How did the Sox do in the 2021 draft (discussion thread)?

Dominikk85

I like the 1-2 they got. 

They did punt a lot of picks to get it done with seniors but 

They got Montgomery at 21, Kath at 57 and McDougal at 155

Longenhagen has Kath at 27, Montgomery at 36. 

That is a solid plus for those two spots and McDougal has upside too, Burke probably is an OK depth piece too 

Let’s wait and see how today goes.  I love the big four selections, but it’s not entirely fair to say they punted a lot of picks when they could still add some overslot guys today.  I’m not sure how much Kath & McDougal will eat into their savings from all the senior selections, but it definitely seems like they should have some bonus pool to work with today.

• Like 1

One thing I will add is this draft will hopefully do a good job of giving Kannapolis a pretty interesting roster next year. Montgomery & Kath should own the left side of the infield and will join guys like Bailey, Comas, Glass, Veras, Sanchez, Tatis (maybe), & Mendoza from the ACL club and possibly a repeat guy like Beard to form a promising young positional core.  On the pitching side we’ve just added Burke & possibly McDougal to a staff that could also include interesting arms like Vera (at least initially), Guzman & Mena.  That’s a pretty nice roster behind what should be a loaded Winston-Salem club.  The upper minors will remain incredibly weak, but we can’t expect to fix everything overnight.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I like the 1-2 they got. 

That is a solid plus for those two spots and McDougal has upside too, Burke probably is an OK depth piece too 

Burke is a much more interesting pick than you are selling him as. Definitely has the build and motion to be a starter and has a great fastball. 

• Like 2

They got two of the better prep bats in the class. Two top 50 draft prospects. They also grabbed a solid college starter who will definitely stay in the rotation. The prep pitcher is a bit under the radar but they liked him enough to pay a significant bonus. The 4th rounder is a decent prospect too. They’ll add more talent today and then we can really stack the class in order. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The Sox absolutely created room for some more high school picks today, plus they still have the extra 5% overage to add to it.  Between those two flows, they could have up to an extra 600 to 700,000 dollars to spend.  They could in theory put together almost a million dollars to one player, depending on how the spending from Day 2 works out.  

7 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I like the 1-2 they got. 

Burke might be my personal favorite pick

So far Montgomery, Kath, Burke, and McDougal are all top 30 guys immediately when they sign

Some of these throw ins (Gosswein, Broadway, Denlinger, even Ellard) are interesting at the moment as well

• Like 1