2021 MLB Draft Day 2 Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

Marginally - the 5th rounder was ranked 150ish, Kath was 50ish
And they punted 6 picks for this.

It's necessary now, man. Lets see what they do tomorrow. For example, if they pay a guy $150K tomorrow, it costs $25K against pool. If they did that today, it counts as $150K. There are reasons for doing this. 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It's necessary now, man. Lets see what they do tomorrow. For example, if they pay a guy $150K tomorrow, it costs $25K against pool. If they did that today, it counts as $150K. There are reasons for doing this. 

Exactly. All teams were doing it today. It's almost comical at some points hearing the TV broadcast try and be complimentary to a guy that will flame out in 1-2 minor league seasons

8 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Exactly. All teams were doing it today. It's almost comical at some points hearing the TV broadcast try and be complimentary to a guy that will flame out in 1-2 minor league seasons

I think the mlb guys more than any other draft shows know this may be the big even for these guys and are in on trying to make that special for them.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Marginally - the 5th rounder was ranked 150ish, Kath was 50ish
And they punted 6 picks for this.

21 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah, you really have to understand how the math works here.  Also look around baseball.  Pretty much all of MLB picked players exactly the same way.

• Thanks 2

Just now, beautox said:

I wonder what it will take to sign Stovall, would love to see Montgomery, Kath, and Stovall come up together. 

The Sox don't have the bonus to make that work, plus he's firm on going to school.

The Royals might be able to do it but I think that's the only team who can take a real swing at signing him.

4 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I think this is wrong.  He wasn't the 80s was he?  I think Jody Davis would have been an acceptable answer.  

The funny thing is that very first major league game was at Wrigley against the Cardinals in 1978 or 1979…Garry Templeton was my favorite player then, along with Claudell Washington for the Sox.

Jody Davis Eyes feels more early 80s still…some overlap there.

On 7/12/2021 at 4:55 PM, ptatc said:

Very intrigued by this one. Like the motion, the ranking and the descriptions.

Burke may well be the most interesting player we drafted. Great size, and his stuff shows big time potential. 

Sox generally have developed pitching well, and I expect him to rise up our prospect lists

• Like 1