Catcher Rumors

Chicago White Sox

32 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Glad to see Zavala doing well, but the sample size is so small.

Was really impressed with how he managed Kopech through his two innings with minimal damage last night, might be able to deal with the zero hitting ability if he can manage the staff like that.

26 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

The Sox could have just claimed him, no?

Yeah, would require a DFA tho.

Could theoretically sign him now as an milb deal and a trade or two over the next few days creates a roster spot without the DFA.   

But yes.  

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Correct, which means they did not.

Right which is why I'm not sure that they would sign him. Unless as chisox59 said, they signed him to a minor league deal and then just called him up in a couple days when needed to not have to make an immediate roster move.

Just now, manbearpuig said:

Right which is why I'm not sure that they would sign him. Unless as chisox59 said, they signed him to a minor league deal and then just called him up in a couple days when needed to not have to make an immediate roster move.

Typically the reason you wouldn't claim a guy is if you don't want to pay his original contract, but in a case like this, I can't imagine he is making enough that it would have mattered.  I get the feeling by not claiming him, the Sox are happier with what they have.

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, would require a DFA tho.

Could theoretically sign him now as an milb deal and a trade or two over the next few days creates a roster spot without the DFA.   

But yes.  

yeah, that is what I was thinking as well. Also, probably were looking at trade upgrades over this time as well and thinking about managing the future 40 man. I don't think Lucroy is a big addition, but it just makes sense if they want any type of bat in that spot. 

Edited by EloyJenkins

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Typically the reason you wouldn't claim a guy is if you don't want to pay his original contract, but in a case like this, I can't imagine he is making enough that it would have mattered.  I get the feeling by not claiming him, the Sox are happier with what they have.

Yeah I assumed he was making pennies but I could be wrong. The 40-man is also at 39 (if I remember and counted correctly).

Just now, EloyJenkins said:

yeah, that is what I was thinking as well. Also, probably were looking at trade upgrades over this time as well. I don't think Lucroy is a big addition, but it just makes sense if they want any type of bat in that spot. 

I would take Lucroy 100/100 times over Zavala.  He also has familiarity with the staff.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

For sure.  Not saying Sox are going to bring in Lucroy, but why DFA a guy and risk losing him if you can just sign Lucroy to an milb deal a couple days later.  With the trade deadline so close, there will be some 40 man movement and spots will open.  

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I would take Lucroy 100/100 times over Zavala.  He also has familiarity with the staff.

For sure.  Not saying Sox are going to bring in Lucroy, but why DFA a guy and risk losing him if you can just sign Lucroy to an milb deal a couple days later.  With the trade deadline so close, there will be some 40 man movement and spots will open.  

FWIW, 40 man is at 39 (I believe).

Edit: just saw your responded. I'm pretty sure no one was added to the 40 since the Eaton dfa.

Edited by manbearpuig

I don't get the hate for Zavala.  He's a fine backup catcher.  He a strong defensive catcher and the pitchers like throwing to him.  That's what backup catchers are.  Just because the now starter sucks eggs doesn't mean Zavala has to be something more than he is.  I'd be all for him being the permanent backup but that's not likely to happen.  The FO has been much better at admitting their mistakes but I don't think they're ready to admit this one just yet.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't get the hate for Zavala.  He's a fine backup catcher.  He a strong defensive catcher and the pitchers like throwing to him.  That's what backup catchers are.  Just because the now starter sucks eggs doesn't mean Zavala has to be something more than he is.  I'd be all for him being the permanent backup but that's not likely to happen.  The FO has been much better at admitting their mistakes but I don't think they're ready to admit this one just yet.  

A .528 OPS is probably ok from a defense-first, 3rd catcher, where you survive with that guy for a couple weeks. I don't feel like anyone has a handle on Grandal's situation, even though LaRussa said he's "ahead of schedule" we also are aware that Grandal has been banged up all year and they've been a little vague about his timetable. 

In a short version...you can't go into October with Collins and Zavala as your 2 catchers if there is anything you could do to avoid it. Could easily cost us a series. So we're going to talk about it for the next 8 days until we see "Grandal starts rehab assignment", or whenever there is a guy who might be available (Lucroy), it's worth pondering.

37 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Lucroy has been in 8 organizations the last 4 years. 

Probably not a coincidence. Someone was saying Lucroy is a dick and butted heads with the Sox. I forget who said it though. 

23 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't disagree with a lot of this but Zavala is atrocious at the plate. 

• Like 1