GT 7/16: HOU @ SOX, 7:10

25 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm not sure that they can really do anything to make them be competitive in the AL playoffs. They don't have the horses. 

Sox have the starting pitching to compete in the playoffs, just need to improve offense and defense and 8th inning pitching.

Just now, Chick Mercedes said:

I watched the game until after Cease unraveled and lost focus. He had no business giving up any runs tonight with the stuff he had. He should be out of the playoffs rotation. Kopech in. Playoffs is all about focus  and mental toughness.

As it stands, you’re benching Giolito for Kopech?  Because only need three for first series.

6 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I watched the game until after Cease unraveled and lost focus. He had no business giving up any runs tonight with the stuff he had. He should be out of the playoffs rotation. Kopech in. Playoffs is all about focus  and mental toughness.

Kind of a long way to go to make that assessment. Cease has been healthy and in the rotation all year. Kopech is back to 1 inning appearances after his injury.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Kind of a long way to go to make that assessment. Cease has been healthy and in the rotation all year. Kopech is back to 1 inning appearances after his injury.

Hard to say for sure how long Kopech could go, but me personally, I don’t have a problem with running him out there. Bet he would be fine. Damn sight more comfortable with that than Cease with the thought bubbles over his head under the bright TV lights.

14 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The bar was set too high last October.

Right now, he’s closer to Thornton or Marte but the versions where you don’t feel 100% confident like you did earlier in their Sox careers.

If you are setting the bar really high with a guy barely removed from college pitching 6 innings  while throwing 101  your expectations are too high. All young pitchers struggles . Every single one of them.

1 minute ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Hard to say for sure how long Kopech could go, but me personally, I don’t have a problem with running him out there. Bet he would be fine. Damn sight more comfortable with that than Cease with the thought bubbles over his head under the bright TV lights.

Rodon, Lynn, & Gio are all locked into the playoff rotation. I think you can argue Kopech's innings are more valuable going 2 innings at a time rather than one 4 or 5 inning start in Game 4 of a playoff series.

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

Rodon, Lynn, & Gio are all locked into the playoff rotation. I think you can argue Kopech's innings are more valuable going 2 innings at a time rather than one 4 or 5 inning start in Game 4 of a playoff series.

I really think he's more valuable in the pen this year...move Kopech to the rotation next season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

What exactly does running him out there mean ?  I hope you mean after you build up his arm again to the point he an pitch more than 4 innings and while doing that  you still have to manage his inning since he hadn't pitched in 2 years but sure for you personally you don't have to worry about that stuff.

Just now, wegner said:

I really think he's more valuable in the pen this year...move Kopech to the rotation next season.

Idk if he’s going to get enough innings. 

Kopech/Crochet might just be relievers. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 2

Just now, wegner said:

If he's going to give you ~6 innings in a playoff series, I'd rather have him going 2 every other game than only pitching once in a hypothetical game 4. Completely agree.

• Like 1