2021 White Sox draft selections and signings thread

southsider2k5

18 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

Any word on who attended in Birmingham?  Status of Burke and Kelley?

Kelley pitched the other day in Kanny.  Burke is still technically not signed, though rumors are out there of his signing soon, or even being in Chicago to sign.

18 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Kelley pitched the other day in Kanny.  Burke is still technically not signed, though rumors are out there of his signing soon, or even being in Chicago to sign.

Sorry I had a typo.  I was wondering about Smelley.  Indications were he was undecided on signing and I was hoping for an update.  

The White Sox bonus pool is $6,618,600. They're at $6,092,000 and that's before McDougal or Smelley. McDougal is getting $850K. That puts them at $6,942,000. They basically can only do $125K for Smelley. They have $7K to play with before penalties start. Bravo to the White Sox and Jerry Reinsdorf for spending the overage amount. This is how it's done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The White Sox bonus pool is $6,618,600. They're at $6,092,000 and that's before McDougal or Smelley. McDougal is getting $850K. That puts them at $6,942,000. They basically can only do $125K for Smelley. They have $7K to play with before penalties start. Bravo to the White Sox and Jerry Reinsdorf for spending the overage amount. This is how it's done. 

Seriously, I was skeptical they’d take advantage of the full 5% overage, but super glad to be wrong here.

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I was told McDougal is getting $940k. 

17 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Seriously, I was skeptical they’d take advantage of the full 5% overage, but super glad to be wrong here.

Why though? I am not sure if there are many teams that do not spend the 5% overage that’s why I had thought Burke and Gosswein would go for more than what people are projecting.

In a way, with this class, I was hoping they didn’t spend the full 5% overage and sign the picks for what they would have gotten on another team. Sox has a tendency to overpay for college signings, their bonus to Gosswein, picks 6-12 which are all college seniors (including some 5th year seniors) only continues that trend. That limited their ability to go after another HS pick like Butler this draft, and would continue to do so going forward.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

7 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Why though? I am not sure if there are many teams that do not spend the 5% overage that’s why I had thought Burke and Gosswein would go for more than what people are projecting.

In a way, with this class, I was hoping they didn’t spend the full 5% overage and sign the picks for what they would have gotten on another team. Sox has a tendency to overpay for college signings, their bonus to Gosswein, picks 6-12 which are all college seniors (including some 5th year seniors) only continues that trend. That limited their ability to go after another HS pick like Butler this draft, and would continue to do so going forward.

Simply because of the pandemic.  Look at how we sold international slot to pay off buyouts a few years back, kind of felt like Jerry would prioritize using the 5% overage to helping the major league roster.  Obviously maxing out in the draft is a no brainer and the ~$300k shouldn’t be a big deal, but again, this is a team that didn’t spend all its international slot.

20 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I was told McDougal is getting $940k. 

18 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Unfortunately, we're going to have to pull your insider card, Harold. You're now down in the ranks with Not Steve Cishek. 

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1