More Moncada hot takez

joejoesox

On 7/8/2021 at 9:24 AM, Lillian said:

Just to interject another point about Leury; He now has as many RBI's as Moncada, in fewer at bats. He has actually played very well. Nevertheless, you all know that I believe that the Sox need one impactful, middle of the order LH bat. The RH hitting T. Story is not the answer and would be too expensive. I still think it will be Escobar. 

Moncada has been a massive disappointment.  I'm sure I'll take some flak for saying that but I'm sure I'm not the only Sox fan on these boards who agrees, this was the main piece for Sale remember.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Moncada has been a massive disappointment.  I'm sure I'll take some flak for saying that but I'm sure I'm not the only Sox fan on these boards who agrees, this was the main piece for Sale remember.

There's a guy on another board I post on that claims that the Sox got nothing for Sale. He believes Moncada sucks and Kopech will be a reliever. 

I will admit, I was really excited about both players entering 2020 and then Kopech opted out and Moncada got Covid. 

Even this version of Moncada is still a solid player but you do expect more than that when trading Sale. 

Moncada's current value is tied entirely to his walks so I wonder what his value would be if he wasn't walking so much. 

Even if Moncada kept doing what he’s doing in 2021, (a ~.400 OBP and SLG) I'm not sure you'd pick up his option year. 

Kopech still has the potential to start but I do wonder if he's ever getting out of the bullpen at this point. He just doesn't have enough innings. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Can we keep the Moncada hot takes to one thread?

I don't think it's a hot take really. It's acknowledging reality. Moncada is a solid regular but not a star or anything. 

If you combine his 2019 slugging% and HRs with his 2021 walk rate, that's a top 5 player in baseball. I just don't know if we're ever going to see the power from 2019 ever again. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think it's a hot take really. It's acknowledging reality. Moncada is a solid regular but not a star or anything. 

Well he’s been terrible, then superstar, then injured-terrible, and now weak OBP machine GG.  

Who is the real Moncada?  And what makes you assume solid regular is correct?  Just curious

Edited by Jerksticks
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Well he’s been terrible, then superstar, then injured-terrible, and now weak OBP machine GG.  

Who is the real Moncada?  And what makes you assume solid regular is correct?  Just curious

That is the question, because all of those are accurate from 2018-present.

Weak OBP Machine GG Moncada is a solid regular. He's just so damn inconsistent from year to year. I have no idea what to expect from him. 

I hope you get .550 SLG, 25+ HR Moncada with a .380+ OBP in 2022-24, that would be great.

I guess solid regular is the average off all 3....the correct answer is I don't know? 

Don't get me wrong, I still think Moncada is a good player but if he doesn't get his power back I don't think he's worth his contract during the last 2 years of it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, joesaiditstrue said:

lol what a terrible take. I swear some of our fans hate every player on the team. Moncada's WAR among 3B:

2019: 6th

2020: 4th

2021: 6th

If that's your definition of "massive disappointment" you're just delusional

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Moncada is 3rd in fWAR among all 3rd basemen from 2019 to 2021

I know, but most of that value over the last 2 years has been defensively rather than offensively. 

He's been kinda like Heyward with the Braves and Cardinals the last 2 years. 

BTW fangraphs loves his D but OAA hates his D, so TIFWIW. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If you combine his 2019 slugging% and HRs with his 2021 walk rate, that's a top 5 player in baseball. I just don't know if we're ever going to see the power from 2019 ever again. 

Of course You don’t think saying the Sox wouldn’t pick up his option is a hot take. What a waste of our sweet boards server space.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Of course You don’t think saying the Sox wouldn’t pick up his option is a hot take. What a waste of our sweet boards server space.

That's only if he's the same guy from this year going forward. If Moncada ever finds his power stroke, it's a no brainer. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I know, but most of that value over the last 2 years has been defensively rather than offensively. 

He's been kinda like Heyward with the Braves and Cardinals the last 2 years. 

BTW fangraphs loves his D but OAA hates his D, so TIFWIW. 

I love that he's capable of playing top notch defense. While he doesn't swipe a lot of bags, his elite speed is an awesome asset and contributes to his high WAR. High OBP, speedy and GG defense. I have faith he'll find his HR stroke again at some point.

On reason they'd decline his option is some type of massive injury or scandal.

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I love that he's capable of playing top notch defense. While he doesn't swipe a lot of bags, his elite speed is an awesome asset and contributes to his high WAR. High OBP, speedy and GG defense. I have faith he'll find his HR stroke again at some point.

On reason they'd decline his option is some type of massive injury or scandal.

There are plenty of things to like about Moncada's game even this year. The only issue is the power. He fixes that he's a bonafide top 10 player in baseball. 

I haven't seen him murder a fastball since ST. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

The injury riddle White Sox have been too good this year for some of you, that you gotta find holes on this team where there are none, and current holes have been talked about ad nauseam.  Moncada will be fine....even though he's played injured a lot this year, he is fine.  

Edited by TheBlackSox8
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Quin said:

Hot take: No White Sox third baseman will ever again record a song ever approaching the quality of Desastre Personal

Here it is again, because it's a bop: 

"Why can't Yoan be more like Pat Boone. I wish Pat played third base for the White Sox. It would be swell."

- SoxTalk anti Yoan Moncada brigade

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Haha 1

Better to argue he's not (yet) the superstar a #1 prospect in the game ranking foreshadowed.  We've had just one season of that offensively and one defensively (depending on how one counts 2020), minus the 20/20 or 30/30 as he's also missing the big stolen base numbers that were originally attached.  He's not the franchise or Mr. White Sox many hoped for in terms of branding. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

I may be proved wrong so don't dump on me but I think Moncada and Abreu will improve when Jiminez and Robert are back in the line-up, at the moment the production pressure lies heavily on those 2 and in the past Abreu has chased balls and extended his strike zone when he lacked support around him. Moncada's lack of power this season could still be a legacy of covid as it can have a lingering affect on some people, but the real question is if not Moncada who is a better (realistic) option for 3rd?

• Like 1

Bc of injury and covid I'm not willing to commit to what I think moncada will be going forward. 

As is I'm ok with it with disappointment in his power. Yes, as of now, he's not hitting like we all hoped he would. 

I personally think he'll find his power stroke as the season goes on and into next get and this thread will be laughed at. 

20 minutes ago, Capital G said:

Bc of injury and covid I'm not willing to commit to what I think moncada will be going forward. 

As is I'm ok with it with disappointment in his power. Yes, as of now, he's not hitting like we all hoped he would. 

I personally think he'll find his power stroke as the season goes on and into next get and this thread will be laughed at. 

I can take care of that for you right now.

• Fire 4