Lance Lynn locked up 2 years 38 mill + club option

soxfan49

30 minutes ago, fathom said:

I would say the opposite and gives them more cost certainty for next year, which allows them to trade guys they might have needed.

I would not be surprised if one of Crochet or Cease is traded this month (obviously for someone controlled, not a Story type)

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

I would not be surprised if one of Crochet or Cease is traded this month (obviously for someone controlled, not a Story type)

Seems like a big risk to give up Cease and basically leave you an injury away from garbage next season…and Keuchel’s already on his last legs as it stands.   JR is not one to get rid of the cost controlled player in favor of the much more expensive and fading veteran.  

Last time a similar move happened was Daniel Hudson for Edwin Jackson, or the Todd Ritchie deal.  The other one, Bassitt and Montas hardly had any major league time.

Crochet seems much more likely.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

SFG

NYM/NYY

Boston

Houston (probably not)

LAA/LAD

Anaheim feels like a good bet.
What other teams can give Rodon 4/$80 and not blink if it goes bad?  

Doesn’t feel like a typical Cardinals move…Toronto, if they can increase their revenue the last 2-3 months playing north of the border.  Padres are already extended and have Clevinger coming back next year.

Rodon is going to be a fascinating negotiation/deal with basically one good year under his belt.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

White Sox wins WS in 2023.

Parkman: be glad this happened, everyone is gone in 2 years.

Parkman just wants another rebuild. He walk backs his statements everytime he says it but that's really what he wants. He wanted both those pitchers gone and to waive the white flag on this year. 

• Like 3

Hell yes (Hawk voice)

We are now in the position of being THE lead dog in all of baseball. We've entered Tier 1 territory with this team for the next 2-3 years. 

Love, love, love having Crochet still as a 6 man rotation. Probably seals Rodon fate, but you have to just love this deal. I've been one of the biggest Rodon fan boys for 3-4 years now and I still even would prefer Lynn. You'll get 3 solid years out of him at a good price and someone will sign Rodon for 4/70mm and get less innings/WAR/production over those 4 and 70 than we'll get over 3/60 with Lynn. 

Big move. 

As others said - this opens up Stiever to be traded. Hell, Kelley too maybe. Good stuff. 

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Seems like a big risk to give up Cease and basically leave you an injury away from garbage next season…and Keuchel’s already on his last legs as it stands.   JR is not one to get rid of the cost controlled player in favor of the much more expensive and fading veteran.  

Last time a similar move happened was Daniel Hudson for Edwin Jackson, or the Todd Ritchie deal.  The other one, Bassitt and Montas hardly had any major league time.

Crochet seems much more likely.

You can't trade Cease.  You just can't.  The pitching in the minors is  either struggling to stay healthy or consistently perform.  AND as we saw with Cease, even highly projected young pitchers often struggle for a couple seasons in MLB making adjustments.

3 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Hell yes (Hawk voice)

We are now in the position of being THE lead dog in all of baseball. We've entered Tier 1 territory with this team for the next 2-3 years. 

Love, love, love having Crochet still as a 6 man rotation. Probably seals Rodon fate, but you have to just love this deal. I've been one of the biggest Rodon fan boys for 3-4 years now and I still even would prefer Lynn. You'll get 3 solid years out of him at a good price and someone will sign Rodon for 4/70mm and get less innings/WAR/production over those 4 and 70 than we'll get over 3/60 with Lynn. 

Big move. 

As others said - this opens up Stiever to be traded. Hell, Kelley too maybe. Good stuff. 

We’re not the Dodgers yet.  That requires winning at least 1/3rd of the 8 consecutive NL West titles…likely nine in a row with Bellinger back and Seager not far behind, chasing down SF.

Now if the Sox sign Bauer for 2022…(obviously not serious), realistically, it means a “big/ger boys” $150-$165 million payroll.

We have an argument with ALL our key starters back and healthy for 2022.

Both teams have bullpen weaknesses, and the Dodgers are getting a surprisingly pedestrian showing from Betts, but that offense has so much firepower up and down the lineup and they almost all of them consistently take professional at bats and work pitchers to death.

21 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Hoyt without the diverse arsenal and powdered nose

Or Buerhle too . Just good old boys who don't necessarily have to squeeze every dollar out of teams. Some guys just end up saying  how much different can my lifestyle be with $70M over $40 million ?I'm sure they get all kind of advice about taxes  eating up large portions of big contracts so the more you get is better but sometimes when you are bird hunting the bird in hand is better than the bird in your sights.

24 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Crochet long shot. Cease super long shot or any starting pitcher currently in the rotation + Kopech super long shot. I would really be surprised.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You'd be surprised, one of those guys turned into Tatis Jr once upon a time.  But go on.

Oh, Tatis Jr. Now I bet tons of teams want a crappy SP because one time a crappy SP was traded for a generational talent

Apparently my Tuesday poll was more timely than all of us expected, and the contract within the range discussed. This brings payroll to the $160M range the next two years, pending any additional approved signings. The Sox must be pleased with the increased ticket demand and believe it is sustainable based on the team's prospects. They will likely have a major season ticket push for the remainder of this year + 2022 deposit for 2021 playoff ticket options.

Still hope they can sign Rodon and or have flexibility to add one or two more key pieces during this window.

2022 ($157M): Abreu $19.7M, Lynn $18.5M, Grandal $18.3M, Keuchel $18M, Moncada $13.8M, Hendriks $13M, Anderson $9.5M, Jimenez $7.3M, Giolito $6M (Arb est), Robert $6M, Bummer $2.5M, Engel $2.2M (Arb est), (Eaton BO $1M) + 14 More Players ($21.2M - most at minimum which may increase with CBA plus a few in the $1M-$3M range)

2023 ($160M): Keuchel $20M, Lynn $19.5M, Grandal $18.3M, Moncada $17.8M, Hendriks $14M, Anderson $12.5M, Jimenez $10.3M, Robert $9.5M, Giolito $8M (Arb est), Bummer $3.8M, Engel $3.0M (Arb est) + 15 More Players ($23.2M - most at minimum which may increase with CBA plus a few in the $1M-$3M range)

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And for the record, I extend Lynn over Rodon for sure if I have to choose.  Rodons arm will fall off soon enough. It's what he does. I don't want to be the fool that pays for 4 years and gets 1.5.

I think most Sox fans feel that way. 

I'm perfectly ok that they chose Lynn. 

Ride Rodon this year like a mule and let the chips fall where they may. 

I wonder if this opens up a 3 way deal where Keuchel goes to a team needing SP, Prospects go to the selling team and the Sox pick up a piece they need. Kopech to the rotation for the rest of the season. 

Now that Lynn is signed up for the next 2 seasons, I can STFU about selling. This is what needed to happen for me to STFU about that. They have a 3 year window. Go maximize it now. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Oh, Tatis Jr. Now I bet tons of teams want a crappy SP because one time a crappy SP was traded for a generational talent

The point is teams do always want starting pitching. It might be expensive crap starting pitching to you but a guy who can make all his starts and have a 4.00 ERA in the AL is quite useful to a lot of teams and they will trade prospects or a near MLB player for him. It's not unheard of.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• bmags pinned this topic
  • raBBit unpinned this topic