Deadline Prediction Thread

Chicago White Sox

Alright, with less than two weeks to go to the trade deadline, it’s time for a predictions thread.  Pick who you think we’ll end up acquiring and if you’re feeling bold take a guess at the cost.

Here are my official predictions:

• Eduardo Escobar & Joakim Soria for Micker Adolfo, Jason Bilous, Luis Mieses, & Reynaldo Lopez
  • Starling Marte for Konner Pilkington, Lenyn Sosa, & Isaiah Carranza
  • Raisel Iglesias for Jimmy Lambert & Jose Ruiz

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Alright, with less than two weeks to go to the trade deadline, it’s time for a predictions thread.  Pick who you think we’ll end up acquiring and if you’re feeling bold take a guess at the cost.

• Eduardo Escobar & Joakim Soria for Micker Adolfo, Jason Bilous, Luis Mieses, & Reynaldo Lopez

The first trade I can see, 2 and 3 would be amazing if it only took those guys. 

I think we eventually get Eduardo and Soria and a guy like Iglesias. I think we upgrade backup catcher over RF though. If we do upgrade RF I think it is a cheap rental with power. 

Escobar happens , no other position player.

2 good relief pitchers .I have no idea who  will be coming or going. Perhaps going will be our younger relief pitching that hasn't done the job this year but did well last year. (Heuer, Foster ) . They have promise, they still need time that the Sox may not have the luxury of giving them.

20 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The first trade I can see, 2 and 3 would be amazing if it only took those guys. 

I think we eventually get Eduardo and Soria and a guy like Iglesias. I think we upgrade backup catcher over RF though. If we do upgrade RF I think it is a cheap rental with power. 

The third trade depends on how the Angels view Ruiz (who I’m low on).  My guess is if the Angels sell, they’ll want arms that can help them next year.  I know Lambert hasn’t done great in his short stints with us, but he’s got pretty good stuff (one of the highest K rates in AAA East) and still has starter potential IMO.  If they like Ruiz, who does have a big fastball and is controllable for cheap for multiple years (albeit without options) then they might be willing to bite.

The Marte trade is probably the biggest reach.  That being said, there has been talk that Pilkington’s velocity is back to his early college days and he’s pitched fairly well for Birmingham while mostly being age-appropriate.  If so, I think he’s got more value than most people realize given he’s left-handed and not too far from the majors.  Then you have a 21 year old middle infielder in Sosa, who has been on fire with the bat since June 1st (124 wRC+).  He’s a bit of an under-the-radar type, but I’m guessing he’s a guy other teams ask about frequently.  I was a big fan of Eduardo Escobar when he was in our system and Sosa gives me similar vibes.  As for Carranza, he’s been horrible this year but he’s basically just returning from TJS so stats are somewhat meaningless at this time.  He was an overslot signing a few years back and at the very least is an interesting lottery ticket.  Again, I’m probably optimistic here, but I do think Pilkington & Sosa are both guys who are probably undervalued significantly by mainstream publications but not necessarily by scouts.

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Still funny to me that you thought I was going all in but you think the Sox are going to get 2 good position players and 2 relievers while I think we end up with 1 position player and 2 relievers. Maybe it's because I suggested Gallo but I would be fine with Marte.

I predict one of the following will be acquired at 2b: Trevor Story, Jonathon Schoop, Jorge Polonco, or Eduardo Escobar with Jake Burger being the headliner going back the other way. Each day those teams lose more leverage and if they don't move them they get nothing before free agency. Besides the sox few contenders need a middle infielder so the sox can wait for them to blink, especially with an 8 game lead and Leury an adequate replacement.

C - Yadier molina if he is willing to come.

One rh relief pitcher

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Still funny to me that you thought I was going all in but you think the Sox are going to get 2 good position players and 2 relievers while I think we end up with 1 position player and 2 relievers. Maybe it's because I suggested Gallo but I would be fine with Marte.

The “all in” depends on who’d you have to trade.  I’d rather trade a bunch of C tier prospects for rentals than overpay for team control.  Gallo in particular is going to be costly because he’s having a monster season, has another year of team control, and can still be a building block for them.  I’d also rather hold onto as many of the Kanny guys as possible and slowly build up the system again.  Finally, I’m generally an optimistic poster and my predictions will always lean that way 😉

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The “all in” depends on who’d you have to trade.  I’d rather trade a bunch of C tier prospects for rentals than overpay for team control.  Gallo in particular is going to be costly because he’s having a monster season, has another year of team control, and can still be a building block for them.  I’d also rather hold onto as many of the Kanny guys as possible and slowly build up the system again.  Finally, I’m generally an optimistic poster and my predictions will always lean that way 😉

I can tell by who you had the Sox parting with that you are generally optimistic. Did you have your rose colored glasses on typing those trades ? ;)

I'm surprised I didn't see Rutherford, Mercedes, Matt Reynolds, Luis Gonzales, Zack Burdi, Marco Hernandez, Nik Turley, Nick Williams or Tim Beckham in any of your trade proposals .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I can tell by who you had the Sox parting with that you are generally optimistic. Did you have your rose colored glasses on typing those trades ? ;)

I do think rentals will go for less than you think, but I agree the Marte trade is probably too light.  At the same time, I think you’re underestimating how much a bat like Gallo will cost.  Crochet is more or less an automatic if we want him and at least another big piece will be required.

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

My guess is still Escobar. However, I would be very surprised if it would take those four players to acquire him, even if the Dbacks included Soria. I'm not even sure why the Sox would want Soria. He isn't that good and doesn't represent a significant upgrade for the pen.  Both Escobar and Soria are rentals, who will be free agents, after this year.

The other name that intrigues me is Iglesias, however I have no idea what it would take to get him.

Edited by Lillian

Just now, Lillian said:

My guess is still Escobar. However, I would be very surprised if it would take those four players to acquire him, even if the Dbacks included Soria. I'm not even sure why the Sox would want Soria. He isn't that good and doesn't represent a significant upgrade for the pen. 

Four players is a bit misleading here.  I included Lopez in the trade as a way to clear a 40 man roster spot and give the D-Backs a small sweetener.  Also, while Adolfo has some value, the lack of options places a big cap on that.

As for Soria, to me his addition would be more about depth than being an impact guy.  That being said, he’s been better as of late (SSS) and has good experience.  I wouldn’t pay a ton for him, but I don’t expect us to land two high end relievers this deadline.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Four players is a bit misleading here.  I included Lopez in the trade as a way to clear a 40 man roster spot and give the D-Backs a small sweetener.  Also, while Adolfo has some value, the lack of options places a big cap on that.

As for Soria, to me his addition would be more about depth than being an impact guy.  That being said, he’s been better as of late (SSS) and has good experience.  I wouldn’t pay a ton for him, but I don’t expect us to land two high end relievers this deadline.

I understand. Thanks for the clarification. If Adolfo goes to another organization, does that afford the acquiring team any more flexibility, regarding his need to be added to the 40 man roster?

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

I understand. Thanks for the clarification. If Adolfo goes to another organization, does that afford the acquiring team any more flexibility, regarding his need to be added to the 40 man roster?

Nope, he has to be on the major league roster or will be exposed to waivers I believe.

Just now, Lillian said:

Any guy who is on a team's 40 man roster that gets traded must be added to the new team's 40 man roster right away or else they would have to DFA him.

I'm not 100% certain but I don't think his option years reset either so he could not be placed in the minors next year without being DFA and exposed to waivers.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I do think rentals will go for less than you think, but I agree the Marte trade is probably too light.  At the same time, I think you’re underestimating how much a bat like Gallo will cost.  Crochet is more or less an automatic if we want him and at least another big piece will be required.

I always thought the cost would be steep for Gallo but not as steep as you or others. Texas did the same thing with Lynn last year and asked for the moon and probably ended up with less than they asked for at the deadline. Or perhaps they tuned down Dunning before but realized they weren't going to get a better offer. The Gallo situation seems oddly similar. Starting pitching seems to go for more at the deadline than a position player.

Maybe a team like the Yankees end up with Gallo and will be willing to pay more since a huge power bat with their RF dimensions might be more important to them. Maybe. Houston with Kimbrel, but teams willing to make big moves do so.

There aren't a lot of household names among starting pitchers on the trade market unless you think Scherzer will be moved. Kyle Gibson, Sonny Gray, German Marquez, John Means, Danny Duffy all could be moved. I'll be watching Texas to see if they repeat the Lynn scenario or get overwhelmed for Gallo. Many times what we end up saying is "yea that was too much " or "is that all it took ? We could 've beat that."

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I always thought the cost would be steep for Gallo but not as steep as you or others. Texas did the same thing with Lynn last year and asked for the moon and probably ended up with less than they asked for at the deadline. Or perhaps they tuned down Dunning before but realized they weren't going to get a better offer. The Gallo situation seems oddly similar. Starting pitching seems to go for more at the deadline than a position player.

Maybe a team like the Yankees end up with Gallo and will be willing to pay more since a huge power bat with their RF dimensions might be more important to them. Maybe. Houston with Kimbrel, but teams willing to make big moves do so.

There aren't a lot of household names among starting pitchers on the trade market unless you think Scherzer will be moved. Kyle Gibson, Sonny Gray, German Marquez, John Means, Danny Duffy all could be moved. I'll be watching Texas to see if they repeat the Lynn scenario or get overwhelmed for Gallo. Many times what we end up saying is "yea that was too much " or "is that all it took ? We could 've beat that."

Their is talk that the rangers may not want to trade Gallo. They may go after Texas native free agents Kershaw and Story and be competive in their new ball park to keep people buying tickets

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

The question that I'd like answered is; with which teams are the Sox in competition to acquire a power, switch hitting second baseman, or a right handed reliever for the 8th inning?   

Jon Heyman said multiple teams are after Escobar and you can bet your bottom dollar that the market for relief pitching will be very strong. With the normal season following the short season, injuries and uncertainly about how arms will hold up in the 2nd half could drive the market.