Dylan Cease, 2 sport athlete

southsider2k5

35 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Yeah that's one of the arts of rehab, how many exercises to give a patient that they will complete them appropriately. 

Exactly, resistance bands aren't all about strength. They are more about muscle control. They are intense strengthening. Your glutes are the most important muscles in the body as they connect your spine to the lower extremity train. They control the position of the pelvis in closed chain activities. It about control not pure strength.  And control needs many more reps for learning the so called muscle memory. 

It really appears that way. Threw my back out for the 4th time in a few years, so I'm not going to mess around anymore. I'm seeing a PT again and training the hell out of them. 

Do you commonly see patients with one side of their lower back visably bigger than the rest. I'm not sure if this is technically my thoracolumbar fascia or my erector spinae? My right side is noticably bigger and stronger feeling. Could be contributing to my issues, or it resulted from some other imbalance I have.

21 minutes ago, ron883 said:

It really appears that way. Threw my back out for the 4th time in a few years, so I'm not going to mess around anymore. I'm seeing a PT again and training the hell out of them. 

Do you commonly see patients with one side of their lower back visably bigger than the rest. I'm not sure if this is technically my thoracolumbar fascia or my erector spinae? My right side is noticably bigger and stronger feeling. Could be contributing to my issues, or it resulted from some other imbalance I have.

Yes. Most people have a preferred side for movement patterns. This is why I like unilateral activities early in rehab to keep one side from compensating for the other.

It is the muscle the erector spinae. The thoracolumbar (thoracdorsal) fascia is a passive piece of connective tissue.

Just now, ptatc said:

Yes. Most people have a preferred side for movement patterns. This is why I like unilateral activities early in rehab to keep one side from compensating for the other.

It is the muscle the erector spinae. The thoracolumbar (thoracdorsal) fascia is a passive piece of connective tissue.

That's what I figured. When I look at diagrams of that area, it looks like the fascia is what I would be feeling there. I'll have to bring that up to my PT when I finally can get an appointment. I've probably neglected training my erector spinae over the years tbh. 

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

That's what I figured. When I look at diagrams of that area, it looks like the fascia is what I would be feeling there. I'll have to bring that up to my PT when I finally can get an appointment. I've probably neglected training my erector spinae over the years tbh. 

It's really not that big of a deal as it's primarily a stabilizing muscles and not a prime mover.

The thoracolumbar fascia is a primary stabilizer for the spine.  It acts as a passive brace that is tightened by the glutes inferiority and the lats superiorly. This is why you'll see exercises for the spine include raises arms and legs to tighten the fascia.