Deadline Prediction Thread

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, kleedawg said:

Their is talk that the rangers may not want to trade Gallo. They may go after Texas native free agents Kershaw and Story and be competive in their new ball park to keep people buying tickets

That is also a possibility if they feel they aren't getting good enough offers but they are a long way off from being competitive. They'd be idiotic to throw good money after bad. More like that kind of talk is a ploy to make it seem like moving Gallo isn't a priority to make it appears like they would have to be overwhelmed to give him up.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That is also a possibility if they feel they aren't getting good enough offers but they are a long way off from being competitive. They'd be idiotic to throw good money after bad. More like that kind of talk is a ploy to make it seem like moving Gallo isn't a priority to make it appears like they would have to be overwhelmed to give him up.

I think their definition of competitive in this instance is 500 or slightly better, not playoff bound. Just an interesting team for fans to watch.

52 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

I think their definition of competitive in this instance is 500 or slightly better, not playoff bound. Just an interesting team for fans to watch.

Maybe. .500 is good for attendance in the near term to get people in the new stadium and familiar and comfortable with it but if that's all they want it can probably be done without Gallo. You don't need to spend big money on Kershaw or Story. I doubt the attendance increases much with native Texans on the roster. .500 is not a good place to be for the future of the team.

Agreed that they are interesting but usually that means you'd like them not to be Colorado Rockies type interesting.

1. Richard Rodriguez and Jacob stallings FOR burger, Collins, Kelley, López. 2. Daniel bard and Ryan McMahon FOR sheets, afolfo, dahlquist, Truly not sure if we would need to give up more for four guys not on last year of contract. The players and positions(reliever, catcher, infield with flex), I feel is most necessary for this year. Lynn signing does allow Sox to more freely trade pitching depth. There will be strong competition for these players if they are deemed tradeable. Go Sox! 

19 hours ago, Backwash07 said:

2. Daniel bard and Ryan McMahon FOR sheets, afolfo, dahlquist, 

Yuck.

When evaluating Rockies, you HAVE TO look at the splits, because their numbers at Coors are completely and totally artificial.

McMahon Splits: a vomit-inducing 67 WRC+ vs RHP away from Coors. 

Daniel Bard, by himself in trades, is mildly interesting as a middle reliever. But NO FUCKING WAY would i waste sheets and dahlquist in the pursuit of Ryan McMahon. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Yuck.

When evaluating Rockies, you HAVE TO look at the splits, because their numbers at Coors are completely and totally artificial.

McMahon Splits: a vomit-inducing 67 WRC+ vs RHP away from Coors. 

Daniel Bard, by himself in trades, is mildly interesting as a middle reliever. But NO FUCKING WAY would i waste sheets and dahlquist in the pursuit of Ryan McMahon. 

Yeah, at this point if you are trading Sheets you need to get either a difference maker rental or someone with a little bit more control (gallo-esque) involved. Makes no sense to trade Sheets for someone similiar who will walk after the year.

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

Yeah, at this point if you are trading Sheets you need to get either a difference maker rental or someone with a little bit more control (gallo-esque) involved. Makes no sense to trade Sheets for someone similiar who will walk after the year.

Given where the team is right now, what the roster deficiencies are, the questionable work stoppage for 2022, and where the MiLB system is, I'd prefer rentals being acquired at the TDL.

I'd also prefer to avoid trading Sheets/Burger at the moment, and learn more about them. Then, in the offseason? Maybe Burger or Sheets can be a part of a package for a controllable player. Maybe we learn more about the labor negotiations. And maybe some youngsters in MiLB pick their heads up and grow a bit in the 2nd half.

But right now, I'd rather not try to commit to anything beyond this season for an acquisition. 

20 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Given where the team is right now, what the roster deficiencies are, the questionable work stoppage for 2022, and where the MiLB system is, I'd prefer rentals being acquired at the TDL.

I'd also prefer to avoid trading Sheets/Burger at the moment, and learn more about them. Then, in the offseason? Maybe Burger or Sheets can be a part of a package for a controllable player. Maybe we learn more about the labor negotiations. And maybe some youngsters in MiLB pick their heads up and grow a bit in the 2nd half.

But right now, I'd rather not try to commit to anything beyond this season for an acquisition. 

Agreed on Burger and Sheets.  Burger has to stay.  Yoan needs a lot of rest over the course of a season and Burger's bat is lethal.

One 'out of the box' idea is to trade for younger high school prospects to replenish the system.  The Sox have to make a decision on a few upper level prospects soon and instead of adding to the big team, why not grab a bunch of younger kids drafted the last two years?  

On 7/17/2021 at 12:26 PM, Backwash07 said:

1. Richard Rodriguez and Jacob stallings FOR burger, Collins, Kelley, López. 2. Daniel bard and Ryan McMahon FOR sheets, afolfo, dahlquist, Truly not sure if we would need to give up more for four guys not on last year of contract. The players and positions(reliever, catcher, infield with flex), I feel is most necessary for this year. Lynn signing does allow Sox to more freely trade pitching depth. There will be strong competition for these players if they are deemed tradeable. Go Sox! 

Welcome to Soxtalk!

Edited by hi8is

Who the Sox Will Add:

Joey Gallo

Andrew Chafin

Eduardo Escobar

Yimi Garcia

Traded:

Gavin Sheets

Jared Kelly

Matthew Thompson

Jonathan Stiever

Jimmy Lambert

Micker Adolfo

Matt Foster

Bryan Ramos

+ a few others

The Rangers deal for Gallo could be Sheets, Kelly and Thompson headlining. [Both Kelly and Thompson are from Texas]. 

In the offseason I could see the Sox trading Jake Burger and Dallas Keuchel to rebuild some lost depth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beck72 said:

Who the Sox Will Add:

Joey Gallo

Andrew Chafin

Eduardo Escobar

Yimi Garcia

Traded:

Gavin Sheets

Jared Kelly

Matthew Thompson

Jonathan Stiever

Jimmy Lambert

Micker Adolfo

Matt Foster

Bryan Ramos

+ a few others

The Rangers deal for Gallo could be Sheets, Kelly and Thompson headlining. [Both Kelly and Thompson are from Texas]. 

In the offseason I could see the Sox trading Jake Burger and Dallas Keuchel to rebuild some lost depth. 

IMO, there is almost no chance that Hahn makes that many trades, involving that many players. Taken individually, I'm not sure how to evaluate those suggestions, since there are no specific trade details, but in totality, that amount of player movement doesn't seem plausible. When you have a team that is this good, tinkering around the edges makes more sense. 

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lillian said:

IMO, there is almost no chance that Hahn makes that many trades, involving that many players. Taken individually, I'm not sure how to evaluate those suggestions, since there are no specific trade details, but in totality, that amount of player movement doesn't seem plausible. When you have a team that is this good, tinkering around the edges makes more sense. 

Agree with fringe moves.  As the Sox continue to win, Hahn will be less likely to make any major moves.  I think 1-2 fill-in  positional pieces and 1 bullpen piece may be it.  Now if some team gets desperate and gives us a discount on a must-take or is very high on one of our players that Hahn isn't then maybe that changes things. 

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

I just think the “window” to win even it is 5 years, 2021 counts as 20% of the years. The Sox are a few additions short even with Eloy, Robert and Grandal coming back. (Even then, it’s almost impossible to get the same production from them they typically would produce).  

The bullpen guys and Escobar would be expected adds. Gallo would be a reach but if he’s going to be dealt, why not the Sox? He makes a lot of sense for the next 2 years with Vaughn in LF. Especially as he can play 1B as well as RF

The key for Hahn and the front office is knowing who to hang onto and who to deal. This means minor league talent as well as proven major leaguers.

22 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

Just a guess? Or is this based on some insider chit chat?

Definitely smoke with Story, but mostly guess. Not even sure Iglesias is available but def a target that is realistic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2021 at 2:26 PM, Backwash07 said:

Not a fan of either of these trades. 

Seems like a pretty poor use of assets, especially Burger/Sheets/Kelley