Machado and Harper: Hindsight

ron883

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

I  have always said that agents are much smarter than GM's.

apparently chitownsports is also smarter than GM's and baseball analysts because he reviewed some publicly available baseball data and determined that Lindor wasn't worth anywhere near what the entire market dictated and expected him to be worth.

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

apparently chitownsports is also smarter than GM's and baseball analysts because he reviewed some publicly available baseball data and determined that Lindor wasn't worth anywhere near what the entire market dictated and expected him to be worth.

What were Lindor’s numbers with CLE if you strip away AL Central competition…?   Just curious.

They wouldn’t be 30% of the payroll if the payroll was higher, and the point of signing them wasn’t to hit the exact equilibrium of talent needed to win the central it was to step on their damn necks.

Sox should have signed them, but I love this damn team anyway and there is always a new way forward.

Still my number one thing will always be they shoulda traded and signed Betts and idc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

In fact I went back thru old threads. Kenny was pissed we didn't even get a personal interview with Ohtani.  Wonder if he regrets picking LAAAAAA?

I mean thank god he didn’t pick the Dodgers or Padres though. Considerate of him.

47 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

As much as Harper or Machado would be awesome, I will say losing out on Wheeler really hurts because we finally offered market value to a relatively high end SP and got turned down.  The difference between him and Keuchel would be massive right now and heading into next year.

But then we wouldn’t have Rodon/Boras looking at five sure starters and Kopech bunched in front of him.  He would have gone somewhere where he’d still get an opportunity to start. (And not battling essentially Lopez and Lambert.)

Unless you think it would have been okay to relegate Cease to the bullpen or minors.  Probably not a great fit with his intermittent control issues.

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

But then we wouldn’t have Rodon/Boras looking at five sure starters and Kopech bunched in front of him.  He would have gone somewhere where he’d still get an opportunity to start. (And not battling essentially Lopez and Lambert.)

Unless you think it would have been okay to relegate Cease to the bullpen or minors.  Probably not a great fit with his intermittent control issues.

Try harder

• Fire 3

49 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I don’t get why Rodon doesn’t resign if we have Wheeler instead of Keuchel.

10 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think lindor is better Than he has played so far this year and had some bad luck but he also massively benefitted from the juiced ball. He is a pretty small dude like 170 or so and was hitting high 30s Homers, that was probably a result of the juiced ball. I think really he is more a mid 20s bomb guy the next couple years before he starts to decline. 

I think it is good the Sox didn't sign a Guy like harper and Machado. 

They will need all the money to pay and retain their core (once arbitration and later free agency kicks in) and possibly buy some pitchers in the next couple years. 

30 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think lindor is better Than he has played so far this year and had some bad luck but he also massively benefitted from the juiced ball. He is a pretty small dude like 170 or so and was hitting high 30s Homers, that was probably a result of the juiced ball. I think really he is more a mid 20s bomb guy the next couple years before he starts to decline. 

They will need all the money to pay and retain their core (once arbitration and later free agency kicks in) and possibly buy some pitchers in the next couple years. 

The Sox will need affluent sportsmen in the owner"s suite to build this team into the perennial juggernaut they can be.

And get them into the South Loop where Harold Washington wanted to put them in the first place.

Reinsdorf is many things

A visionary he ain't.

17 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

It’s going to be interesting to see where Jerry will be willing to take this payroll.  If we’re 100% healthy, the biggest needs heading into the offseason will pitching and RF.  Resigning one of Lynn or Rodon is an absolute must and adding a high leverage reliever would also be ideal (plus maybe a lesser one as well).  I think it’s pretty clear that the bulk of the offense looks to be in place, but adding a left-handed power bat for RF is what a serious contender would do.  The challenge is we may be looking at a roster cost of nearly $125M before we even consider these three last holes.  I think Jerry will definitely go up to at least $150M or so, but that’s not going to be enough to resign Lynn/Rodon and add a high-end reliever.  Now, if he’s willing to go to say $170M (which would rank 10th in baseball this year) I think you can suddenly add someone like Conforto to play RF.

Imagine adding Conforto to this lineup.  Like holy fuck it’s hands-down the best lineup in baseball.

1. Tim Anderson, SS
  2. Yoan Moncada, 3B#
  3. Eloy Jimenez, DH/LF
  4. Michael Conforto, RF*
  5. Jose Abreu, 1B
  6. Andrew Vaughn, LF/DH
  7. Luis Robert, CF
  8. Yasmani Grandal, C#
  9. Nick Madrigal, 2B

Please don’t go cheap Jerry!