Catcher Rumors

Chicago White Sox

8 hours ago, tray said:

The Sox had high expectations for Lucroy early in Spring but he looked like sh1t so they released him. I doubt they pick him up now unless it is for minor league depth.

If the Cards fall back in their division they might make Yadi available.  He still has what it takes for play-off baseball. Man would that be awesome.

The Cards are 9 games back.  Sox give up a B-level prospect for Molina.   Good to go.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Cards aren’t trading Yadi.

Why not? Cards fans are generally pretty baseball savvy, and I think they'd appreciate Yadi getting a chance at one more ring before he retires. He can always re-sign after the season and then retire as a Cardinal. Plus, the next worst thing for Cubs fans after the Cards winning the WS would be the Sox winning the WS, so the Cards should want to help out.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Why not? Cards fans are generally pretty baseball savvy, and I think they'd appreciate Yadi getting a chance at one more ring before he retires. He can always re-sign after the season and then retire as a Cardinal. Plus, the next worst thing for Cubs fans after the Cards winning the WS would be the Sox winning the WS, so the Cards should want to help out.

lol have you ever talked to a cardinals fan about yadier Molina? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Their fans wouldn't trade him for Mike Trout. 

• Haha 1

The notion that Cardinal fans or Cub fans or any fans decide who gets traded is absurd. 

I'm not sure why any true White Sox fan would not want Yadi for the stretch run instead of Collins and Zavala...if Yaz cannot come back and catch.

Yadi is a gamer and a winner. You have to know Tony would want him *if* Yaz can't come back.

Edited by tray

yadi aint happening. this would be like us trading abreu or paulie .... but times 2 when we're at .500 in a retirement year for those guys. st. louis stands to make more money on ticket sales of people who come to watch his last tour than care about getting a zack burdi in return. i dont care how smart the fans are, theres just no upside to trading him. the only only way it happens is the larussa connection. id put it at 5%

also for those of you that haven't been to a cardinals game ... yadi owns that town. he's easily the fan favorite there. walks on water. his cheers are more than arenado and goldy combined. its hard to explain the love, but he's not going to be a sox

1 minute ago, BrianAnderson said:

yadi aint happening. this would be like us trading abreu or paulie .... but times 2 when we're at .500 in a retirement year for those guys. st. louis stands to make more money on ticket sales of people who come to watch his last tour than care about getting a zack burdi in return. i dont care how smart the fans are, theres just no upside to trading him. the only only way it happens is the larussa connection. id put it at 5%

If the Sox were out of contention, and didn't get a decent prospect in return for a fan favorite with an expiring contract just because he's a fan favorite, I'd be pissed.

1 hour ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

If the Sox were out of contention, and didn't get a decent prospect in return for a fan favorite with an expiring contract just because he's a fan favorite, I'd be pissed.

I remember the day I heard Harold Baines was traded to Texas...it was heart-breaking!  Of course, Larry Himes "fleeced" Texas in that deal and no way Yadi is worth 2 prospects like the White Sox hauled in for Baines.  But I do get your sentiment...it stings the fans a bit when those types of situations happen!

1 hour ago, BrianAnderson said:

also for those of you that haven't been to a cardinals game ... yadi owns that town. he's easily the fan favorite there. walks on water. his cheers are more than arenado and goldy combined. its hard to explain the love, but he's not going to be a sox

Do you really think it’s hard to explain the Cardinals fans’ love for Yadi?

If Yadi asks for a trade to the sox that's basically the scenario where it happens.

But would love to see how it's handled. Grandal would be forced into DH, Eloy into LF because Yadi isn't sitting in the playoffs with TLR as manager.

2 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

Yeah, Willie McGee was the equivalent of Yadi from the previous generation of great Cards teams…

33 minutes ago, bmags said:

If Yadi asks for a trade to the sox that's basically the scenario where it happens.

But would love to see how it's handled. Grandal would be forced into DH, Eloy into LF because Yadi isn't sitting in the playoffs with TLR as manager.

This.  He's a 10/5 guy on top of a Cardinals legend.  The ONLY way he goes anywhere is if he tells the organization to trade him.  I haven't seen anything indicating he even wants to leave.

• Like 1

Per Robert Murray:

The Chicago White Sox are looking for another catcher and it would not be a surprise if they expressed interest in Jonathan Lucroy after he was designated for assignment by the Atlanta Braves. Lucroy, after all, was with the White Sox earlier this season, with pitcher Dallas Keuchel saying in March, “He has transitioned into one of the best receivers I’ve had the last four or five years. So that is a testament to his work ethic. I feel really, really confident with him behind the plate.