2022 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

BA did a staff draft today. Not a mock draft, but who they would pick after assigning staff members to specific teams. Again, not a mock based off any intel.

26. White Sox 
Player: J.T. Williams, SS/OF, Rockwall-Heath HS, Rockwall, Texas 
Writer: Carlos Collazo

Rationale: Have you seen J.T. Williams' swing? It's gorgeous. He was a standout performer at last summer's Area Code Games and this spring he's only added more strength. His is one of my favorite swings in the class and I’m making an upside play here with a hitter instead of one of the many pitchers who could make sense in this range. I could regret passing on Brock Porter or Blade Tidwell, but give me a dynamic middle-of-the-field Texan with a 60-grade name.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2022-mlb-draft-baseball-america-staff-draft-v-10/

Edited by DirtySox

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

BA did a staff draft today. Not a mock draft, but who they would pick after assigning staff members to specific teams. Again, not a mock based off any intel.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2022-mlb-draft-baseball-america-staff-draft-v-10/

I found it so annoying in that that they didn't actually link to JT Williams swing lol

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

If it is a injured college pitcher, are they likely to be under slot so we could pick up some more interesting/expensive options later?

I doubt it. Slot there is like $3 million and I doubt any of those guys would be under. 

That mock has Ferris to the Sox with a mention of Clifford as an underslot? Or maybe a second round guy? Either way, BA scouting report below. Currently ranked 69th.

Ryan Clifford

Pro5 Baseball Academy, Apex, N.C.OF

Notes:

HT: 6-3 | Wt: 206 | B-T: L-L
Commit/Drafted: Vanderbilt
Age At Draft: 19.0
Clifford developed a strong reputation as a hitter by playing up throughout his travel ball career and developing a solid track record with power potential in a strong, 6-foot-3, 206-pound frame. He’ll need to hit, as he has an offensive-forward corner profile and limited supplemental tools. He’s a below-average runner who will fit best in a corner outfield position or at first base and his swing works more thanks to excellent timing and a strong approach rather than explosive bat speed. Clifford is committed to Vanderbilt.

Edited by DirtySox

BA updated and expanded draft rankings. Also getting a new mock draft soon.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2022-mlb-draft-top-prospects/

The biggest and some interesting movement I see in the top 50ish are as follows:

Andrew Dutkanych from 43 to 15.

Noah Schultz from 30 to 16.

Zach Neto from 42 to 26.

Robert Moore from 19 to 28.

Dylan Beavers from 38 to 31.

JR Ritchie from 44 to 32.

Kumar Rocker from 28 to 35.

Jacob MIller from 70 to 37.

Hunter Barco from 23 to 39.

Jackson Cox from 71 to 40.

Justin Campbell from 54 to 43.

Jonathan Cannon from 64 to 46.