White Sox select Colson Montgomery #22 overall

southsider2k5

The rest of it is, he can be an underslot signing to save money so they can take another flyer if the right player is there to overpay. I don’t know about the players taken after, but they all had one or two scouting questions just like Montgomery does. So little to none sacrifices in the talent department for the value.

24 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

With him being older do y’all think he signs quickly to get going?  Maybe start in az then low A?  Would allow high A at 20 yrs old next year 

I think regardless, with college seasons wrapped up and the later draft, there will be a lot less signing delays.

35 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

With him being older do y’all think he signs quickly to get going?  Maybe start in az then low A?  Would allow high A at 20 yrs old next year 

Going to guess that since we have been connected to the kid since Day 1, both camps already have a number in mind, and he will sign fairly quickly.  I have to imagine he starts and plays in AZ this year, and next year in Kanny.

3 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Pretty strange to be a 19 year old senior in high school. Being a year older than everyone through high school is a pretty big advantage. Especially at his size. Can't argue with his hitting though.

Just can't get TOO excited, especially when I see this

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

Too fast for a relatively inexperienced Indiana high schooler...normal progression is 3 1/2 to 5 years. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 12:16 AM, ChiSoxJon said:

Eager to follow this guy's career

Super raw, super athletic...I assume his ETA is 2024? Also likely the top prospect in front of Kelley, Cespedes, Colas*, and Thompson/Dalquist/Vera

Could this kid have really gone to the NBA?

He'll be 20 in February which isn't ideal, but hopefully pans out

I saw an interview w him on draft night and he said he was advised by coaches that his future was in baseball so that is where he concentrated. .

On 7/12/2021 at 2:35 PM, ChiSoxJon said:

Just can't get TOO excited, especially when I see this

Agreed. Many scouting departments dock a prospect big time as a 19 year old prep player. The advantage of being 19 and playing against majority 17-18 year olds cannot be overstated. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Shirley on his conference call said he expected all 20 picks to sign. History is on their side there, they haven’t lost many picks they’ve selected through rounds 1-30 at least.

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

Shirley on his conference call said he expected all 20 picks to sign. History is on their side there, they haven’t lost many picks they’ve selected through rounds 1-30 at least.

Cool. Gotta say, I love Shirley’s bulldog approach on these upside highschoolers. The Kanny kids are having problems and he’s like fuck that. I am going back in. If he fails it won’t be because he didn’t dare to take risks. Glad to be a team that is aggressive.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Cool. Gotta say, I love Shirley’s bulldog approach on these upside highschoolers. The Kanny kids are having problems and he’s like fuck that. I am going back in. If he fails it won’t be because he didn’t dare to take risks. Glad to be a team that is aggressive.

I mean what the White Sox are doing right now is basically unprecedented in contemporary baseball as far as impact from the draft.  Yea other teams have home grown talent but it's from their latin systems or guys that acquired vie trade or whatever but the Sox have an absurd amount of draft picks from the last 6 or so years contributing as solid backups to solid regulars to stars.

• Like 2

• bmags unpinned this topic