White Sox power outage

Chimpton

Despite being in first place and with the biggest lead in the MLB the White Sox are 24th in team home runs, compared to 3rd in last season's abbreviated effort, and 25th in 2019. Was last season just an aberration in a shortened season? Or has missing Jimenez and Robert  affected us that badly? And finally does it really matter as long as runs and wins keep coming?

Last year we were third in homers, this year we are terrible.

Losing eloy and Robert hurt, losing Grandal hurts worse. We may see more second half from Abreu, TA and Moncada but this will not likely be a power team. Home runs are good though as Sunday showed

I would venture that it’s an odd combination of factors.  The difference in the ball between 2020 to 2021.  Eloy and Robert are a large chunk missing.  Guys starting slow like Grandal, or having down years power-wise like Abreu and Moncada.  Vaughn adjusting to big league pitching before showing his power.  Too many other bats in the lineup lacking power.  Etc.    

Edited by Tnetennba
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They may be in 1st place and have an 8 game lead, but they haven't hit enough HRs. Total fail.

After all the losing we have witnessed the past decade, why can't fans just enjoy the winning?

I don’t think the OP was complaining. 

• Thanks 2

Vaughn has started to figure things out. He's likely to put up some good numbers in the 2nd half. Overall, though, the decreased power numbers don't worry me too much. Playoff type pitchers don't give up many long balls and scoring runs without HR's is what will decide how far the Sox go in the playoffs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They may be in 1st place and have an 8 game lead, but they haven't hit enough HRs. Total fail.

After all the losing we have witnessed the past decade, why can't fans just enjoy the winning?

I am happy, it was a genuine question about whether or not home runs really matter that much, can a team hitting so few home runs do well in the post season? 

Pardon my apparent ignorance of these things, I'm an English White Sox fan who is trying to learn the more detailed aspects of the game and sometimes my questions may be a bit obvious to you guys!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, beck72 said:

Vaughn has started to figure things out. He's likely to put up some good numbers in the 2nd half. Overall, though, the decreased power numbers don't worry me too much. Playoff type pitchers don't give up many long balls and scoring runs without HR's is what will decide how far the Sox go in the playoffs.

Yeah Ok I do think second half has more advantages. Engel, Sheets and Burger all have a power element that first half replacements Hamilton, Mercedes and mendick didn’t offer as much. add in positive regression from Moncada and Abreu and getting back Eloy and that should be better even with losing grandal.

And maybe Collins starts getting after it too.

21 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It sounds more like he's worried the winning won't last.

39 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

I am happy, it was a genuine question about whether or not home runs really matter that much, can a team hitting so few home runs do well in the post season? 

Pardon my apparent ignorance of these things, I'm an English White Sox fan who is trying to learn the more detailed aspects of the game and sometimes my questions may be a bit obvious to you guys!

Welcome aboard! No need to apologize. Your post and questions were fine. We're all Sox fans here and few of us are experts. 

• Thanks 1

Its probably a combination of a new baseball doing what it was meant to do, the loss of key home run hitters, and nagging injuries to the hitters who have remained sapping a bit of power.  I think the all-star break, plus the infusion of a healthy Eloy and Robert will fix a lot of the problems.

I am WAY more worried about the pitching holding up to the innings load than I am the power numbers.

• Thanks 1

Robert and eloy are 30 hr guys, eloy probably a 40 Homer guy. That is already over 30 bombs missing. Grandal is about where you expect him to be (but now out), vaughn is about on a 20 hr pace which is solid but more like average (not saying he can't be better in the future), abreu has slightly regressed (high 20s pace) and Tim has regressed a lot (mid teens pace this year).

And then you have several no power guys (0-5 homer pace) getting at bats like Hamilton,  Goodwin,madrigal (now out), leury, mendick, Eaton (now out)

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Its probably a combination of a new baseball doing what it was meant to do, the loss of key home run hitters, and nagging injuries to the hitters who have remained sapping a bit of power.  I think the all-star break, plus the infusion of a healthy Eloy and Robert will fix a lot of the problems.

I am WAY more worried about the pitching holding up to the innings load than I am the power numbers.

I want to see what a post-sticky stuff world does + the return of Eloy and Robert.

Moncada's not a light-tower power dude. He's a line-drive home run guy, so of course a dead ball is going to sap his home run total, along with a hand injury. We've had a rotating cast of Charlotte Knights and minor-league signings. There are easy things to cite for a power outage and the Sox are still putting up runs.

Perhaps the better question is; Why are those who want to see this team win it all, criticized and ridiculed for wanting the team to get better?  La Russa is well known for sharing that kind of competitive drive. If a team wants to be champions, they must always strive to be better and to fix any deficiencies. I'm sure that the skipper would quickly eschew any comments, such as "we're in 1ST place, so what are you complaining about?" It's not complaining, it's striving to improve and be the best.

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Perhaps the better question is; Why are those who want to see this team win it all, criticized and ridiculed for wanting the team to get better?  La Russa is well known for sharing that kind of competitive drive. If a team wants to be champions, they must always strive to be better and to fix any deficiencies. I'm sure that the skipper would quickly eschew any comments, such as "we're in 1ST place, so what are you complaining about?" It's not complaining, it's striving to improve and be the best.

Considering his history of melting down at reporters for asking the wrong questions...

Just now, black jack said:

Add 30-35 homers to our total.  
Whete do they rank then?

That’s where we would be if the injuries didn’t happen.

If I add 32, it takes them to 124, placing them 4th, ahead of the Dodgers and behind the Twins.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Fans are fickle and for the most part stupid, honestly. For a decade the Sox had a horrible team OBP and a bad offense.  Now we have a great OBP and a good offense and moar homerz is the cry from a certain segment.  Good grief.