Deadline Prediction Thread

Chicago White Sox

26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There is zero chance we don’t make multiple additions.  Worst case scenario, we add one reliever and backup IF.  More likely, we add a starting 2B and two relievers.  Not totally out of the question is an OF on top of all that.

I agree. Hahn didn’t sign Grandal, and Hendriks and trade for Lynn to waste their solid All Star years. Hahn sees the bullpen weakness as well as anyone. He has to address those holes with at least 2 8th innings guys. The 2020 bullpen guys cannot be trusted. 

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, BRDSR said:

I don’t think we’re getting more than a starting 2B and a solid 7th/8th inning reliever.  And I’m getting nervous that the Sox won’t go out and get that done.

At bare minimum they need a 2B and a good reliever.

• Like 2

Sox get Craig Kimbrel for Gavin Sheets [or Jake Burger], Codi Heuer + another prospect. 

If they are going to go all in, getting Kimbrel for the 8th to team with Liam [and be insurance in case of an injury to Hendriks] makes a ton more sense than just adding a guy like Richard Rodriguez. 

I still think the Sox add another LH reliever and add an IFer [Trevor Story]

On 7/26/2021 at 7:31 PM, Lillian said:

I agree, and I'm also very skeptical about the idea of adding an outfielder. 

Yep...the outfield is going to get crowded when Robert comes back.  Money needs to go to relief pitching and 2nd base.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

Yep...the outfield is going to get crowded when Robert comes back.  Money needs to go to relief pitching and 2nd base.

Crowded for who though?  I get prioritizing 2B and the bullpen, but having a bunch of guys like Engel, Goodwin, & Hamilton shouldn’t prevent us from upgrading RF.  The challenge is more around having the prospect capital to address all three areas.

Predict the Sox add Javy Baez. Escobar has seemed like the best fit-lefty bat, power. Unless he’s their fallback option or he’s hurt/ dinged up. I do like Story. But he hasn’t played 2b in the majors. 

Baez could fill in the 2b hole with his defense and power. But he can also be valuable come playoff time. Tell me you can’t see him get on base by legging out a slow roller and running the bases like a wild man. I don’t want anyone else to do that. Sure he can be a dick but he leaves it all out on the field. He also provides insurance in case of injury/ needed days off for TA and Yoan. 

Baez has every incentive to play hard the rest of 2021, put in his work, be a good teammate, for his next contract. 

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Crowded for who though?  I get prioritizing 2B and the bullpen, but having a bunch of guys like Engel, Goodwin, & Hamilton shouldn’t prevent us from upgrading RF.  The challenge is more around having the prospect capital to address all three areas.

I think Jimenez, Robert, Vaughn, Engel, and Sheets will all get substantial playing time in the outfield.  The two guys not playing outfield at any one time will be in the DH mix with Grandal and Jose.  Leury keeps a job because of his flexibility and Hamilton has late-inning running and defense abilities.  No room at the inn for anyone else.

35 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Vaughn will see a lot of time in RF. Eloy will be mostly in LF. I guess if you're looking at a playoff game OF, you have Vaughn in LF, Robert in CF, and Engel/ Goodwin in RF. Or have Eloy, Robert and Vaughn from LF-RF. 

2 minutes ago, beck72 said:

Vaughn will see a lot of time in RF. Eloy will be mostly in LF. I guess if you're looking at a playoff game OF, you have Vaughn in LF, Robert in CF, and Engel/ Goodwin in RF. Or have Eloy, Robert and Vaughn from LF-RF. 

I agree here. Sheets provides needed LH power in DH OR Grandal in DH on off days. Vaughn's bat needs to be in lineup now even vs. RHP, so that's RF.

2b is the sweet spot, easy to fill, lots of options, perfect for a rental.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I agree here. Sheets provides needed LH power in DH OR Grandal in DH on off days. Vaughn's bat needs to be in lineup now even vs. RHP, so that's RF.

2b is the sweet spot, easy to fill, lots of options, perfect for a rental.

And Leury is making it really easy for the front office to add a 2B.  There are enough options out there that would be an improvement over what he is providing right now.

I think the Sox add someone for 2b with the added benefit of injury protection. We get our 2 OFer's back. But what if someone else goes down. Jose gets hurt, Vaughn could move to 1st. Yoan or TA get injured? Up a creek. You add a Baez...The Sox could still win in the playoffs with him filling in at SS or 3b. Escobar works for 3b and 2b. The only thing that makes sense is the Sox are thinking bigger or not liking his health status or he'd be on the Sox now. I couldn't see the asking price as that outrageous for Escobar.

37 minutes ago, beck72 said:

Goodwin will not be on the playoff roster IMO.

2 hours ago, beck72 said:

Predict the Sox add Javy Baez. Escobar has seemed like the best fit-lefty bat, power. Unless he’s their fallback option or he’s hurt/ dinged up. I do like Story. But he hasn’t played 2b in the majors. 

Baez could fill in the 2b hole with his defense and power. But he can also be valuable come playoff time. Tell me you can’t see him get on base by legging out a slow roller and running the bases like a wild man. I don’t want anyone else to do that. Sure he can be a dick but he leaves it all out on the field. He also provides insurance in case of injury/ needed days off for TA and Yoan. 

Baez has every incentive to play hard the rest of 2021, put in his work, be a good teammate, for his next contract. 

Kind of a volatile guy. Not sure that's what the Sox want.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

13 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I predict they add a reliever or two but for they find that the cost for a good second baseman is going to be steep and they roll with Mendick or Garcia.

If the Frazier trade is any indication, the price tag for a rental 2B shouldn't be bad at all.  However, who knows what the FO would consider too steep.

50 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Kind of a volatile guy. Not sure that's what the Sox want.

I'm sure they'd run it by Abreu and guys in the clubhouse. Baez has to be known to Sox players. If he'd be a distraction and freak show, they wouldn't want that no matter what he could contribute on the field.