2021 White Sox draft selections and signings thread

southsider2k5

https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/board/102954/Contents/d1-big-12-baseball-preview-very-long-142842938/

JC transfer Everhett Hazelwood will occupy the No. 3 spot in the weekend rotation, and he has a big arm, sitting 90-93 and up to 94 with his fastball, along with a breaking ball he can throw for strikes.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2021-02-09/2021-big-12-baseball-preview-texas-trio-headlines-packed-big-12

Pick to click: Though he had a 5.23 ERA in the shortened spring season, Hazelwood is still a big-time arm with unbridled potential. The talented right hander was strong in the fall with a fastball ranging 90-94 and up to 95 mph, while he has a good slider and developing changeup. A three-pitch mix with good command could lead to not only great numbers this spring, but also a drastically improved draft stock. [/qujote]

https://goaztecs.com/sports/baseball/roster/kohl-simas/6728

https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2021-02-11/2021-mountain-west-baseball-preview-everyones-chasing-san-diego-state

He’ll be followed in the rotation by Kohl Simas (0-0, 2.45) and Michael Paredes (1-1, 4.05). Simas is at his third school in three years, starting at Fresno City College before jumping to the University of San Diego and then across town to rival SDSU. His high-spin rate 92-96 fastball jumps on hitters and he has a sharp curveball that might be the staff’s best breaking ball.

On 7/12/2021 at 6:56 PM, quickman said:

So they sign or they are screwd? Just asking 

More or less, although if they were players who were super talented and in high demand, they would’ve gone earlier in the draft. Big time players get big time money, always have, always will. Most of these senior draft picks are just happy to get $10k and a chance. 

Keith Law

Chicago White Sox

Colson Montgomery (1) is a tall, lanky shortstop from southern Indiana who has a sweet left-handed swing. Scouts praise his approach, but he hasn’t always hit well against good pitching and didn’t face any this spring. He’s athletic enough for third base but too big to stay at short. Arizona high school shortstop Wes Kath (2) will also move to third base in pro ball, and he has a chance to develop into a plus hitter with plus power as he fills out, although I worry that he can over-rotate at the plate.

Sean Burke (3) was up to 97 early in the spring but wore down as the season progressed. He’s 6-foot-6 and gets good life on the fastball, with a 55 changeup and average-ish slider, and has some deception in the delivery. Lefty Brooks Gosswein (4) was a senior at nearby Bradley University, where he posted a 5-plus ERA this spring and last spring while facing bad competition. He has ridiculous stuff for those results – 92-96, an extremely tight-breaking curveball, a power changeup – so I get the pick, but, come on, you have to get Missouri Valley Conference hitters out with this kind of arsenal.

Tanner McDougal (5) is a very projectable high school right-hander who sits in the low 90s with a loose arm, needing some delivery refinement and the typical kind of physical maturation for a teenaged arm. They went with college seniors in rounds 6-10, probably to help go over slot for McDougal and maybe Kath. TCU senior Johnny Ray (12) can show a plus fastball but was awful in the Frogs’ rotation this spring. As for more, who wants to know

Kiley McDaniel 

chw.png&h=60&w=60

Chicago White Sox

1 (22): Colson Montgomery, SS, Southridge HS (IN)
2 (57): Wes Kath, Deer Mountain HS (AZ)
3 (94): Sean Burke, RHP, Maryland
4 (124): Brooks Gosswein, LHP, Bradley
5 (155): Tanner McDougal, RHP, Silverado HS (NV)

I liked what the White Sox did up top, getting a little bit lucky on two prep hitters who fell and then maneuvering down the board. This was always Montgomery's floor, and he was almost picked a few spots ahead of 22; this is a great upside and value pick for a system that really needed it. Kath had some interest in the late 20s and 30s, then the White Sox landed him for what I'm told is about a half million over slot, or roughly the 40th overall bonus slot. Burke is a solid third-round value as a starter with a swing-and-miss heater, Gosswein is a solid, late-rising power lefty who could fit in a few roles, and McDougal was my top riser from the draft combine. He's up to 97 mph with a heavy sinker, a slurve that is over 3000 rpm and a changeup with nice shape -- a real good starting point for an upside projection arm.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

James has been right on the money during this entire thing. Wouldn't bet against him at this point.

So Montgomery, Kath, & McDougal will come in at ~$1M over slot.  That leaves ~$2M in slot for the rest of the draft.  The Burke & Gosswein picks are worth ~$1.1 in a slot and picks 6-10 are worth ~$0.9M.  We should save ~$0.8M on that latter group of picks, which means the remaining ~$0.2M and spend over $125k in rounds 10 to 20 will come at Gosswein’s expense.  Now it makes sense why we didn’t draft a lot of preps on day three.

42 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So Montgomery, Kath, & McDougal will come in at ~$1M over slot.  That leaves ~$2M in slot for the rest of the draft.  The Burke & Gosswein picks are worth ~$1.1 in a slot and picks 6-10 are worth ~$0.9M.  We should save ~$0.8M on that latter group of picks, which means the remaining ~$0.2M and spend over $125k in rounds 10 to 20 will come at Gosswein’s expense.  Now it makes sense why we didn’t draft a lot of preps on day three.

If you include the the 5% overage Sox could spend up to $6.95 mil. Assuming all of those figures are true, Burke is slot, Gosswein is only $15k signing (per Harold?), and that Butler is the only overslot signing for past round 10, then I have them at $6.39 mil currently. That tells me Burke is likely overslot by quite a bit, and that Gosswein would be more than $15k, which is likely. I would hate for them to leave bonuses on the table if they could have taken shot at another HS kid.

11 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

If you include the the 5% overage Sox could spend up to $6.95 mil. Assuming all of those figures are true, Burke is slot, Gosswein is only $15k signing (per Harold?), and that Butler is the only overslot signing for past round 10, then I have them at $6.39 mil currently. That tells me Burke is likely overslot by quite a bit, and that Gosswein would be more than $15k, which is likely. I would hate for them to leave bonuses on the table if they could have taken shot at another HS kid.

My assumption is that Burke is slot, Gosswein will be below slot but not neatly as cheap as the seniors we selected in rounds 6 to 10, and that the Sox didn’t take advantage of the full 5% overage.

28 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Burke will be slot and Gosswein is probably $100K at least. I think Smelley and Edwards could be above as well 

Even if they’re over, do you think it will be by much, especially with Edwards being a senior? I can’t don’t understand not using all the bonuses, even in a pandemic year with limited traveling.

37 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Even if they’re over, do you think it will be by much, especially with Edwards being a senior? I can’t don’t understand not using all the bonuses, even in a pandemic year with limited traveling.

Smelley was just about to transfer right? Extra tears of eligibility meant college players had more leverage so it’s not clear we were under using bonus money.