2022 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

Just now, Joshua Strong said:

If he could play second…

If the Sox came out of the draft with Tucker Toman in the first and Roman Anthony in the second, I’d be very pleased.

It would be a huge coup for the system, they may not be too 100 guys out of the gate but they have ceilings that you want to bet on.

• Like 2

OK, 24 is really old for a college pitcher and I certainly wouldn't waste a high round pick on him, but damn if JM Bertrand doesn't remind me a lot of Mark Buehrle and Dallas Keuchel (pre-2021). Dude gets ground balls all day long. Would definitely consider him in rounds 16-20.

Edited by CentralChamps21

1 hour ago, Joshua Strong said:

If the Sox came out of the draft with Tucker Toman in the first and Roman Anthony in the second, I’d be very pleased.

It would be a huge coup for the system, they may not be too 100 guys out of the gate but they have ceilings that you want to bet on.

I'm with you. Higher upside prep players with the first two picks similar to 2021 is the route I hope is taken.

I still feel like a college pitcher they like is going to fall into their laps though.

• Fire 2

Oklahoma Sooners

Top prospect: Peyton Graham, SS

Graham is similar to Tim Anderson of the White Sox. Both are slim-framed shortstops with excellent tools who are limited a bit by swinging too often. Graham has a shot, buoyed by a better approach down the stretch, to sneak in the 20 to 30 range. 

espn.com

8 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Someone explain to me why that Melendez guy from Texas is not highly thought of. His stats are absolutely absurd even if he doesn’t really have a position.

Someone will take him as a money saver at some point. He's 22 years old, hits right handed and plays 1B or DH only. He might be a big leaguer but guys like this just aren't that valuable because their only value is the bat. 

1. Baltimore Brooks Lee SS Cal Poly
2. Arizona Drew Jones OF Weslyn HS
3. Texas Jackson Holliday SS Stillwater HS
4. Pittsburgh Cam Collier 3B Chipola JC
5. Washington Elijah Green OF IMG Academy
6. Miami Kevin Parada C Georgia Tech
7. Chicago Cubs Termarr Johnson 2B Mays HS
8. Minnesota Gavin Cross OF Virginia Tech
9. Kansas City Justin Crawford OF Bishop Gorman HS
10. Colorado Zack Neto SS Campbell
11. NY Mets Connor Prielipp LHP Alabama
12. Detroit Jace Jung 2B Texas Tech
13. LA Angels Jacob Berry 1B LSU
14. NY Mets Cole Young SS Allegehny HS
15. Padres Daniel Susac C Arizona
16. Cleveland Noah Schultz LHP Oswego East HS
17. Philadelphia Peyton Graham SS Oklahoma
18. Cincinnati Jett Williams SS Rockwell HS
19. Oakland Drew Gilbert OF Tennessee
20. Atlanta Carson Whisenhunt LHP E Carolina
21. Seattle Dylan Lesko RHP Buford HS
22. St Louis Brandon Barriera LHP American HS
23. Toronto Sterlin Thompson OF Florida
24. NY Yankees Brock Porter RHP St Mary's HS
25. Boston Brock Jones OF Stanford
26. Chicago WS Justin Campbell RHP Oklahoma St
27. Milwaukee Jordan Beck OF Tennessee
28. Houston Walter Ford RHP Pace HS
29. Tampa Jacob Melton OF Oregon
30. LA Dodgers Owen Murphy RHP Riverside HS
31. San Francisco Gabriel Hughes RHP Gonzaga
  • Like 1

The write-up on the pick.

26. Chicago White Sox: Cooper Hjerpe, LHP, Oregon State
Too obvious? The White Sox have a long history of taking pitchers with tremendous stuff – Hjerpe has two above-average or better secondary pitches – and deliveries that steer other teams away. They did break a streak of nine straight college players in the first round (counting one juco player) last year when they took high school infielder Colson Montgomery, but I think they’re going college arm here if possible.

Scouting report: Hjerpe had eye-popping numbers this spring for the Beavers, with a Division I-leading 161 strikeouts and a strikeouts-per-nine-innings rate that ranked second, behind only a 23-year-old sophomore at FIU. Hjerpe does it with two potentially plus secondary pitches in his slider and changeup – the former getting big sweeping action from his low slot, while the latter is helped by the deception in his delivery. The delivery is one of the main concerns, however, as Hjerpe cuts himself off and comes way across his body, while he delivers the ball from a very low slot not far above sidearm. The other concern is that his fastball is ordinary, 88-93 mph now, with multiple scouts saying they fear it’ll go backward in pro ball when he’s asked to pitch every fifth day. He may be able to start thanks to those two secondary pitches, but there is no big-league starter in recent memory who was this cross-body, so Hjerpe may have a lot more upside in the bullpen instead.

Edited by DirtySox

49 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Keith Law’s 2nd mock is up. White Sox taking Cooper Hjerpe LHP. I would hate this pick. Definitely reliever profile with that arm slot.

He ranks Hjerpe #54; he's looking for another White Sox reach.
Of course the Sox could go this way, sign him for well below slot, which should allow for better players in rounds 2-4; or reduce round 5-10 punting.  But that's not the modus operandi of this FO.

20 minutes ago, oldsox said:

The Mock did not have that slugging first sacker from Texas anywhere in first round.

He's not a first round talent.  He has big power but it's bat strength over bat speed so there's a fear he won't be able to catch up to big league velocity.  He's also a right/right 1B/DH so he offers no value outside of his power. Someone will take him in the 3-5 range based on the power tool alone.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It sounds like Schultz threw the shit out of it last night.  

Why didn't he pitch for his high school in the spring?

Kind of sad Murphy from (RB) and Schultz (neither Oswego highly rated pitcher for that matter) had an opportunity in the state tourney.  Was it a family decision? Murphy was coach's decision and a poor one at that.

25 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Why didn't he pitch for his high school in the spring?

Kind of sad Murphy from (RB) and Schultz (neither Oswego highly rated pitcher for that matter) had an opportunity in the state tourney.  Was it a family decision? Murphy was coach's decision and a poor one at that.

Schultz was shut down for a couple months with mono. Schultz and Izzy both pitched in their playoff game but were beat by Plainfield East.  Murphy pitched in the playoffs but his team lost a game he didn't pitch in. 

I don't think Shirley's tendencies are similar to the white sox previous record. People were good on COlson last year because the sox were clearly high on him, but the writers "profile" of who the sox will take seems off. The "sound familiar?" is ...meh. Not that compelling to me. The SOUND FAMILIAR? pick had them all circling Jered Kendall to the sox too.