ASB trade priorities

southsider2k5

Knowing what our record is, our divisional lead is, along with who is healthy, and what the time lines are for the guys  who aren't healthy looks like, what are your top priorities for trades as of today?

Personally I really liked the idea of adding another starter, and going to a six man rotation, especially in the cases of Rodon and Cease, they are going to be potentially hitting the wall soon.

Short of getting that creative, I would really like to add two more arms to the pen, one RHP, one LHP, if possible.

I would put 2B as next on the list

RF would be my last priority, and the thing I would be least willing to expend resources for, UNLESS we got a guy who would be with the team for 2-3 years, at least.

I will be disappointed if they do not do something to help the bullpen.  Another starter is not a bad idea at all though.  I think we need to keep Kopech as a bullpen weapon for the playoff run this year and transition him to the rotation next season.

Two bullpen pieces and a second baseman upgrade would be fine.  A front-line catcher would be great but hard to find.  To be honest the club when our wounded players return looks very good with no new additions.  It's fun to dream about Gallo and Bryant types but admittedly I'm very cheap with my high-end prospects.  

The Sox should be making moves to win the ALCS. Getting to the World Series means being able to beat Houston, Boston and Tampa. 

That should mean adding two top bullpen arms, LH and RH, and another quality hitter. Whether that’s Escobar, or better, depends on the prospects. 

With Burger and Sheets showing ability, the Sox have more to offer other teams than just lower level prospects. 

I could the Sox going for a rental position player but bullpen guys who have more than a year control. 

Edited by beck72

6 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Knowing what our record is, our divisional lead is, along with who is healthy, and what the time lines are for the guys  who aren't healthy looks like, what are your top priorities for trades as of today?

Personally I really liked the idea of adding another starter, and going to a six man rotation, especially in the cases of Rodon and Cease, they are going to be potentially hitting the wall soon.

Short of getting that creative, I would really like to add two more arms to the pen, one RHP, one LHP, if possible.

I would put 2B as next on the list

RF would be my last priority, and the thing I would be least willing to expend resources for, UNLESS we got a guy who would be with the team for 2-3 years, at least.

The Sox desperately need to give Kopech innings and I don’t see how we make seven guys work.  I’d definitely prioritize a RH setup man and a bat of some sort.

My old Hahn muscle memory worried well trade out heuer for a now arm and end up in a similar place. We have so much LHRP otherwise chafin from Cubs makes sense.

John king or grave man could be decent groundball/control relievers for cheap.

I wonder if NYY trades out bullpen help like Chad green.

Assuming everybody that is expected back is actually back and healthy and nobody else is out, I'm comfortable with these guys being on the playoff roster:

C Grandal, Collins

IF Abreu, Garcia, Anderson, Moncada

OF/DH Vaughn, Jimenez, Robert, Engel, Goodwin, Hamilton

SP Lynn, Rodon, Giolito, Cease, Keuchel

RP Hendriks, Bummer, Marshall, Crochet, Heuer, Kopech, Burr

This leaves room for a 2B and one RP.

23 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Assuming everybody that is expected back is actually back and healthy and nobody else is out, I'm comfortable with these guys being on the playoff roster:

C Grandal, Collins

IF Abreu, Garcia, Anderson, Moncada

OF/DH Vaughn, Jimenez, Robert, Engel, Goodwin, Hamilton

SP Lynn, Rodon, Giolito, Cease, Keuchel

RP Hendriks, Bummer, Marshall, Crochet, Heuer, Kopech, Burr

This leaves room for a 2B and one RP.

A starter would be bumped to the pen (unless they left him off instead of moving to pen) which would give you 8 RP. Only need 4 starters in playoffs. They probably would carry the extra reliever though giving them 9.

Edited by manbearpuig

7 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

A starter would be bumped to the pen (unless they left him off instead of moving to pen) which would give you 8 RP. Only need 4 starters in playoffs. They probably would carry the extra reliever though giving them 9.

Yeah I know that but at this point I'm not sure which starter moves to the pen so I left them all as starters for now. I do think with 3-4 games in an NL park they might opt to swap out a reliver for someone like Sheets since you need more pinch hitters.

25 minutes ago, bear_brian said:

Outside of sentimental value, there is little use for Billy Hamilton with the return of Robert and Engel's presence. We would be better off with another middle infielder, or even a third catcher.

Hamilton has far more value on a playoff roster than Brian Goodwin. Neither should ever start a game, but Hamilton should base run or defensive switch every game.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Hamilton has far more value on a playoff roster than Brian Goodwin. Neither should ever start a game, but Hamilton should base run or defensive switch every game.

Goodwin could start for Engel or Vaughn against a righty that has extreme splits, and pinch hit some against right relievers.

14 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

With cutting Eaton, assuming they don’t pick up a RF in the next 2 weeks, there’s enough room for both. Unless you think Sheets should make it but I wouldn’t be a big fan of that defense in the corners.

Edited by manbearpuig

23 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

With cutting Eaton, assuming they don’t pick up a RF in the next 2 weeks, there’s enough room for both. Unless you think Sheets should make it but I wouldn’t be a big fan of that defense in the corners.

Yes, I am fine with Sheets with Hamilton and Engel coming as a defensive replacements vs those RHP.

37 minutes ago, RibbieRubarb said:

2nd Baseman, 2 Relievers....

Then RF.

Agreed.  At this point, I think I'd be good with Escobar and a reliever or two.  

Keep your eye out if a RF presents itself for a good price, but I really don't want to trade Crochet. 

24 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Agreed.  At this point, I think I'd be good with Escobar and a reliever or two.  

Keep your eye out if a RF presents itself for a good price, but I really don't want to trade Crochet. 

Agreed. I think Engel has proven himself to be an incredible fielder and now he is hitting well to be almost everyday in RF after Luis returns.
Unless they really feel someone like Gallo puts them over the top being LH, Power and a GG I see us standing pat in the outfield. 

Edited by RibbieRubarb
typo

2 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

Other than Kimbrel (who was mentioned in the post above), who are some bullpen arms we can go after?

Rasiel Iglesias, Ian Kennedy, Daniel Hudson, Richard Rodrgiuez, 

• Thanks 1