 1st round as intriguing SS.

Exactly, I have zero problem gambling on an athlete like this at #22.  The ceiling is pretty massive and our system is clearly lacking potential impact talent at the moment.

8 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I went to SEMO and still follow SEMO baseball, wasn't able to watch them play EIU this year. It is just crazy, EIU has been a bottom dweller for years in baseball so to see a 1st rounder come out of there is pretty cool. 

Look for Dylan Dodd (from SEMO) between 3-7 rounds, would love for the Sox to pick him up. I believe Sweeney went 1-3 off him

Dylan Dodd is an unbelievable story.  He was the 1B on the Kankakee JC world series team. He went to SEMO and found 10 mph on his fastball and now he's gonna go in the top 5 rounds.  And Sweeney hit a bomb off him.  

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Exactly, I have zero problem gambling on an athlete like this at #22.  The ceiling is pretty massive and our system is clearly lacking potential impact talent at the moment.

He is the definition of raw athlete. Looks like he has plenty of frame to add bulk to as well.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Dylan Dodd is an unbelievable story.  He was the 1B on the Kankakee JC world series team. He went to SEMO and found 10 mph on his fastball and now he's gonna go in the top 5 rounds.  And Sweeney hit a bomb off him.  

He also added a pretty good slider this off-season. If you haven't watch his start against Arkansas at the beginning of the season, his change up was pretty damn good too

Not this past season. 

https://gosoutheast.com/sports/baseball/stats/2021/eastern-illinois/boxscore/16898

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I absolutely hate the Brewers but god damn Tyler Black can flat out crank.  Great pick by those bunch of assbags.  

They need him with Hiura turning into a massive bust.  Also, I’m watching MLB Network coverage and saw Montgomery only hit .333 this year.  Is his hit tool that mediocre?  Indiana isn’t exactly Fla or Cali caliber hs baseball

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So we real talk, but if can land an over-slot guy in the 2nd, they immediately become our #2 prospect after Montgomery?  I know all clubs are re-upping right now, but the system feels like it’s in much better shape with Kelley ranked 3rd.

Absolutely. With Vaughn graduated, it’s arguably the weakest system in the game right now. Though for very different reasons than when it was last time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

They need him with Hiura turning into a massive bust.  Also, I’m watching MLB Network coverage and saw Montgomery only hit .333 this year.  Is his hit tool that mediocre?  Indiana isn’t exactly Fla or Cali caliber hs baseball

Was it that high?  I don't put any stock in HS stats but he's a longway away.

• Haha 2