Should Tim Anderson try to add more power to his game?

Southwest Sider

Let me preface by saying I don't necessarily believe that he should, but I believe TA can do almost anything he wants on a baseball diamond, and I also believe if he committed to the idea, he could hit more home runs. 

TA believes he's the best short stop in the game. I believe him, I think a lot of us believe him, or at least respect that he feels that way. The thing is, other shortstops in the league are hitting for more power and not having to sacrifice too much of their batting average to do so. I believe TA really loves having a high batting average and it shows as he does hit tons of singles. He is also sporting a respectable 2.5 fWAR... but could he be better? 

Tatis Jr has .286 BA, 28 HRs and a 4.1 fWAR.

Bogaerts has .318 BA, 15 HRs and a 3.9 fWAR.

Turner .319, 17 HRs and a 3.9 fWAR.

Correa .283, 16 HRs and a 3.4 fWAR

Crawford has a .289, 18 HRs and a 3.4 fWAR

Bichette .295 16 HRs and a 2.7 fWAR

And then you have our TA who has 6 HRs and that 2.5 fWAR. Certainly terrible, but not the best SS in the league or the AL. Other SS's also have a higher walk rate and respectable batting averages along with their power. 

Tim has the swagger. He has the confidence. He has the skills too, IMO. Should he start trying to hit for more power? Would he be a more effective middle of the order bat as well? 

Edited by South Sider

No. Tim is the leadoff hitter, he's doing what he is asked to do which is get on base, drive the ball to the gaps, use his speed to stretch out singles to doubles, and set the table / provide a spark to the White Sox offense.

The only thing I would "change" about Tim Anderson is to have him stop attempting so many steals. He leads MLB in caught stealing with 7. He has a 66% success rate, far below break even 76% rate. If he is to steal at all, it should only be when he has a distinct advantage. 

The Sox need to shift from Tony's obsession of making unnecessary (caught stealing / failed hit and runs) and intentional outs (bunting), and move to the 20th Century (Earl Weaver / Casey Stengel) and 21st Century (every manager under 76 years old) mathematically proven strategies. They also need to embrace 20th / 21st century defensive positioning, primarily employing proper defensive shifting against RH hitters. Failure to rectify Tony's extreme stubbornness will result in an unnecessary early exit from the playoffs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

No. Tim is the leadoff hitter, he's doing what he is asked to do which is get on base, drive the ball to the gaps, use his speed to stretch out singles to doubles, and set the table / provide a spark to the White Sox offense.

The only thing I would "change" about Tim Anderson is to have him stop attempting so many steals. He leads MLB in caught stealing with 7. He has a 66% success rate, far below break even 76% rate. If he is to steal at all, it should only be when he has a distinct advantage. 

The Sox need to shift from Tony's obsession of making unnecessary (caught stealing / failed hit and runs) and intentional outs (bunting), and move to the 20th Century (Earl Weaver / Casey Stengel) and 21st Century (every manager under 76 years old) mathematically proven strategies. They also need to embrace 20th / 21st century defensive positioning, primarily employing proper defensive shifting against RH hitters. Failure to rectify Tony's extreme stubbornness will result in an unnecessary early exit from the playoffs.

I agree he should cut down on the steals but a couple of those caught stealings were botched hit and runs.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I don't really disagree with your post. In a world where Nick Madrigal didn't get injured, I might ask that of Nick and utilize Tim as more of the middle of the order bat. Like I said, I believe that he can do anything he sets his mind to in this game, including hitting for more power. What do you think of trying to do something like that next year? 

2 hours ago, South Sider said:

I don't really disagree with your post. In a world where Nick Madrigal didn't get injured, I might ask that of Nick and utilize Tim as more of the middle of the order bat. Like I said, I believe that he can do anything he sets his mind to in this game, including hitting for more power. What do you think of trying to do something like that next year? 

Nearly all players can add power by swinging aggressively, but it cuts down on contact rate and batting average. Power is returning with Robert and Eloy, plus Vaughn should turn some doubles into homers in his second season.

Hopefully Nick can stay healthy to provide the 9-1 table setting that worked well to start the season. The wild card is Tony freaking out for having only two LH/SH options with his best everyday lineup.

2021 OPS (2020 for Eloy & Engel)

1. SS Anderson .779
  2. 3B Moncada # .795
  3. 1B Abreu .776
  4. DH Jimenez .891
  5. CF Robert .822
  6. C Grandal # .824
  7. LF Vaughn .763
  8. RF Engel .811
  9. 2B Madrigal .774

Bench: C Collins; Inf Leury; OF TBD