2021 MLB Draft Day 2 Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

26 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

That's fine, and again I don't hate the picks, but high school players are riskier and getting draft picks to the big leagues to be productive is really the name of the game. I know we all want the next superstar, but getting average to above average big leaguers year after year is how you maintain success. Just like in everything sports related, the "unknown" always feels more exciting - which is what high schoolers are - but there's nothing wrong with getting big leaguers in the draft who might have "limited" ceilings which has proven to be a bunch of BS time and time again.

I think you are oversimplifying this into thinking people just want HS forever. This is a good draft to go prep infielder because they are deep, and they need more young talent in their org. It's not a problem to be more college heavy but sox were pretty much college exclusive for 5 years when at the same time signing robert meant an inability to add some of the higher rated 16-18 year olds from latam. It created a huge gap from the guys graduating charlotte now to Kanny, and we just hope a guy like romy gonzalez is another surprise that helps the sox.

But high schoolers that are drafted offer premium athleticism that rarely gets its way onto college campuses, so there is higher upside for a star. Sox paid a lot to get guys like that in their rebuild, there is nothing wrong with targeting them. They just need more balance. 

And lastly, being top 25 vs top ten makes me want high schoolers more as they really do seem to have hit better in the 20s than many of the college guys. Look at how the cubs frantically tried to find plug and play college pitchers for years while dodgers got a bunch of prepsters. There is no easy answer in the draft.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

St. Louis has the sixth biggest fan base, Detroit is seventh.  Both waaaay bigger than the Sox.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/235719/facebook-fans-of-major-league-baseball-teams/

Those are facebook/social media fans. I'm not sure that would be the criteria for media market. Seems to me that would be too easily manipulated by other teams. If you go by attendance St Louis is higher but Detroit much lower. It would need to be some algorithm of revenue generating factor to be fair.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

St. Louis has the sixth biggest fan base, Detroit is seventh.  Both waaaay bigger than the Sox.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/235719/facebook-fans-of-major-league-baseball-teams/

the "competitive balance" picks are absolute horse shit.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 4

One guy I think could be interesting and cheaper is Ben Casparius from UConn

BA Grade: 45 | Risk: Extreme
Fastball: 45 | Slider: 55 | Changeup: 60 | Control: 45

Casparius saw occasional playing time as an infielder and a reliever during his 2018 and 2019 seasons at North Carolina before transferring back to his home state to play for Connecticut. After sitting out 2020, Casparius broke through with an outstanding 2021 campaign, tying for seventh in the nation in strikeouts with 123 punchouts in 88 innings through the end of the regular season. At 6 feet, 208 pounds, Casparius isn't that big, but he has a quality three-pitch mix, operating off a fastball that sits at 89-93 mph and can reach 95. His fastball is arguably his third-best pitch, with a pair of secondary offerings that can miss bats. His go-to offspeed pitch is his slider, a 50 to 55 offering on the 20-80 scale. Some scouts see a potential plus slider, and he leans heavily on his fastball/slider combination against righthanded hitters. Against lefties, Casparius mixes in more changeups, and while he doesn't use it as much as his slider, it's the pitch that gets the highest whiff rate. His changeup flashes plus with excellent lateral action at its best and sometimes good drop as well, a true swing-and-miss pitch against pro hitters. Casparius is a good athlete with an efficient, repeatable delivery, but his fastball command needs to improve, which is why some scouts see his future in the bullpen. Others see a starter's three-pitch mix and enough strikes to project him as a solid back-end starter.

This sounds like a hostetler pick, but I'd be interested at this point in draft. 42 walks to 20 strikeouts. And sox have showedd that we are in an era of positionless baseball!

Hickey was scouted frequently out of high school thanks to playing on the same Providence High team in Jacksonville as Tyler Callihan, who was drafted by the Reds in the third round in 2019. Hickey was a solid offensive prospect in his own right and thought at the time to be an above-average hitter with above-average power, albeit with defensive questions. That continues to be the reputation Hickey has after two seasons with Florida. This spring he was the best hitter on a strong Gators team. He posted a .317/.435/.522 line with nine home runs and more walks (42) than strikeouts (20). Hickey hammers fastballs and has done well with 93-plus mph velocity this spring and tries to access his easy plus raw power with a leveraged and steep uphill swing path. That’s allowed him to do damage to his pull side on pitches middle and down, but there is a hole at the top of the zone that better pitchers might be able to expose more often. A good feel for the strike zone and a willingness to take walks should take some of the pressure off of Hickey’s pure bat-to-ball skills. A team that thinks Hickey can stick behind the plate might like his bat among the top-50 picks in the draft, but most of the industry seems to think he’ll have to move off the position at the next level. His arm is more serviceable than above-average or plus and he needs plenty of work as a receiver and blocker to get to even fringe-average defensive ability.

32 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

So the Hitters program has produced Lux, Rortvedt, Kelenic, O Miller, Vuckovich, N Miller and Binelas.  That's not a fluke.  

Wisconsin has a lot of talent overall.  Their travel organizations do a great job in preparing the kids.   They have amazing facilities and programs up in Wisconsin.  

13 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

The MLB way of 10 lowest revenue and 10 smallest markets isn't bad but it seems to be missing some factors.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

me when I hear a name I vaguely recognize:

"Aww Great pick"

After the first two rounds it's like everyone is drafting european basketball players. If I recognize them, I like the pick. If I don't, I'm easily convinced one way or another.

• Like 1

Ranked #312 prospect in 2021 draft
Gosswein is a 6-foot-2, 205-pound lefthander with big-time sinker life and a four-pitch mix. The 22-year-old will run his fastball up to 95 mph and it sits 90-93 but he profiles as a ground-ball pitcher. He has a slider and a slurvy curveball that both touch average, and the two pitches can blend together. When they do, he can get some swings and misses. The changeup has flashed better than average, making it a solid mix for an athletic southpaw with arm strength.