More Moncada hot takez

joejoesox

Trying to find my post from around the all-star break where I said I think he will find his home run stroke and finish between 20-25 for the season but there’s so many threads where people were bitching about Moncada that it seems impossible to find lol

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

31 minutes ago, bmags said:

Ah, the post from all of last week when Parkman said if the Sox hadn’t signed him to an extension they probably wouldn’t even pick up his option lol

That's not what I said. I said if the power didn't come back it would be tough to pick up his 2025 option at $25M. 

• Haha 1

Yoan Moncada is currently ranks 30th of qualified hitters in terms of wRC+ at 136.  He’s also ranked 29th in overall defensive value and 17th in fWAR.  He’s currently on pace for a 5 to 6 win season.  His ceiling may be higher simply because he’s one of the most physically gifted players in the game, but he’s hands down been our best position player and one of the best in baseball.  The hot takes in this thread about him are an absolute abomination.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 2

Moncada is now playing like the 5 tool super star, for whom some of us have been waiting. If anyone wants to fault us for wanting this version of Yoan, feel free to do so. I just hope that this is the guy we see, going forward. Few of us have ever doubted that he has the talent to be great. It's just that some have been content to accept less.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yoan Moncada is currently ranks 30th of qualified hitters in terms of wRC+ at 136.  He’s also ranked 29th in overall defensive value and 17th in fWAR.  He’s currently on pace for a 5 to 6 win season.  His ceiling may be higher simply because he’s one of the most physically gifted players in the game, but he’s hands down been our best position player and one of the best in baseball.  The hot takes in this thread about him are an absolute abomination.

Listen, we all realize that Moncada is really damn good. The issue is that everyone expected Tatis and they didn't get it. Which leads to more lamenting about the idiot that traded Tatis. 

14 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Moncada is now playing like the 5 tool super star, for whom some of us have been waiting. If anyone wants to fault us for wanting this version of Yoan, feel free to do so. I just hope that this is the guy we see, going forward. Few of us have ever doubted that he has the talent to be great. It's just that some have been content to accept less.

It feels like you are week to week with the guy.  He has done nothing but be awesome all year and just last week you were ready to bounce him for Jake Burger.  And he is a left handed power hitting middle of the order hitter which makes it all the more baffling.  Let the guy play 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Listen, we all realize that Moncada is really damn good. The issue is that everyone expected Tatis and they didn't get it. Which leads to more lamenting about the idiot that traded Tatis. 

Well, that and the fact he went through a tough/er 2017 and 2018…and was a couple of years behind in general due to the immigration issues with Cuba/international players and being so talented that he developed some bad habits that weren’t exposed until he got to the big leagues (both defensively and hitting from the RH side).

But look at Kelenic or Wander Franco now at .208.  

Vladdy Guerrero came up at a really young age and took a couple of seasons to find himself.  Byron Buxton can’t ever stay on the field. Or Ohtani as well having a number of setbacks.  Then there’s the all-time poster child for unrealized talent in Josh Hamilton.

It’s natural for every fan to want the next Soto or Acuna, Jr…but that’s in that rarefied Top 3-5 or MVP air very few ever breathe.

6 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

It feels like you are week to week with the guy.  He has done nothing but be awesome all year and just last week you were ready to bounce him for Jake Burger.  And he is a left handed power hitting middle of the order hitter which makes it all the more baffling.  Let the guy play 

I beg your pardon. I am quite certain that I never suggested that he should be "bounced for Jake Burger". I think perhaps you have me confused with someone else. If you read my posts, I have consistently said that he is a 5 tool talent, whom I hope will realize his potential and live up to his lofty expectations. Again, if you want to fault me for wanting this recent version of Moncada, I'll plead guilty to that. This is the guy, whom I have always believed he could and should be. Any player with that much talent, should not settle for anything less. Ironically, perhaps it is I, who has the higher opinion of Yoan. Those who accepted the fact that he wasn't hitting for power, apparently didn't seem to have any problem, because they were so thrilled with his defense and his high OBP. 

You are correct, in pointing out that he is the left handed, power hitting, middle of the order hitter, for whom I have been clamouring. The problem was that he was not providing that power. This recent power surge is precisely what I have wanted. Hey, I'm with you. I'm thrilled. The only difference is that, unlike some, I wasn't thrilled with his 5 home runs, at the All Star break. 

I remember when his idol, Robinson Cano was musing about Yoan's unlimitted potential, as a rookie. The future HOF star said that Moncada could be better than he is, because he had the speed, which he lacked. I guess I'm in good company, in that I share having such high regard for Yoan's talent.

Edited by Lillian

37 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

After watching Burger play 3B a couple times, idk how anyone would prefer Burger at 3B to the superior Moncada.

• Like 2

This is not aimed at any poster in particular. But the fact that basically one hot week from Moncada can bring this round of recriminations and reversals speaks volumes to the depth of analysis behind the Moncada "hate."  There's no reason to change your fundamental opinion of Moncada based on three HRs or a short hot streak.  He was awesome before and he's still awesome.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

This is not aimed at any poster in particular. But the fact that basically one hot week from Moncada can bring this round of recriminations and reversals speaks volumes to the depth of analysis behind the Moncada "hate."  There's no reason to change your fundamental opinion of Moncada based on three HRs or a short hot streak.  He was awesome before and he's still awesome.

100% agree.

3 hours ago, manbearpuig said:

Trying to find my post from around the all-star break where I said I think he will find his home run stroke and finish between 20-25 for the season but there’s so many threads where people were bitching about Moncada that it seems impossible to find lol

Just search your posts by left clicking  your avatar that's in the upper right of the screen. If it's not on the 1sr page showing click on see my activity also at the upper right on that 1st page.

This guy's WAR is only slightly higher than Jose Ramirez'. What a huge disappointment. I had high hopes for Yoan Moncada. I can't believe the Sox traded Chris Sale for him and that hack Kopech, who Donaldson just teed off of last night. Robbed. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think he looks like a mediocre 3B. He has a good arm but everything else defensively is below avg.  If he hits it doesn't matter. He's an intriguing trade chip. 

If someone believes in him, by all means cash in. He's blocked anyway. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think he could easily return an excellent reliever.  Not saying that should be the goal but he has trade value similar to the return the Sox got in the Kahnle deal imo.

Rutherford?   That trade was complicated by the Frazier and Robertson salary dumps…