2021 MLB Draft Day 2 Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

16 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Hearing there were teams that took him off the board because they thought he was hiding an injury.  Listen to your scouts.  

Refusing to participate in the pre-draft medicals and MRI should have been a clue.

53 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Hearing there were teams that took him off the board because they thought he was hiding an injury.  Listen to your scouts.  

The Mets should just give him the $6 million anyway. Kumar Rocker is a bargain for that money and it's a much better alternative than taking the #11 pick next year after basically punting the rest of their draft this year to sign Rocker. Just horrendous process. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The Mets should just give him the $6 million anyway. Kumar Rocker is a bargain for that money and it's a much better alternative than taking the #11 pick next year after basically punting the rest of their draft this year to sign Rocker. Just horrendous process. 

This new ownership group doesn't seem like the type to try to squeeze a guy for an extra few hundred K, but at the same time, I wouldn't be sad if they lost Rocker because of it.

56 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The rest of their draft should be okay right since they planned on him being overslot?

58 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think they should sign him but not for $6M. Rocker should have to take a haircut for this.  

13 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think they should sign him but not for $6M. Rocker should have to take a haircut for this.  

Why though? They have the $6 million. Do you believe in the player or not? It makes no sense to possibly sour the relationship over peanuts. He's likely going to be worth multiple millions in value very soon. 

10 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Why though? They have the $6 million. Do you believe in the player or not? It makes no sense to possibly sour the relationship over peanuts. He's likely going to be worth multiple millions in value very soon. 

They also aren't losing major league time or salary because of this.  If a surgery does happen, it will be on his minor league contract. 

6 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

If it's true he's hurt and hid it that means he lied to the team. He soured the relationship first.  I don't care how good he is that behavior should not be rewarded.   Take your haircut and get to work on getting healthy. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Was there anyone else they drafted and failed to sign?

Well if that rumor had legs, they were talking about taking Colson Montgomery at #10, getting him underslot, and taking more high schoolers intead.  So no they didn't miss out on the signing of someone they drafted, but they would take a haircut on the quality of the class for sure.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

God I love Rocker not signing.  Now he says he's not going back to Vandy he's going to workout in preparation for the draft.  In other words he's going to keep trying to hide hi imjury.  I wouldn't touch that dude with a 10 ft pole. 

In this case the rules suck!  Make him a free agent and let other teams take a shot at him...and you know someone would!  Feel bad for him!

• Like 2

On 7/27/2021 at 3:09 PM, ptatc said:

Refusing to participate in the pre-draft medicals and MRI should have been a clue.

Knowing that the team that drafts you can just recoup that pick next year if they don't sign you, that seems like a really bad play on the part of the player/agent.

1 hour ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

In this case the rules suck!  Make him a free agent and let other teams take a shot at him...and you know someone would!  Feel bad for him!

That wouldn't work because everyone would try to game the system and become free agents.  Being able to trade draft picks would help but not in this situation because no one would give value for Rocker right now.  The Mets would still be better off with next years 11th pick over 50 cents on the dollar for Rocker.  

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

That wouldn't work because everyone would try to game the system and become free agents.  Being able to trade draft picks would help but not in this situation because no one would give value for Rocker right now.  The Mets would still be better off with next years 11th pick over 50 cents on the dollar for Rocker.  

There could be a rule such as the team has to offer a high percentage of the slot value...and if the player refuses it then the team gets the pick back.  I guess I am looking at it from the player's perspective.  

22 minutes ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

There could be a rule such as the team has to offer a high percentage of the slot value...and if the player refuses it then the team gets the pick back.  I guess I am looking at it from the player's perspective.  

This rule does exist. It is a percentage of slot value.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

I thought the Mets didn't offer this kid a contract?

They did but Rocker wouldn't take the haircut.  The Rangers 2nd round pick Aaron Zavala also had something come up on his physical and he took the haircut and is now getting his career started while Rocker will sit on his brains for a year.  It's always something with him.  

• Like 1