7 inning DH's and extra innings runners going away?

southsider2k5

5 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Don't really mind the 7 inning double headers.

The runner on base in extra innings should go away. I'd be fine if they started doing that in the 12th or 13th inning, regular season only.

I wouldn't mind it for the 13th. Let a team bat through the order once (3 innings) before placing the guy on 2nd.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Key phrase in that tweet about the extra inning runner is "...in the 10th..." I would imagine they will put the runner on 2nd starting in the 12th, which I am completely fine with.  Nobody except maybe like .1% of fans (so like 1/1000) really wants to sit at the park long after booze has been cut off and watch the 13th inning.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

The only bad thing about this is that they won’t do it immediately 

edit: They should prohibit teams from scheduling split 7 inning doubleheaders, that’s some grade A bullshit

Yeah...agree!  The 7 inning game is the worst idea they have tried to implement so far in my opinion!  I get trying to tweak things to see what works and what doesn't...but 7 innings is not a MLB game!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

Extra innings rule should be abolished and never spoken of again, but attending summer doubleheaders is the best part of baseball fandom. If 7-innings are a way to get more doubleheaders, I'm willing to make a deal with the devil and sacrifice 2 innings. 

Agreed. I’m ok with 7-inning doubleheaders that are on the schedule when it comes out. Everything else is 9. Maybe 8 total…one against each team in the division, home and away. Knock a week off the regular season, and stay away from November World Series games.

If the purpose of the 10 th inning rule was to shorten the game and save bullpen arms, it has been a success as most extra inning games have been decided in the 10th inning.  It tends to benefit the weaker teams which would have been hard pressed to get a man on second with no outs, and also benefits teams lacking a strong, deep bullpen.  Have no problem with starting the rule in the 12 th rather than the 10 th. To balance things out and prevent marathon games.

I wouldn't mind this: build in one 7-inning straight doubleheader against each division opponent per year, two home and two away for a total of four.

This creates four more off days per year, which can be used to reduce the need for unscheduled doubleheaders (which would be 9 innings if needed).

Try to backload the off days to reduce the need for unscheduled doubleheaders.

Also, I like pushing the runner on 2nd back from the 10th to the 12th or 13th.

2 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

Don't really mind the 7 inning double headers.

The runner on base in extra innings should go away. I'd be fine if they started doing that in the 12th or 13th inning, regular season only.

I would be fine if they would stop changing the game.  Replay and electronic balls and strikes are fine with me because they are an effort to "get it right."  Don't try to win over non-fans while being a turn-off to most purist fans.  Baseball records are made to be broken...not distorted.

• Love 1