2022 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Eh, Virginia guys have so much unfucking to do with their swings.

Steele Walker was a no for me because it was a situation of only the sox thinking he'd stay in CF and with average power he kinda needed to. Hasn't seemed like people doubt his ability to be CF.

And is he really finding power this year or just consistency with it? Power is coming from more xbh not just homers.

Hard at this side of the board. I would rather go a bit more of a bet on higher end traits but I think this skepticism is already kinda baked into a late first pick.

Everyone on Tennessee has found their power this year.  It’s crazy looking at their stats.  Such a cocky team, but they back it up.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Everyone on Tennessee has found their power this year.  It’s crazy looking at their stats.  Such a cocky team, but they back it up.

I guess the one thing I'd say is he feels like a guy that wouldn't improve under the sox as much as slowly atrophy from all of his college numbers until we are saying when he's brought up as a 25 year old 26th man "wow another white sox first rounder made the big leagues" lol

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

That's a mighty big if.

Why were you okay taking a shot on an injured, no track record Crochet with an 11th overall pick but against people using a pick on Rocker in the late first?

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

I guess the one thing I'd say is he feels like a guy that wouldn't improve under the sox as much as slowly atrophy from all of his college numbers until we are saying when he's brought up as a 25 year old 26th man "wow another white sox first rounder made the big leagues" lol

I feel like it’s also the Madrigal effect for me where he plays like the 4th or 5th best player in the lineup.  Also, I cringed when he grounded out weakly in a big spot last night on a 3-0 pitch.  Seemed like a perfect Sox player.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I feel like it’s also the Madrigal effect for me where he plays like the 4th or 5th best player in the lineup.  Also, I cringed when he grounded out weakly in a big spot last night on a 3-0 pitch.  Seemed like a perfect Sox player.

Fortunately next year we'll be back near the top ten (jk maybe) but woof at a draft where we are just sorting through a bunch of college outfielders. I don't know, I kinda like brock jones. His swing looks nice and easy and just looks like a guy that would be on the dodgers and you'd look up and he'd have a .900 ops but you'd be saying isn't very good.

Dunno much about the Prospects Live folk(s), but people post the mocks here occasionally.

https://www.prospectslive.com/prospects-live/2022-mlb-mock-draft-n78w7-st9r4

26. Chicago White Sox
Tucker Toman, 3B, Hammond

The White Sox have a million names on their board at this point, with a total wait-and-see situation on their hands. They liked Toman a ton, but they also like pitchers like Hughes and Campbell a bunch as well. They’ve been connected to  Gilbert, as well as prep outfielders Roman Anthony and Ryan Clifford. It’s hard to know what direction they’ll go at this point, but given Toman is still on the board at this point, that’s my best guess.

They have Gilbert going 17th and Rocker going 22nd since that seems to be the discourse of the hour.

BA scouting report on Toman below. Have him ranked 70th in the class.

Hammond HS, Columbia, S.C. 3B

HT: 5-11 | Wt: 183 | B-T: B-R
Commit/Drafted: Louisiana State
Age At Draft: 18.6
Toman has impressive power potential as a switch-hitter and is an offensive-oriented infielder who had an up-and-down summer. At his best, Toman barreled the baseball and sprayed line drives and deep fly balls all over the field, but he also had events where he swung and missed consistently and got himself out with bad chases on pitches out of the zone. Scouts are likely to be all over the map with Toman after this summer, and he might wind up being a polarizing prospect because of that. He’s committed to Louisiana State.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Dunno much about the Prospects Live folk(s), but people post the mocks here occasionally.

https://www.prospectslive.com/prospects-live/2022-mlb-mock-draft-n78w7-st9r4

They have Gilbert going 17th and Rocker going 22nd since that seems to be the discourse of the hour.

BA scouting report on Toman below. Have him ranked 70th in the class.

They also have the Sox taking Florida prep Roman Anthony in round 2. I would be ecstatic with that draft. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They also have the Sox taking Florida prep Roman Anthony in round 2. I would be ecstatic with that draft. 

I would be too. Adding prep guys with high ceilings in back to back drafts would be a huge boost to the system.

Law on Rocker's recent outing and draft status.

As for Rocker’s draft status this year, if he pitches like this two or three more times, holding his stuff for longer outings and showing a bit more command, he’ll probably get back into the first round. If any team drafting up top decides his medicals are clean/not a concern, he’s a top-10 talent in the class. The probability of one team deciding that seems pretty high, but if I were to place money on this, I’d bet it happens in the back half of the round, where the opportunity cost is lower – think the Nationals with Lucas Giolito, or the Guardians with Brady Aiken. I did see Padres’ GM AJ Preller there, along with at least four other scouting directors or senior executives from other teams drafting after the Padres select at pick No. 15.

This was certainly enough of a showing to move him back up everyone’s pref lists, at least for now, and he can continue to build on it and try to dispel any fears about his health by showing that huge velocity again and again.

https://theathletic.com/3349630/2022/06/05/kumar-rocker-return-mlb-draft/

Edited by DirtySox

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

At the right price,  it is worth the risk.

This. Sale and Scherzer arms were supposed to fall off. Sales eventually did but Scherzer dominated forever. Sometimes you just don’t know. Draft the stuff and hope for health and or a successful surgery and long subsequent career. 

• Fire 1

Seems BA has updated the top 300 draft rankings.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2022-mlb-draft-top-prospects/

Will note some of the bigger or relevant jumps/drops in the top 50. Though plenty of this movement is reflected in recent mock drafts. Number in parenthesis indicates the previous ranking.

10. Cam Collier (19)

16. Jett Williams (41)

17. Zach Neto (26)

18. Justin Crawford (29)

19. Kumar Rocker (35)

20. Gabriel Hughes (42)

21. Drew Gilbert (50)

22. Landon Sims (30)

23. Robby Snelling (73)

24. Brandon Barriera (13)

25. Jacob Melton (71)

27. Justin Campbell (43)

31. Cooper Hjerpe (48)

32. Jordan Beck (17)

34. Jackson Ferris (12)

35. Andrew Dutkanych (15)

36. Sterlin Thompson (52)

37. Connor Prielipp (22)

39. Ryan Cermak (105!)

40. Tucker Toman (70)

44. Dalton Rushing (92)

45. Noah Schultz (16)

47. Josh Kasevich (82)

49. Walter Ford (25)

50. Brandon Sproat (123)

Edited by DirtySox

On 4/3/2022 at 9:09 PM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Cermak is a dude.  He's a Dude dude.  The internet guys will start catching up soon. 

BA has him up to 39 from 105 now. Kudos.

Notes:

HT: 6-1 | Wt: 205 | B-T: R-R
Commit/Drafted: Never Drafted
Age At Draft: 21.1
BA Grade: 50/High

Tools: Hit: 50. Power: 60. Run: 55. Field: 60. Arm: 60.
Paul DeJong, Owen Miller and now Ryan Cermak. The Redbirds of Illinois State have been known to produce a prospect or two, and Cermak has drawn plenty of scout love to Normal, Ill., this spring. The athletic, strong 6-foot-1, 205-pound righthanded hitter has soared up draft boards this spring and projects to be one of the first center fielders off the board in July. Offensively, Cermak swings a dangerous stick, with plus bat speed and aggression. When squared, he generates exit velocities up to 110 mph. None of his 19 home runs were cheap and after slashing .340/.441/.696 he established himself as one of the most dangerous hitters in the country. If there are any holes in Cermak’s offensive approach, it lies in the fact that he’s a dead pull hitter. Pitchers would find success this spring with executed fastballs and sliders away, and sometimes off the plate. Driving the ball the other way more consistently will work in Cermak’s favor as opposing arms will quickly learn not to challenge him middle-in. Cermak’s play on the defensive side is equally impressive. With a highlight reel that’s loaded with Sports Center Top 10 type plays, there’s no question in the minds of evaluators he will continue to shine in center field at the professional level. How about arm strength? He’s been up to 95 off the mound, which gives him another asset in the grass. Cermak will turn in above-average run times down the first base line, giving him a complete package of above-average of better tools.

Edited by DirtySox