2022 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

14 hours ago, fathom said:

I’m surprised at how highly Druw Jones is ranked.  Every at bat I see from him against good pitching, he pounds the ball into the ground.  For those that are bored, the Phillies Scout Team youtube channel was fun to watch over the Summer and Fall.

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

I saw Pipeline has him number 1 now

Plus-plus runner with potential for plus power and he's the best defensive CF in the class already. He's going very, very high. 

35 minutes ago, fathom said:

I saw Pipeline has him number 1 now

I believe it.  It's either Jones or Elijah Green.  They're both speciman's. Green has more power but it comes with more swing and miss. The other top guys all have their warts. Terrmar is (maybe) a 2B and some question if his swing will translate at the next level. Brooks Lee won't stay at SS. Who knows where Jung is going to play and I heard there's some makeup stuff there. Berry can't play 3B so he's a 1B/DH. DeLauter might be the best player in the draft but he's going to be tough to evaluate playing at a smaller D1.  Carter Young has to cut down on the swing and miss. The top college pitchers (Prielipp, Pallette, Crawford, Rocker??) are either injured or coming back from injury. It's going to be a very interesting spring to see how all this shakes out.  

Walter Ford, RHP, Pace

Ever since reclassifying from the 2022 class, Ford’s name has continued to generate helium as more and more organizations have been out to see him and have had the chance to chat. This is premium arm talent up to 97 mph at just 16 years old. He’s got definitive feel for spin, and although Ford is still learning how to harness his big stuff, the arm talent alone has some teams drooling. In terms of pure stuff, there’s some similarities to 2021’s Bubba Chandler. The White Sox dipped into the prep ranks pretty heavily in 2020 and 2021, and we believe that trend continues as they work to stretch what’s appearing to be the potential for a very long competitive window. One college arm to watch here is Gabriel Hughes, a righty out of Gonzaga.

This is who they've pegged as the White Sox selection. 

On 1/6/2022 at 11:16 AM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Too much velocity too soon and he doesn't have the frame to support it.  There's also effort to the delivery.  That kind of guy scares the crap out of me.  Besides if they go HS pitcher which I would be surprised if they did you would have to think Dutkanych would be the guy. 

Agreed.  His velocity seems to be completely derived from arm clocking more than getting into his legs or letting drift help to disconnect the lower and upper half.  

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like BA posted it's top 100 draft prospects for 2022 a few days ago.

Count me in on Schultz.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2022-mlb-draft-top-100-prospects/

Noah Schultz

Oswego (Ill.) East HS LHP

Notes:

Ht: 6-9 | Wt: 225 | B-T: L-L
Commit/Drafted: Vanderbilt
Age At Draft: 18.9

Extremely tall and lanky, Schultz pairs present stuff, deception and eye-popping spin rates to put together an attractive and rare package of traits for any pitcher—let alone a 6-foot-9 prep lefty. Schultz throws from a lower, three-quarter arm slot that is a nightmare angle for lefthanded hitters and creates difficulties for righties as well. Typically, pitchers of his size struggle to repeat their deliveries and throw strikes consistently, but Schultz is an impressive athlete with excellent body control who has shown a great ability to command a three-pitch mix and field his position. He throws a fastball in the low 90s, as well as a slurvy, mid-70s breaking ball that has slider shape but curveball velocity separation. Both pitches have high spin rates, and he also throws a straight change in the 78-80 mph range that could develop into a reliable third offering. Schultz is committed to Vanderbilt but is viewed as a potential first-round pick and is solidly inside the top tier of prep lefties in a 2022 class deep in that demographic.

Edited by DirtySox

Forgive my musings, but what a weird profile for Termarr Johnson. I feel like you don't often see a draft profile like this for what one would consider the #2 draft prospect. Also he doesn't have a college commitment?

Termarr Johnson

Mays HS, Atlanta SS

Notes:

Ht: 5-8 | Wt: 194 | B-T: L-R
Commit/Drafted: Uncommitted
Age At Draft: 18.1

Johnson has one of the most unique profiles for a top-of-the-class high school prospect in many years. He’s a 5-foot-8, 194-pound shortstop who most scouts view as a professional second baseman, but his incredible feel for hitting and lightning quick bat make him a legitimate candidate to be the No. 1 overall pick. There have only been six prep second basemen taken in the first round in the draft’s history, and if he is selected as a second baseman on draft day, Johnson has a great chance to top Delino DeShields (2010, No. 8 as the highest-ever drafted prep player at the position. Johnson has the best pure hit tool in the 2022 class, with an extensive track record of performance over the showcase circuit in 2021, as an underclassman and with USA Baseball’s national teams. He has the rare amateur combination of excellent bat-to-ball skills, an advanced approach at the plate with impressive pitch recognition and zone awareness and more power than you would expect given his frame. He can show plus power when he turns on a ball but is equally capable of slapping an outside pitch the other way for an opposite field single or double. He’s unfazed by quality velocity, he tracks breaking balls and offspeed offerings well and he can confidently spit on pitches just off the plate. His supplemental tools are more average, though he does have quick hands and instincts as a defender in the infield. He has a solid first step, but his speed is average, and he should fit best at second base, where he has the tools to be a fine defender. Scouts skeptical of Johnson will point to limited projection and supplemental tools; others point to 70-grade hit and plus power projections from a lefty bat who should stick on the dirt. Johnson is uncommitted but should be one of the first picks off the board.

Edited by DirtySox

10 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Forgive my musings, but what a weird profile for Termarr Johnson. I feel like you don't often see a draft profile like this for what one would consider the #2 draft prospect. Also he doesn't have a college commitment?

Johnson might have 70 hit and 70 power 

10 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Looks like BA posted it's top 100 draft prospects for 2022 a few days ago.

Count me in on Schultz.

The physical evaluation of Schultz is pretty easy.  He's an enormous intimidating presence on the mound with a funky arm slot that makes hitters look foolish. He can spin it, has feel for a change and has a good chance for above avg command despite all those long levers he's a decent athlete.  The questions with him start with the mental/toughness side.  He didn't pitch last spring and no one really knows why.  He did show up on day one of the summer and was ready to go and even had a couple outings in the fall where he threw 70-80 pitches.  If he comes out this spring and continues that he's an easy 1st rounder and likely top half of the first rounder.  If he comes out of the gate slow or his innings/outings are being managed by his agent (Boras) people will start to question how much he really wants it. 

• 2 weeks later...

26. White Sox — Blade Tidwell, RHP, Tennessee

Carlos' take: Another BPA selection for me here and another college arm who should be a conundrum with his shoulder issues. Hopefully, he gets healthy and can take the ball because he has some of the best stuff, size and starting track record in the class. Assuming health, I would think this might make some sense for a White Sox team who is in win-now mode.

Scout’s take: I see that you like going back to pick from the same tree. This reminds me of the White Sox selecting Crochet out of Tennessee. Tidwell is another reliever that could get to the show quickly. Crochet went through a little soreness as well, but was able to bounce back. Hopefully, Tidwell does the same.