2021 White Sox draft selections and signings thread

southsider2k5

Ben Cherington is doing Ben Cherington things in Pitt. Probably a good match for his philosophy, guy has a great feel for scouting and drafting.

Love Pittsburgh as a city and stadium, here's to them going on the way up and not being any sort of obstacle to the sox.

15 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Wish I could say I'm surprised.  The kid needs to get his head out of his ass.  

This is more on the team. If they knew other teams were offering more, why draft him? They wasted their pick if they knew his price.

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

This is more on the team. If they knew other teams were offering more, why draft him? They wasted their pick if they knew his price.

It's pretty uncommon to take a guy without already having a deal at that point in the draft. Harold had been alluding to maturity issues with Fabian but some of the blame has to go to the Red Sox here.

18 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The rules need to change a little bit based on this. If the player is willing to sign for his slot value, then the team should have to sign that player if they drafted him. Now if the player wants more than slot, then I agree the team can choose not to sign him. Rocker should file a lawsuit against MLB, allowing him to become a free agent. If the team chooses not to sign a player for slot value or lower, then that Player should become a free agent and not have to go back into the draft the following year. If there are concerns with health, then you shouldn't have drafted him until a round where the slot value was where you were willing to go for him. It's a disservice to this young man! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

The rules need to change a little bit based on this. If the player is willing to sign for his slot value, then the team should have to sign that player if they drafted him. Now if the player wants more than slot, then I agree the team can choose not to sign him. Rocker should file a lawsuit against MLB, allowing him to become a free agent. If the team chooses not to sign a player for slot value or lower, then that Player should become a free agent and not have to go back into the draft the following year. If there are concerns with health, then you shouldn't have drafted him until a round where the slot value was where you were willing to go for him. It's a disservice to this young man! 

Rocker wouldn't sign for slot value. They agreed to a deal at $6 million. It's a different situation. The Mets still should've signed him because that's a bargain but no way Kumar would've taken slot. The guy that got screwed was Jud Fabian. He was asking for $3 million. Baltimore was going to take him and pay him $3 million. Boston drafted him and offered him just under $2 million. He turned it down and now has to return to Florida. That really sucks. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

The problem is some players have already agreed to sign for less than slot, which is why they get drafted.  If they agree to one number, and then change their minds, they could blow up a teams entire draft class.

35 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

The Mets didn't know he was injured when they drafted him or negotiated the $6M signing bonus because he didn't submit a predraft MRI. He knew if he did it would raise red flags though most teams suspected he was injured. The Mets aren't getting the player they thought they drafted and Rocker wants to get paid like he's not injured. 

Gunnar Hoglund is injured and signed for $3.25M.  If healthy he would have received a much higher bonus. Injured players take less money but Rocker thinks he's different.  

On 7/27/2021 at 2:52 PM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Hearing there were teams that took him off the board because they thought he was hiding an injury.  Listen to your scouts.  

9 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The Mets didn't know he was injured when they drafted him or negotiated the $6M signing bonus because he didn't submit a predraft MRI. He knew if he did it would raise red flags though most teams suspected he was injured. The Mets aren't getting the player they thought they drafted and Rocker wants to get paid like he's not injured. 

Gunnar Hoglund is injured and signed for $3.25M.  If healthy he would have received a much higher bonus. Injured players take less money but Rocker thinks he's different.  

These don't really go together.  Were the Mets just dumb or intentionally ignorant then?

10 minutes ago, Markbilliards said:

Any of the draft picks playing yet?

So the only position player I saw was Hackenburg on Tuesday had 2 doubles. He was in ACL

Theo Denlinger(?) had a game in ACL and I think he's already in Kanny. And Tommy Sommer pitched relief as well. Not sure I've seen anyone else.