White Sox power outage

Chimpton

9 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Elite SP and a good offense fueled by walks and good situational hitting.  That’s where the +115 runs come from.

True I forgot the starters have had a good first half, and the situational hitting does seem better than recent years.

48 minutes ago, Quin said:

The 2005 White Sox were 20th in offensive production, 13th in RBIs, 18th in batting average, 15th in OPS. They were 5th in home runs. They just happened to be full of magic and scored runs and the correct time all season long.

The current iteration is 4th in offensive production, 4th in RBIs, 4th in batting average, 7th in OPS. They are 24th in home runs. 

If you add a full season of Robert and Eloy hitting missiles, we're not talking about a "pitching and power" team, we're talking about a "pitching and well rounded offense" team, but you aren't happy with winning despite suffering four massive injuries to a lineup, for some reason.

I'm ecstatic. I probably watch more games than anyone here because of workers comp and no family commitments. But sure you know me so well I'm unhappy.

Look you are just using semantics saying the Sox become more than pitching and power with imaginary full season of Robert and Eloy at their peak.  That is not what we should be counting on when they return.

The point was you need pitching and power to make an impact in the playoffs and the Sox are missing a lot of power . Can they make do staying down at the bottom of the AL in HR's and still make a run through the playoffs ? Sure if you believe in miracles.

Sorry I didn't know I wasn't allowed to be happy with the current team but also be concerned about the playoffs .

33 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm ecstatic. I probably watch more games than anyone here because of workers comp and no family commitments. But sure you know me so well I'm unhappy.

Look you are just using semantics saying the Sox become more than pitching and power with imaginary full season of Robert and Eloy at their peak.  That is not what we should be counting on when they return.

The point was you need pitching and power to make an impact in the playoffs and the Sox are missing a lot of power . Can they make do staying down at the bottom of the AL in HR's and still make a run through the playoffs ? Sure if you believe in miracles.

Sorry I didn't know I wasn't allowed to be happy with the current team but also be concerned about the playoffs .

HR rankings by World Series teams:

2014: KCR - 30, SFG - 17
2015: KCR - 24, NYM - 8
2016: CLE - 18, CHC - 13
2017: HOU - 2, LAD - 11
2018: BOS - 9, LAD - 2
2019: HOU - 1, WSN - 13
2020: TBR - 8, LAD - 3

Rankings by offensive fWAR:

2014: KCR - 12, SFG - 6
2015: KCR - 9, NYM - 6
2016: CLE - 6, CHC - 1
2017: HOU - 1, LAD - 2
2018: BOS - 2, LAD - 1
2019: HOU - 1, WSN - 8
2020: TBR - 13, LAD - 1

It seems that a much better indicator is the overall quality of offense instead vs. how many jacks you can hit.

As for you being unhappy:

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think I like this answer the best . HR's are good very good in fact.Going forward I'm sorry if I cannot share Dick Allens view about just being happy with winning after so many losing seasons . That sounds to me like we should all be grateful the Sox finally have a winning team on the field and should not expect to play in the World Series.

Either you're happy with wins or you're not happy with wins, unless you're statement meant you're not happy with how they're winning. But you clearly stated that you're not happy with something.

This season is an aberration when two of your three biggest power hitters (alongside Abreu) go down and the team keeps winning.

• Fire 2

1 minute ago, Quin said:

It seems that a much better indicator is the overall quality of offense instead vs. how many jacks you can hit.

Either you're happy with wins or you're not happy with wins, unless you're statement meant you're not happy with how they're winning. But you clearly stated that you're not happy with something.

This season is an aberration when two of your three biggest power hitters (alongside Abreu) go down and the team keeps winning.

Eight games up: If it isn't broke, fix it 'til it is.  Works for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm with Quin on this one.

You say you're ectsatic but you really seem upset, Cali.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 2

15 minutes ago, Bossanoveralls said:

I'm with Quin on this one.

You say you're ectsatic but you really seem upset, Cali.

You know me about as well as he does. Rick Hahn is happy over current status of a very injured team and the contributions of bench players and the pitching staff. Rick Hahn if he trades for Escobar and relief pitching is concerned about the playoffs . Is that not possible ?

We got a 100 people here saying the team needs help at the deadline. We all have varying degrees of how much help we think we need and in what areas are the biggest needs. Why the Mighty Quin should choose me to tell me I'm unhappy I have no idea. Is it just because I explain in depth why we need help or should I just say Duh yea we need more HR's but I'm good with whatever and avoid his unhappy with me wrath ?

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You know me about as well as he does. Rick Hahn is happy over current status of a very injured team and the contributions of bench players and the pitching staff. Rick Hahn if he trades for Escobar and relief pitching is concerned about the playoffs . Is that not possible ?

We got a 100 people here saying the team needs help at the deadline. We all have varying degrees of how much help we think we need and in what areas are the biggest needs. Why the Mighty Quin should choose me to tell me I'm unhappy I have no idea. Is it just because I explain in depth why we need help or should I just say Duh yea we need more HR's but I'm good with whatever and avoid his unhappy with me wrath ?

Well, you DO seem upset.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quin said:

1 hour ago, Quin said:

You can use whatever indicator you want. There are an equal amount of times in the World Series you listed where the higher offensive fWAR teams lost as there are times where the team with the higher HR totals lost. 3 each

The more pertinent question is how many of the teams in the world series got there by being 14th in the AL or 24th or worse in all of baseball. You listed 14 teams in 7 world Series. Only the outlier KC teams of 2014 and 2015 were able to do that and they had some of the best defense in baseball for those years by far and a stellar bullpen while they played in a much larger ballpark that suited their team better. If you had gone back only as far as 2016 there would be no teams listed who were as low as the Sox are now and the Sox play in a HR friendly park.

As far as being unhappy goes by the bolded Going forward I'm sorry if I cannot share Dick Allens view about just being happy with winning after so many losing seasons . All that meant was I won't be happy with winning if it means  I should forget about serious runs at a World Series victory. Can you imagine if Rick Hahn said just be happy we are winning now after so many losing seasons without throwing in the competing for multiple championships .

I don't think many here would be happy with that statement. Ok just be happy and hold hands and sing Kumbayah because we are winning more than we are losing but don't be expecting any World Series appearances. Maybe that works for you I don't know.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

The Sox top 4 OF coming into spring training, all spent some significant time on the IL. Mocada has been banged up. Abreu has been banged up. TA hasn't hit many homers, he had leg issues. Grandal has been banged up. Vaughn had growing pains. He seems to be finding himself. I am all for getting a guy who hits homers to play 2B, but if their roster is relatively healthy by the playoffs, power is not going to be an issue.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

The Sox top 4 OF coming into spring training, all spent some significant time on the IL. Mocada has been banged up. Abreu has been banged up. TA hasn't hit many homers, he had leg issues. Grandal has been banged up. Vaughn had growing pains. He seems to be finding himself. I am all for getting a guy who hits homers to play 2B, but if their roster is relatively healthy by the playoffs, power is not going to be an issue.

If. the roster can still be relatively healthy. Moncada is relatively healthy because he can play every day but he cannot hit HR's because of shoulder problem or something.  Eloy and Robert and Grandal could be relatively healthy because they all can play but does that mean they be will be back to our normal power expectation of them. If is  a very big  small word.

SO I take it the Sox should stand pat you will continue to be happy because  they win the division ?

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If. the roster can still be relatively healthy. Moncada is relatively healthy because he can play every day but he cannot hit HR's because of shoulder problem or something.  Eloy and Robert and Grandal could be relatively healthy because they all can play but does that mean they be will be back to our normal power expectation of them. If is  a very big  small word.

SO I take it the Sox should stand pat you will continue to be happy because  they win the division ?

I'll be really happy if they win the division. A 2b makes sense and a releiver or 2. If  Eloy and Robert come back, Goodwin and Engel isn't a bad platoon in RF. Other than that, their line up is fine.

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I'll be really happy if they win the division. A 2b makes sense and a releiver or 2. If  Eloy and Robert come back, Goodwin and Engel isn't a bad platoon in RF. Other than that, their line up is fine.

I am also having a hard time wanting to put someone in front of Engel right now. Escobar really does seem like the perfect piece, and maybe someone like Dan Winkler for RP.

Just now, bmags said:

I am also having a hard time wanting to put someone in front of Engel right now. Escobar really does seem like the perfect piece, and maybe someone like Dan Winkler for RP.

The other thing is he wants Gallo and the reports are his price tag is daunting. 

45 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Can you be more specific ? Starlin Castro (Nats) Brad Miller (phils) Escobar (az) Joe Panik (Mia), Brock Holt (Tx) Asdrubal Cabrera (az) Josh Harrison (Nats) Jonathan Schoop (Det), Trevor Story, Javy Baez ? All of those guys are free agents next year.

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The other thing is he wants Gallo and the reports are his price tag is daunting. 

I've  been a big supporter of both Engel and Goodwin but I keep being told that Engel improvement against RHP is BABIP inflated and a mirage and that Goodwin can't field his way out of a paper bag and it's best not to rely on them as starters especially if Goodwin is going to get most of the plate appearance in RF due to his lefthandedness.

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Power  even less an issue with Escobar. There we go you want more power same as I do since I realize Gallo is pretty much a pipe dream. But I am allowed to dream. @bmags dreams all the time on big name acquisitions. Maybe his are all Free Agents I don't remember.