2022 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is 100% wrong.  No team just signs all slot players.

100% Correct.  What teams do is pay some picks under-slot without completely punting.  White Sox don't do that.
Here's your list of 2021 punters:

Cubs (6, 10), Dodgers (9, 10), Mariners ((5,9,10), Pirates (5,6), Royals (9), White Sox (6,7,8,9,10).

Edited by GreenSox

14 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

100% Correct.  What teams do is pay some picks under-slot.  White Sox don't do that.
Here's your list of 2021 punters:

Cubs (6, 10), Dodgers (9, 10), Mariners ((5,9,10), Pirates (5,6), Royals (9), White Sox (6,7,8,9,10).

Again, 100% wrong.  The #1 pick in the 2021 draft was signed for 2 million underslot.  In the first round alone teams picked lower rated players to sign to lesser bonuses at the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 13th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 23rd, 24th, 26th, 27th, 28th, and 29th picks. 

Also I know from the top of my head that the Mets punted on a ton of picks trying to make room for Rocker.

I mean if you don't believe me, pull up this list of draft picks and signings.  In the 10th round alone there are FOUR players who signed for slot.  4! 

In the 10th round the Sox signed their pick for 20k.  In that same round 6 other teams signed their picks for less money, including the Dodgers, Padres, Twins, Cubs, Braves, Giants.  Take a team like Tampa who signed a player for just 3k underslot in round 10.  Their 9th round pick was signed for $17,600, or about 133k underslot.

Texas had a 2nd round pick signed for $830k, or $1.1 million underslot.

Houston had a 5th round pick signed for $47.5k or 300k+ underslot.

So yes, I don't know what your made up definition of "punt" is, but the Sox are exhibiting the same behavior as the other teams who are the most successful in the MLB draft.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Will the Sox punt picks 5-10 again, or will they try a more nuanced approach this time?

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Everyone who signs overslot players punts on picks.  That is actually the nuanced approach to drafting.

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

Very few teams punt picks and no other team punts 5-10.

The third day 11-20 is basically more beneficial than late day two now. The White Sox will absolutely be “punting” picks. With a tiny bonus pool, they’ll try to spend close to $6 million on their first 4 guys. To pay for those players, you need to draft seniors in 5-10 for like $10K. It’s smart and lots of teams do this. In rounds 11-20, you can spend $125K without it counting against your pool. For example, taking a college arm ranked in top 200 in 7th round and paying him $200K costs $200K against the pool. Doing it in round 11 counts $75K only. For FutureSox, I always list the names in order of bonus given instead of round because it’s much more significant. In order to use the pool space, you have to sign all the players in the first 10 rounds. That’s basically why it’s done this way. Even the punted picks have value though. Horn and Weems were used in trades. Sousa is in the big leagues. Gil Luna will pitch in the majors. My advice is to pay more attention to the players chosen on day 3 than in rounds 5-10. 

Edited by Y2Jimmy0
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 2

6 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Again, 100% wrong.  The #1 pick in the 2021 draft was signed for 2 million underslot.  In the first round alone teams picked lower rated players to sign to lesser bonuses at the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 13th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 23rd, 24th, 26th, 27th, 28th, and 29th picks. 

I just listed the punts in the prior post.  No team came close to what the Sox did.   What you are describing IS  nuance:  drafting a lower rated player so they can save slot.  The Sox don't do that:  they completely punt 5 picks and sign them for 10K.   Actually sometimes the Sox do "reach" a bit, but still pay them slot or above.   

100% correct.

Edited by GreenSox

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

I just listed the punts in the prior post.  No team came close to what the Sox did.   What you are describing IS  nuance:  drafting a lower rated player so they can save slot.  The Sox don't do that:  they completely punt 5 picks and sign them for 10K.   Actually sometimes the Sox do "reach" a bit, but still pay them slot or above.   

100% correct.

I just gave you a list of other significantly below slot picks and you ignored them. 

It's just you literally making up a standard to get mad about that you won't/can't explain, and then claiming to be right.

They also didn't sign all of their picks for 10k.  Round 6 was 30k, round 8 was 20k as was 10.

4 hours ago, GreenSox said:

100% correct.

They went way overslot in rounds 2,3, and 5. It’s the only way to do that. I’d rather have Kath, Burke and McDougal instead of playing it straight 

• Like 5

New BA mock.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2022-mlb-mock-draft/

Jordan Beck

Tennessee OF

Notes:

Total Bonus Pool: $6,289,100
Pick Slot Value: $2,788,000

Earlier this season, there was some buzz throughout the industry that Beck had a chance to be the first college outfielder taken. He’s cooled off a bit since then and there are some swing-and-miss issues to wonder about, but he is a standout athlete and physical hitter with plenty of raw power.

Looks like they have Gilbert going 23rd to Toronto.

They have the Royals taking Henry Bolte!? at pick 9.

Jett Williams all the way up to 15th with the Padres.

First pitcher off the board is Brock Porter to the Mets at 14.

No Schultz in the 1st round.

Edited by DirtySox

No Prielipp in their mock?  I expect him to rise once he throws for teams, but maybe the injury was more serious than I thought.  Not interested in Beck’s R/R swing and miss, power over hit profile.  Sox already have a lot of that.  But I think BA was being lazy.  At that part of their mock they were just dumping all the college outfielders in a pile.  I doubt the Sox are in on Beck, but who knows?

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

New BA mock.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2022-mlb-mock-draft/

Looks like they have Gilbert going 23rd to Toronto.

They have the Royals taking Henry Bolte!? at pick 9.

Jett Williams all the way up to 15th with the Padres.

First pitcher off the board is Brock Porter to the Mets at 14.

No Schultz in the 1st round.

If the board falls this way, I think the White Sox take a prep hitter. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I’m very unimpressed by Gilbert

He really reminds me of Haseley during his draft year at UVa.  Former two-way guy who finds power in his draft year.  But the Sox have to fill the hole left by Steele Walker somehow.

2 hours ago, Timmy U said:

He really reminds me of Haseley during his draft year at UVa.  Former two-way guy who finds power in his draft year.  But the Sox have to fill the hole left by Steele Walker somehow.

If he’s the pick at 26 and he’s a lefty version of Harrison Bader, it’s a good pick. 

7 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Eh, Virginia guys have so much unfucking to do with their swings.

Steele Walker was a no for me because it was a situation of only the sox thinking he'd stay in CF and with average power he kinda needed to. Hasn't seemed like people doubt his ability to be CF.

And is he really finding power this year or just consistency with it? Power is coming from more xbh not just homers.

Hard at this side of the board. I would rather go a bit more of a bet on higher end traits but I think this skepticism is already kinda baked into a late first pick.