2021 MLB Draft Day 2 Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I've got to say, while I like getting a couple high school short stops the White Sox have been successful drafting for quite some time so all the fans pandering for them to change the way they pick is really confusing.

I like the strategy since if all goes well these guys will be coming up when the core pieces enter their walk years or will become really expensive

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I've got to say, while I like getting a couple high school short stops the White Sox have been successful drafting for quite some time so all the fans pandering for them to change the way they pick is really confusing.

They've done a damn good job of drafting post-Courtney Hawkins.

Their International strategy is annoying, to say the least. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

@bmags has talked about this a lot. It was real easy to hate Hostetler's draft philosophy of safe depth picks, especially since they didn't really start coming along until recently. But now that those depth picks are supplementing a core of free agents, trade acquisitions, and international signees, Shirley's philosophy seems better moving forward to reload for the next generation.

• Like 2

Just now, Eminor3rd said:

Getting Kath in round 2 should justify any uncertainty we have about choosing Montgomery in round 1. Suggests to me that Montgomery will sign underslot. As a pair, that's a great outcome for picking as late as the WS are this year.

Very similar to last year where we essentially got two first round talent picks, and gave up dollars late to do it.

• Like 2

Load up all the youngsters with upside potential. At very best, they hit the timeframe of Anderson/Moncada leaving and at very best/worst if they show anything huge, they can be used as better trade chips to continue the window run. LOVE this philosophy and love that they are looking at lefty's with great exit velocity that have performed with wood bats as well. 

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

@bmags has talked about this a lot. It was real easy to hate Hostetler's draft philosophy of safe depth picks, especially since they didn't really start coming along until recently. But now that those depth picks are supplementing a core of free agents, trade acquisitions, and international signees, Shirley's philosophy seems better moving forward to reload for the next generation.

That's fine, and again I don't hate the picks, but high school players are riskier and getting draft picks to the big leagues to be productive is really the name of the game. I know we all want the next superstar, but getting average to above average big leaguers year after year is how you maintain success. Just like in everything sports related, the "unknown" always feels more exciting - which is what high schoolers are - but there's nothing wrong with getting big leaguers in the draft who might have "limited" ceilings which has proven to be a bunch of BS time and time again.

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

My main worry is still that Hostetler's drafts lacked system balance. And if Shirley is going to run drafts often like last year, we may still have a balance issue.

But as weak as our Middle Infield depth was as an org, our pitching is terrifying right now if they can't transition Kopech and Crochet to starters. I am happy the got cespedes and colas, but thats where we really need to see latam supplement the org with young arms and so few make an impact past single a. All eyes on Mena, Guzman, and definitely Vera.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

The fact that competetive balance picks exist is still ridiculous 

every year I think I'm prepared to not get mad about them, then a bunch of tweets on a team with 2 more draft picks in top 50 than anyone else gets a "great draft" comment and it makes me want to throw my phone.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

That's fine, and again I don't hate the picks, but high school players are riskier and getting draft picks to the big leagues to be productive is really the name of the game. I know we all want the next superstar, but getting average to above average big leaguers year after year is how you maintain success. Just like in everything sports related, the "unknown" always feels more exciting - which is what high schoolers are - but there's nothing wrong with getting big leaguers in the draft who might have "limited" ceilings which has proven to be a bunch of BS time and time again.

Yep. Everyone should count on one of these 2 being a bust.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

every year I think I'm prepared to not get mad about them, then a bunch of tweets on a team with 2 more draft picks in top 50 than anyone else gets a "great draft" comment and it makes me want to throw my phone.

The Tigers brilliant maneuvers of being in the correct market got them Ty Madden.