White Sox select Colson Montgomery #22 overall

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Then there are the guys like a Ryan Sweeney or Rutherford who never really developed into their projected power…as far as the speed goes, a lot of our guys like Moncada don’t even run that much for fear of injuries.  Surely it will be the same for Luis Robert upon his lineup return as well.  In this era, speed is great, but it’s not as important as the 70’s or 80’s, especially in a park like GRF.

Yeah but speed correlates with the ability to stick at shortstop, a guy who is a fringe average runner at 19 and 6"4 might quickly be below average when he gains another 20 pounds of muscle. 

But yeah, the power is also some concern because he doesn't have as much room to grow as a guy who is 25 pounds lighter and a year younger. 

So a lot depends on his present power, if it is legit with wood bats already that would be great but if it doesn't really show in games it would be some concern. I'm looking forward to see his minor league exit velos. 

His tee exit velo at perfect game was good but not absolute top of the line at perfect game (top guys like Witt hit 100 but there are also good drafted HS hitters in the low 90s.

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

No, not even Anderson was close to getting any NBA consideration.

“Depends on what he values. As a high upside projectable position player I’d say he should go to college, fill out that frame under a D1 strength and conditioning program. But if a mlb team comes in and offers him 7 figures to sign, we will see. I don’t see him as a top 2 round guy, but if he goes in the top 10 rounds, teams will feel pretty confident they can get him to sign.”

https://indiana.forums.rivals.com/threads/who-is-the-recently-committed-short-stop.194586/

Found this at Hoosier.com where he was an Indiana baseball commit.  This was from 18 months ago, btw.  Lots of opinions out there, some had him going as high as tenth to the Mets.

I thought this kid was a far better basketball player than Anderson

Frankly looks like an corner OFer more than a SS

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Actually speed is awesome, it basically carried two major league players on our team to mlb careers but I’ve always read Montgomery’s speed as slower than you’d expect, but his overall athleticism gives him fast twitch movements that give you hope for short. If Paul DeJong could do it, etc

Law says this guy is very athletic but doesn't run very well.

Just now, The Kids Can Play said:

Great pick from everything I've read and seen on You Tube. I just hope he signs with the Sox and play at University of Indiana where he has a full ride offer. 

He can't do both. He can't play baseball at IU after signing a professional contract.

3 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Great pick from everything I've read and seen on You Tube. I just hope he signs with the Sox and play at University of Indiana where he has a full ride offer. 

If you are referring to the basketball offer, it sounds like it is a walk on offer.

Just now, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

He can't do both. He can't play baseball at IU after signing a professional contract.

Of course not, but he hasn't signed a contract with the Sox yet. Many players each year out of HS that are drafted, skip signing with that big league club and go play college baseball. I am confident though Hahn and his staff had some conversations with Colson or they wouldn't have drafted him. At least I'm hoping that was the case. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you are referring to the basketball offer, it sounds like it is a walk on offer.

It's a baseball offer and not basketball. If you read the articles, Colson mentioned he had little interest from basketball coaches as they knew he was going to go play baseball. 

Of course not, but he hasn't signed a contract with the Sox yet. Many players each year out of HS that are drafted, skip signing with that big league club and go play college baseball. I am confident though Hahn and his staff had some conversations with Colson or they wouldn't have drafted him. At least I'm hoping that was the case. 

There is zero chance that happens here.  The Sox get pretty deep into the woods and they have been connected to this kid for quite a while now.

1 minute ago, The Kids Can Play said:

That's not how the draft rules work. If he goes to play his freshman year at IU, he has to wait until the end of his junior year to be drafted again. The Sox don't hold the rights to him indefinitely.

1 minute ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

That's not how the draft rules work. If he goes to play his freshman year at IU, he has to wait until the end of his junior year to be drafted again. The Sox don't hold the rights to him indefinitely.

I know that's not the rule. You misread my post. I was saying it's a great pick. I was just hoping he signs with the Sox and not bypass signing with the Sox and then goes and plays college baseball at Indiana. He can go play for Indiana and yes if he does, he has to play three years before being eligible for the draft. However my point was if he signs a contract with the Sox, then he can't go to Indiana and then begins his career now with the Sox. 

I know that's not the rule. You misread my post. I was saying it's a great pick. I was just hoping he signs with the Sox and not bypass signing with the Sox and then goes and plays college baseball at Indiana. He can go play for Indiana and yes if he does, he has to play three years before being eligible for the draft. However my point was if he signs a contract with the Sox, then he can't go to Indiana and then begins his career now with the Sox. 

The way your comment reads, it does not look like that. I am thinking there is a typo in your original comment.

Edited by manbearpuig

From the vids I saw of his basketball he looked like a pretty bog standard mid major recruit.  Maybe a generic high 2 star with offers from like the Western Michigans of the world.  Not a bad player by any means, obviously good enough to play D1, but his future is obviously in baseball.

Good athlete, maybe a bit stiff for a MLB SS at the moment but plenty of time to work on that.  To me the biggest question I have is his arm, and the biggest selling point I see is that he hits lefty.  A lefty hitter gets a big boost and even if as expected he does eventually move down the defensive spectrum, say to maybe 3B or RF, hitting lefty really ups his value.

I don't pretend to know enough about the other options to say if he was a good pick relative to the players available at #22 but I can certainly see the upside with him as a multi sport athlete that is currently a SS and hits lefty.

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Looking at some of his highlights, he seems to have really long arm action in his swing.  It kind of reminds me of how Adam Engel looked when he first got here, before he shortened up.

He’s got long levers see if he can put it together long term and make it work.  Reports of his exit velocity with wooden bats had him good but not great from what I’m reading.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Looking at some of his highlights, he seems to have really long arm action in his swing.  It kind of reminds me of how Adam Engel looked when he first got here, before he shortened up.

yeah, Law pointed out specifically he has power...but contact on a longer swing could be an issue against better competition. Apparently he did really well in the wooden bat league in the fall and from fall to spring he made major improvements according to Mike Shirley. He seems really heavily scouted by sox brass, so gotta be excited about what they saw. they have garnered trust as of late. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The good news is he is a lefty and seems to have some power. He also was referred to as a super hard worker and worked extremely hard at improving his SS defense. The beauty of playing for the Sox and not go play college...he will get the best coaching and they can work to get his swing ready for the big leagues. What I do like is he is a superior all around athlete. To be all state in basketball and guide your team to the state championship, as well as a quarterback for the football team two years is quite impressive. 

Edited by The Kids Can Play

• bmags unpinned this topic