Carlos Perez

bmags

He’s starting to get noticed

Perez was first put on the radar when a BA writer saw him in instructionals at 18 or so and said he could be a big league catcher (why BA writers are awesome)

He has been on that long development path, but carrying with him decent contact as he moved up levels.

After a 5 hit night, his average is up to .280. He’s hit more homers in Bham than he has in any other year (5).

He doesnt walk much but doesnt k (10%)

And his defense has always been his calling card. 

24 years old. I think he’s a legit backup catcher soon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

3 hours ago, bmags said:

for the record, 2 more doubles last night. Sox are putting him at DH when he's resting at catcher.

The combination of him and Fernandez are quite an impactful catching duo at the plate for Bham. Wonder who would get the call to AAA if Yermin actually left or the Sox chose to demote org-filler Nate Nolan.  

Come to think of it, Perez probably needs to be protected on the 40 man this offseason. If I were a rebuilding team I would totally nab him in the rule 5 to be a back up if the Sox didn't protect him. 

• Like 2

On 7/22/2021 at 2:45 PM, raBBit said:

Come to think of it, Perez probably needs to be protected on the 40 man this offseason. If I were a rebuilding team I would totally nab him in the rule 5 to be a back up if the Sox didn't protect him. 

He likely wouldn't get picked in the Rule 5, not the MLB portion anyways. That requires a team to keep him on the 26 man for a full season.

It's why there are very few non-RP Rule 5 picks

2 minutes ago, CeaseAndExist said:

He likely wouldn't get picked in the Rule 5, not the MLB portion anyways. That requires a team to keep him on the 26 man for a full season.

He absolutely should be protected. He has mlb ready defense and could even be in AAA by end of year.

On 7/24/2021 at 3:17 PM, CeaseAndExist said:

There have been catchers selected in the R5. Sox have selected a worse and less experienced catching prospect in Adrian Nieto. Kept him on the roster the whole season too. Bad teams can and should do these types of things.

38 minutes ago, raBBit said:

There have been catchers selected in the R5. Sox have selected a worse and less experienced catching prospect in Adrian Nieto. Kept him on the roster the whole season too. Bad teams can and should do these types of things.

Maybe it's semantics, because I do think there's a decent chance Perez gets claimed, but Nieto had a 130 wRC+ as a 23 year old in High A. There was some possibility he eventually developed into a good hitting catcher. With Perez the ceiling is he eventually becomes a glove first backup up, which is fine and still worth keeping on the 40 man.

10 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Maybe it's semantics, because I do think there's a decent chance Perez gets claimed, but Nieto had a 130 wRC+ as a 23 year old in High A. There was some possibility he eventually developed into a good hitting catcher. With Perez the ceiling is he eventually becomes a glove first backup up, which is fine and still worth keeping on the 40 man.

I'll take a 104 wRC+ 24 year old catcher in AA who actually has defensive skills.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 9:38 AM, bmags said:

I'll take a 104 wRC+ 24 year old catcher in AA who actually has defensive skills.

Sox likely will have to protect Perez, as he is exactly the kind of guy a bottom dweller would roll the dice on in rule five