Catcher Rumors

Chicago White Sox

I've seen enough of Collins to know he is not a ML catcher. Every advanced metric and the eye test tell you that.  If the Sox weren't trying to justify using their 1st round pick on him, he'd be buried in AAA. We can't survive with him catching 5 days a week.

Hahn needs to stop hiding behind his "multiple championships" comments and get us a legit catcher now! There's no guarantee Grandal will be back this season, and if he is how effective he might be. Good organizations act decisively. The window is open. Go get us a legit catcher, a 2nd baseman, and 2 relievers. Otherwise our stay in the playoffs will be no longer than it was last season. 

• Haha 1

I wonder if St. Louis would do TRL a solid and give Molina a chance at another playoff run,  Good for everyone involved I would think.  Last year's catching was one of our biggest strengths...now we look desperate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

48 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I wonder if St. Louis would do TRL a solid and give Molina a chance at another playoff run,  Good for everyone involved I would think.  Last year's catching was one of our biggest strengths...now we look desperate.

Wow that would be amazing.

• Like 1

Just now, Dick Allen said:

My point being, there must be something wrong there. He actually has hit OK in his brief time, but this is at least the 3rd team that has got rid of him this year. 

That's a valid point. Nevertheless, I would think that he would be a defensive upgrade over Collins and Zavala. Is that appraisal too generous?

28 minutes ago, Lillian said:

It would be for his defense and pitch calling, not for his bat.

20 minutes ago, Lillian said:

That's a valid point. Nevertheless, I would think that he would be a defensive upgrade over Collins and Zavala. Is that appraisal too generous?

Most likely defensively over Collins, doubt it over Zavala. But again, he is being released for some reason, and if he provides a nicely called game and plus defense, you wonder why he can't stick somewhere. Something is up there.

25 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Most likely defensively over Collins, doubt it over Zavala. But again, he is being released for some reason, and if he provides a nicely called game and plus defense, you wonder why he can't stick somewhere. Something is up there.

The Braves are said to have released Lucroy, because they made a trade with the DBacks, to acquire catcher Stephen Vogt. He's not very good either, but apparently they prefer him to Lucroy. I have no idea what's going on with Lucroy, but if he could fill the hole, behind the plate, until Grandal returns, he could be useful. 

Noone answered my question, regarding how good of a defensive catcher Deivy Grullon is. Does anyone know? He has hit decently, since arriving at Charlotte.

Edited by Lillian

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

The Braves are said to have released Lucroy, because they made a trade with the DBacks, to acquire catcher Stephen Vogt. He's not very good either, but apparently they prefer him to Lucroy. I have no idea what's going on with Lucroy, but if he could fill the hole, behind the plate, until Grandal returns, he could be useful. 

Noone answered my question, regarding how good of a defensive catcher Deivy Grullon is. Does anyone know? He has hit decently, since arriving at Charlotte.

Grullon is ok, but was always known for his raw power more than anything else. He has a strong arm, but is fringe/average defensively. More likely a backup than anything else at the major league level.

6 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Lucroy will be a White Sox player by tomorrow. Has to be. I wonder if collins loses his starting role to him?

I would put money on it, Zack isn't a starting Catcher and the Sox know it

LuCroy is at least decent defensively

The Sox had high expectations for Lucroy early in Spring but he looked like sh1t so they released him. I doubt they pick him up now unless it is for minor league depth.

If the Cards fall back in their division they might make Yadi available.  He still has what it takes for play-off baseball. Man would that be awesome.