Yoan Moncada should volunteer to play 2b this year

VAfan

Even before the All-Star game, I added a post on my thread about Vaughn, Burger, Sheets and Mercedes that the Sox should move Moncada to 2B to open up 3B for Jake Burger's bat.  I asked if it was an insane idea, but now I think more and more that it's the right move. 

But during the All-Star game, when they interviewed Kris Bryant and showed how many games he'd played at 5 different positions, I thought that an All-Star player can in fact move around successfully.  

Yoan Moncada has played 200 games at 2B.  He's plenty capable of moving over there tomorrow.  

Jake Burger, meanwhile, is a rookie, but he's off to a hot start after a torrid season in AAA, and looks like a much better hitter than Leury Garcia or Danny Mendick.   One option was to try Burger at 2B, but that's a poor choice when Moncada can do that job much better.  

Anyway, the final evolution in my thoughts about this would be for Moncada to volunteer to make the move.  This eliminates any pressure to do so by the club, and keeps everyone happy.  If he makes the move and Burger flames out or stops hitting, he can easily move back to 3B.  He can even move back on a game-by-game basis. But if Burger keeps hitting, or improves, the Sox will be a better team, and Moncada will be seen as a selfless guy who only wants the team to win.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

This isnt gonna go well. Unless they make a move, I dont disagree with you, but people here coddle Yoan and the analytics that say he's like the greatest 3rd baseman of all time or some garbage. I prefer them to make a move for a 2B, and leave Yoan alone, but your idea isnt that bad.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Even before the All-Star game, I added a post on my thread about Vaughn, Burger, Sheets and Mercedes that the Sox should move Moncada to 2B to open up 3B for Jake Burger's bat.  I asked if it was an insane idea, but now I think more and more that it's the right move. 

But during the All-Star game, when they interviewed Kris Bryant and showed how many games he'd played at 5 different positions, I thought that an All-Star player can in fact move around successfully.  

Yoan Moncada has played 200 games at 2B.  He's plenty capable of moving over there tomorrow.  

Jake Burger, meanwhile, is a rookie, but he's off to a hot start after a torrid season in AAA, and looks like a much better hitter than Leury Garcia or Danny Mendick.   One option was to try Burger at 2B, but that's a poor choice when Moncada can do that job much better.  

Anyway, the final evolution in my thoughts about this would be for Moncada to volunteer to make the move.  This eliminates any pressure to do so by the club, and keeps everyone happy.  If he makes the move and Burger flames out or stops hitting, he can easily move back to 3B.  He can even move back on a game-by-game basis. But if Burger keeps hitting, or improves, the Sox will be a better team, and Moncada will be seen as a selfless guy who only wants the team to win.  

Or we could just trade for Escobar, McMahon, Merrifield, Frazier, Baez, etc.

Burger’s going to have to hit like that for at least another 2-3 before it’s considered…even then, still think they would prefer someone like Schoop that’s not ideally suited for the position defensively.

Moncada is a really bad 2B. He's a pretty good 3B. I know Burger would be a nice upgrade in the lineup if he could play everyday, but you don't move your most valuable position player so you can plug in a rookie who's been up for 2 weeks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

This isnt gonna go well. Unless they make a move, I dont disagree with you, but people here coddle Yoan and the analytics that say he's like the greatest 3rd baseman of all time or some garbage. I prefer them to make a move for a 2B, and leave Yoan alone, but your idea isnt that bad.

If he was a good 2B as well, like Javy Baez…that would make a lot of sense.

11 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Moncada is a really bad 2B. He's a pretty good 3B. I know Burger would be a nice upgrade in the lineup if he could play everyday, but you don't move your most valuable position player so you can plug in a rookie who's been up for 2 weeks. 

Right. Plugging in Burger at 3B, you decrease the defense at both 3B and 2B. If anything, see if you can get by with Burger at 2B for 6ish innings and hope he gets to do some damage with the bat in that time. But the fact they haven't done that yet makes it seem like this really isn't an option.

Edited by manbearpuig

21 minutes ago, VAfan said:

I'll give you one thing , you are a brave soul.

21 minutes ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

Oh sorry, Moncada sucks. I forgot.

• Like 2

Vaughn should move to second, with Burger in LF and Eloy at DH.

These suggestions just get more unrealistic by the day.  Honestly, the move of Burger for a handful of games at second base was probably just as much about trade leverage as anything else.  Leury Garcia has stabilized that position in recent weeks…along with Engel and Hamilton returning and Goodwin holding his own offensively.

• Haha 1