GT 7/16: HOU @ SOX, 7:10

7 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Sox FO only care about winning the division, probably couldn't care less about individual matchups.  No matter how bad the team looks nationally.  Sox playing in such a horrible division isn't gonna prepare them for the more competitive teams they'll see in the playoffs

also the offense should've been addressed via trade a month ago, but again, they're not gonna do shit with a 7+ game lead

sucks as fans but meh

All we can do is be patient and see what happens at the deadline and with our guys coming back. It's helpful they can dick around looking for internal options 1st with such a big lead. No one actually thinks Reylo is going to be an answer but if he looks competent for 2 weeks they can see if he's a piece for the rest of the year or trade him if there is anyone interested.

We are all aware that the lineup now isn't ideal but so far the scrubs have made it work. Just have to hope they can keep the big lead in the division until reinforcements arrive or the pixie dust wears off.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The timing just doesn't match up. Idk how they could ever get Kopech stretched out while trying to win and simultaneously keeping him at the MLB level. 

Things have a way of working out when there are innings to be gained through injury and professional baseball people involved who do those things for a living.

Kopech isn't going to go 200 innings next year but if you can get him to somewhere over 125 that will be good progress. Katz and the Sox are on top of it.

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Things have a way of working out when there are innings to be gained through injury and professional baseball people involved who do those things for a living.

Kopech isn't going to go 200 innings next year but if you can get him to somewhere over 125 that will be good progress. Katz and the Sox are on top of it.

Absolutely.  

FYI I don’t think they have ever seen Crochet as a starter and I also think he’ll be throwing 102 in the playoffs.  

36 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Might as well just say 3-9 in the order had a horrible game.

Abreu kept hitting ground balls to third.  Didn’t move the runner in the 1stinning and hit into a double play later. We need to hit and run more, we are mostly a ground ball hitting team.  Need to press the defense more and open holes with the hit and run.

40 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Sox FO only care about winning the division, probably couldn't care less about individual matchups.  No matter how bad the team looks nationally.  Sox playing in such a horrible division isn't gonna prepare them for the more competitive teams they'll see in the playoffs

also the offense should've been addressed via trade a month ago, but again, they're not gonna do shit with a 7+ game lead

sucks as fans but meh

Yeah, I agree.  Steve and Jason were really, really, really selling the division lead.

• Thanks 1

also I don't wanna rip on the pitching too much.  after sitting back and looking at the situation as a whole, the offense can't expect to win many games unless they actually put runs on the board 

as annoying as Bummer, Ruiz and Heuer have been, they basically have zero margin for error lately

Abreu has been extremely disappointing this year, and the injuries haven't helped

Sox need a power injection badly

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Big Hurtin said:

Yeah, I agree.  Steve and Jason were really, really, really selling the division lead.

Rick Hahn said the Sox were committed to a multi-championship window, not multi-division title window.

The Twins will soon join the other three tanking teams with a payroll under $100M once Cruz and Simmons are gone. Would be under $80M if they could get anyone to eat the ridiculous Donaldson contract. Cleveland is under $50M. KC and Detroit in the $80s. The AL Central, in the words Jason Benetti uses for JR's RSN, is "hot garbage". It has been the worst division, it is the worst division, and will continue to be the worst division in MLB.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Rick Hahn said the Sox were committed to a multi-championship window, not multi-division title window.

The Twins will soon join the other three tanking teams with a payroll under $100M once Cruz and Simmons are gone. Would be under $80M if they could get anyone to eat the ridiculous Donaldson contract. Cleveland is under $50M. KC and Detroit in the $80s. The AL Central, in the words Jason Benetti uses for JR's RSN, is "hot garbage". It has been the worst division, it is the worst division, and will continue to be the worst division in MLB.

Things don't happen in a vacuum.  You think it's a coincidence when they talk guys up or down and then something happens with the roster?  Someone told them to lean on that (division lead), because they were leaning on it HARD.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Big Hurtin said:

Things don't happen in a vacuum.  You think it's a coincidence when they talk guys up or down and then something happens with the roster?  Someone told them to lean on that (division lead), because they were leaning on it HARD.

And that will be the case unless/until it gets back down to 3-4 GB.

3 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Absolutely.  

FYI I don’t think they have ever seen Crochet as a starter and I also think he’ll be throwing 102 in the playoffs.  

I think they did see him as a starter and a high end starter. That's why they took him in the draft when they did. You don't pick a guy that high to be a reliever. Maybe he can still throw 101, maybe not. That's not the point.

The point is his development. He's good enough now to get a lot of guys out  throwing 97 and with his slider but he has to develop his secondary pitches to be better as a starter and get better command. Right now with 2 pitches he is still good enough to be one of the Sox best relievers. He's a work in progress as a starter by relieving.

He will probably follow the same plan next year as Kopech is doing this year. The only thing that can stop that is arm problems which might be the main reason why he's dialed it back. The only other reason would be he just can't do it any more .But even if he can I highly doubt he or the Sox are convinced that throwing 100+ is in his or the teams long term best interest .

3 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

also I don't wanna rip on the pitching too much.  after sitting back and looking at the situation as a whole, the offense can't expect to win many games unless they actually put runs on the board 

as annoying as Bummer, Ruiz and Heuer have been, they basically have zero margin for error lately

Abreu has been extremely disappointing this year, and the injuries haven't helped

Sox need a power injection badly

The strength of the team is starting pitching. The last thing the Sox need to be worrying about is pitching Cease in the playoffs. He did just fine today but he is not a finished product. I heard John Smoltz talking and he is probably talking from experience. He said as a starting pitcher probably needs about 90 starts to understand how to pitch. We see the great stuff from Cease starting to blossom this year. That's a great sign. He's getting it over the plate and hitting his spots a lot more. But like any young pitcher he cannot always be consistent from start to start with the command or stuff.

We know where the weaknesses on the team are. No matter how much we like Hamilton, Mendick, Heuer, Burr or Engel/Goodwin  , no matter how thrilled we are with Billy Hamilton some of them are not good enough to be starting or even on a playoff team that expects to make a serious run.

The bullpen needs minimum 2 arms and the lineup needs at the very least Escobar and strong returns of Eloy and Robert. Patch up the pen add another bat . I don't care if its Gallo in RF . I don't care if it's Escobar but one of them has to be a strong LH power presence. It kind of sucks that we will have to depend so strongly on Eloy and Robert and eventually Grandal coming back to full strength. But it is what it is.

But even if they are 3/4 of themselves at full strength with one more LH bat and a couple of arms this team is ready to make a long playoff run. Right now it's a tedious waiting game and so far the Sox are holding up pretty well. Just have to wait it out. It's not the end of the world if the Sox lose to Houston now. We will be a much better team in September and even better in October.

5 hours ago, hankchifan said:

Abreu kept hitting ground balls to third.  Didn’t move the runner in the 1stinning and hit into a double play later. We need to hit and run more, we are mostly a ground ball hitting team.  Need to press the defense more and open holes with the hit and run.

Can someone tell me why this team hits so many ground balls?

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The strength of the team is starting pitching. The last thing the Sox need to be worrying about is pitching Cease in the playoffs. He did just fine today but he is not a finished product. I heard John Smoltz talking and he is probably talking from experience. He said as a starting pitcher probably needs about 90 starts to understand how to pitch. We see the great stuff from Cease starting to blossom this year. That's a great sign. He's getting it over the plate and hitting his spots a lot more. But like any young pitcher he cannot always be consistent from start to start with the command or stuff.

We know where the weaknesses on the team are. No matter how much we like Hamilton, Mendick, Heuer, Burr or Engel/Goodwin  , no matter how thrilled we are with Billy Hamilton some of them are not good enough to be starting or even on a playoff team that expects to make a serious run.

The bullpen needs minimum 2 arms and the lineup needs at the very least Escobar and strong returns of Eloy and Robert. Patch up the pen add another bat . I don't care if its Gallo in RF . I don't care if it's Escobar but one of them has to be a strong LH power presence. It kind of sucks that we will have to depend so strongly on Eloy and Robert and eventually Grandal coming back to full strength. But it is what it is.

But even if they are 3/4 of themselves at full strength with one more LH bat and a couple of arms this team is ready to make a long playoff run. Right now it's a tedious waiting game and so far the Sox are holding up pretty well. Just have to wait it out. It's not the end of the world if the Sox lose to Houston now. We will be a much better team in September and even better in October.

I agree with your good thoughts.  After 5 wins in a row, we lose a game and the sky is falling.  Shoddy fielding and poor relief pitching always make a team look terrible.  This was just a game we never were going to win...I've moved on.  Climb back off the ledge and win tomorrow's game.