ESPN first half grades: Sox get a B+

chitownsportsfan

I have no fucking clue how it's not a straight A.  They've had like 15 projected WAR on the shelf at are still 2nd best RD in the AL and best record at the break.  If that's not an A I'm not sure what is.

Grades:

Playing in the majors' weakest division has helped the White Sox secure a big lead at the break, despite the injuries to Eloy Jimenez and Luis Robert and, more recently, Nick Madrigal and Yasmani Grandal. The White Sox are 30-15 against the AL Central and just 16-24 against winning teams. Of course, they also haven't had their "A" lineup all season and it looks like Jimenez will return much sooner than originally expected.

The White Sox join the Red Sox as the only teams with five starters to make at least 15 starts, helping them to the best rotation ERA in the AL alongside the Astros, with Carlos Rodon emerging as an All-Star. Whatever you think of Tony La Russa's work so far, he has always been good with starting pitchers.

Schoenfield is bad. He gave the Mariners a "B" for being 5 games over .500 with a -50 differential and being dead last in the AL in almost every batting stat.  I mean you can fucking factor out luck in these rankings, right? The Mariners should be like a C- at best, other than being incredibly lucky they've had a bad season with bad production from almost every young player they are counting on.  FFS Kelenic was historically bad and so was Evan White before he went down.  Anyways, whatever.

• Like 1

how does a team with the White Sox injuries and an 8 game lead get a B+?  This guy is a hack. He predicted the Sox as a Wild Card team before the season started.

As for the White Sox, many are picking them to still win the division, even without Eloy Jimenez, and I still like the top of the lineup, the top three in the rotation, the bullpen depth and believe the AL East beats up on each other, allowing the two wild cards to come from the softer West and Central divisions. -- David Schoenfield

Edited by Dick Allen

ESPN gets worse and worse as time goes on. Production is usually much worse than the competition (TNT's Inside the NBA is on another planet compared to ESPN's NBA trash), biggest personalities are typically hot take artists (Skip in the past, Stephen A of course), their sports analysis drops off further every year. Everything about ESPN just sucks honestly. They put Max Kellerman and Stephen A on UFC 264, and they don't know anything about MMA. It's just a joke at this point. Not to mention the recent controversies. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

how does a team with the White Sox injuries and an 8 game lead get a B+?  This guy is a hack. He predicted the Sox as a Wild Card team before the season started.

As for the White Sox, many are picking them to still win the division, even without Eloy Jimenez, and I still like the top of the lineup, the top three in the rotation, the bullpen depth and believe the AL East beats up on each other, allowing the two wild cards to come from the softer West and Central divisions. -- David Schoenfield

HE REALLY WANTS YOU TO DO KNOW THAT THE BEST DIVISION IS THE AL EAST.

It was always a bit like this in the past, but the last few years have ramped up basically only covering and hyping the major teams in all sports.  You would think the Knicks making the playoffs this year was them winning the NBA championship.  They want clicks and views, so they praise the major teams to appease their fanbases. 

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think they are saying we only have a good record because our division is weak. But that is stupid because of the injuries we have. We deserve an A for being able to have the best record in the AL with our injuries. 54-35 is the best you can ask from this offense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Probably due to the weak division and the mediocre record against good teams. Not that I agree with them but those are the criticisms that the sour posters bring up on this board.

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Probably due to the weak division and the mediocre record against good teams. Not that I agree with them but those are the criticisms that the sour posters bring up on this board.

But that is what they are supposed to do, and are doing it with a very depleted roster. He is full of shit.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

But that is what they are supposed to do, and are doing it with a very depleted roster. He is full of shit.

Agreed. But those are the only reasons I can think of that someone could find.

Yeah, I gotta admit, there's zero chance that this team should get anything other than an A. You could justify an A- on a curve by saying that the Giants and Red Sox have scored quite a bit higher, but large division lead and overcome challenges to do so certainly seems to justify an A.

Anyone who has access to that article care to say which team got the F? I'm curious if it's Minny.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, ron883 said:

ESPN gets worse and worse as time goes on. Production is usually much worse than the competition (TNT's Inside the NBA is on another planet compared to ESPN's NBA trash), biggest personalities are typically hot take artists (Skip in the past, Stephen A of course), their sports analysis drops off further every year. Everything about ESPN just sucks honestly. They put Max Kellerman and Stephen A on UFC 264, and they don't know anything about MMA. It's just a joke at this point. Not to mention the recent controversies. 

ESPN, and to a larger degree most media, sucks so bad because all these blowhards, Stephen A., Skip Bayless, Mad Dog Russo, is what draws all the eyeballs because everyone is constantly looking to be pissed off at someone. So they get all the money, and the talented producers and writers get fired. 

The Stephen A.- Jeff Passan thing was such transparent kayfabe bullshit I can't believe anyone engages with it regardless of their opinion.

Edited by mqr
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yeah, I gotta admit, there's zero chance that this team should get anything other than an A. You could justify an A- on a curve by saying that the Giants and Red Sox have scored quite a bit higher, but large division lead and overcome challenges to do so certainly seems to justify an A.

Anyone who has access to that article care to say which team got the F? I'm curious if it's Minny.

Article is free and it's linked in my OP.  You are correct Twinkies got one F, D-Backs got the F-, which isn't even a thing, so yea.

Edited by chitownsportsfan