Harold's Leg Lift

Sparse scouting report on Gilbert.

Drew Gilbert

Tennessee OF/LHP

Notes:

HT: 5-9 | Wt: 185 | B-T: L-L
Commit/Drafted: Twins '19 (35)
Age At Draft: 21.6
Gilbert is a small center fielder listed at 5-foot-9, 185 pounds, but he’s shown scouts a solid blend of power, speed and arm strength and has a good track record of performance with Tennessee. In 2021 Gilbert hit .274/.341/.437 with 10 home runs and 10 stolen bases, and evaluators also thought he acquitted himself nicely last summer with Team USA.

Looks like he's currently slashing .346/.471/.654. 24 BBs to 21 SO with 4 bombs on the year. And I presume he sticks in CF no problem otherwise he wouldn't be ranked nearly as high?

Edited by DirtySox

BA has Anthony ranked at 89th which is a jump from 139.

Roman Anthony

Stoneman Douglas HS, Parkland, Fla.OF

Notes:

HT: 6-3 | Wt: 190 | B-T: L-R
Commit/Drafted: Mississippi
Age At Draft: 18.1
Anthony has impressive raw power from the left side and turned on a few eye-opening home runs last summer. That power has also come with a bit of an all-or-nothing approach at the plate. Anthony will swing and miss frequently within at-bats, but when he does connect he can send the ball out of any park. If he can find a way to make more contact without sacrificing too much power, he could vault up draft boards. Anthony is a Mississippi commit.

Edited by DirtySox

Lesko will still be the top pitcher selected.  The draft is so damn late most of the top pitchers won't throw after the draft which is another result from dumbass Manfred having zero feel for the game. A lot of teams are figuring this out so all the injured pitchers should still go pretty high. Jack Leiter's first pro game was April 10.  If an injured guy debuts on July 1 he only misses a few months of development time.  It's a no brainer.

Pipeline mock.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mock-draft-mlb-2022?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

26. White Sox: Zach Neto, SS, Campbell (No. 26)
For four straight years (2016-19), the White Sox took a college bat in the first round. Neto has the chance to stick at short and has hit his way into first-round consideration with a .373/.493/.682 line.

11 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

6'9'" HS Lefty Schultz looks interesting

He's only pitched once this spring because of mono though some think he's being managed by Boras.  He's supposed to get back on the mound in the next couple weeks.  If he's as good as he was in his previous outing Boras will probably shut him down again and ride that to a top 10 pick.  

Baseball America mock today. Have the White Sox taking Whisenhunt.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2022-mlb-mock-draft/

Carson Whisenhunt
East Carolina LHP

Carlos’ Take: Like many of the college pitchers in this range, Whisenhunt is difficult to place but no one really questions his pure stuff and it’s not like he’s dealing with an injury. We’ll get a better feel for where he slots when he gets back on the mound (it sounds like he’s going to pitch in the Cape Cod League) but most scouts view him as a first round talent so I’m not letting him slide out.

Mock Draft Range: 16-29

Edited by DirtySox

Whisenhunt was ruled ineligible to pitch this season for those that didn't know. Failed a drug test.

"Over the winter break, I took supplements I purchased at a nationwide nutrition store that resulted in a positive test," Whisenhunt said. "Unfortunately, under NCAA rules I'm not allowed to participate in the 2022 college baseball season. I'm disappointed I won't be able to play this season and sincerely apologize to my teammates, coaches, family, friends and fans.

Carson Whisenhunt

East Carolina LHP

Notes:

HT: 6-3 | Wt: 205 | B-T: L-L
Commit/Drafted: Never Drafted
Age At Draft: 21.7
Whisenhunt was East Carolina’s No. 2 starter in 2021, pitching behind eventual first-rounder Gavin Williams, and has a chance to follow both Williams and righthander Jeff Hoffman as first round arms from the university in the last nine years. Whisenhunt has the classic “safe college lefty” profile that teams covet in the draft and while his stuff isn’t overpowering, it’s solid across the board. He throws a fastball in the 90-95 mph range and pairs it with a swing-and-miss changeup in the low 80s and a solid curveball in the upper 70s. His changeup is arguably the best in the class, and certainly one of the best of the college group. He throws it often (26% of the time in 2021, per Synergy) and it generated whiffs at a 59% rate last spring and continued to be effective last summer with USA Baseball’s Collegiate National Team. Some scouts want to see Whisenhunt add more physicality and power to his game, and he does have more room to add strength to a lean, 6-foot-3, 205-pound frame.

Edited by DirtySox