Lance Lynn locked up 2 years 38 mill + club option

soxfan49

3 hours ago, Lillian said:

You know me. That RF spot needs to be filled by a LH bat. Acquire Gallo for the next year and 1/2. Then, hope either Colas, Rutherford or some other player can fill that spot. I have never liked the idea of Cespedes filling that hole in RF. He's yet one more RH bat, to go along with T. A., Eloy, Abreu, Robert, Vaughn and Madrigal. I would gladly give up Yoelkis and a couple of other lesser prospects, for Gallo. Who knows, maybe they could extend him, after next season. Gallo is only 27, so he could become one of the core pieces, for the rest of this window of contention.

Rutherford probably won’t be in the organization after this season as his performance doesn’t warrant a 40 man spot IMO.  Colas isn’t even a part or the organization.  I’d 100% deal Cespedes for Gallo regardless, but that’s not going to be enough.

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I don't think that it would take that much, but if so, I would not be in favor of it.

If I were Texas, I would not insist on a big second piece if Crochet were moved and would accept lower level pieces, but I would not move him without Crochet as a key piece. Your call. 

Just now, Lillian said:

I don't think that it would take that much, but if so, I would not be in favor of it.

Gallo is on pace for a 6+ win season and he’s still very young, meaning the Rangers can extent & build around him.  The Rangers are going to need at least one top 100 prospect plus other stuff at a minimum.  Unfortunately for us Crochet is the only guy that fits the bill.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If I were Texas, I would not insist on a big second piece if Crochet were moved and would accept lower level pieces, but I would not move him without Crochet as a key piece. Your call. 

That would be a tough call. I'm not sure I'd do that. If the Sox view Crochet as a future piece of the starting rotation, I don't think I would. If Texas wouldn't accept some hitting prospects and an arm like Steiver or Lambert, I'd pass. There is always free agency, after next season. They might be able to just sign him then. I'd rather that they settled for Escobar, which shouldn't cost much, as a rental, and let the guys they have handle RF, for the rest of this year.

Edited by Lillian

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Gallo is on pace for a 6+ win season and he’s still very young, meaning the Rangers can extent & build around him.  The Rangers are going to need at least one top 100 prospect plus other stuff at a minimum.  Unfortunately for us Crochet is the only guy that fits the bill.

No that's fortunate because dealing Crochet for a RF just fills one hole to create another.

I'm glad we aren't dealing Kopech or Crochet, especially for 1.3 years of an OF

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lillian said:

That would be a tough call. I'm not sure I'd do that. If the Sox view Crochet as a future piece of the starting rotation, I don't think I would. If Texas wouldn't accept some hitting prospects and an arm like Steiver or Lambert, I'd pass. There is always free agency, after next season. They might be able to just sign him then. I'd rather that they settled for Escobar, which shouldn't cost much, as a rental, and let the guys they have handle RF, for the rest of this year.

Texas should not do that. If they can’t get a Crochet and a couple talented A ball players, they should just extend him or wait for a better offer. Teams make dumb moves so I can’t say they won’t, but giving up Gallo without a MLB ready centerpiece would be a dumb move.

2 minutes ago, CeaseAndExist said:

No that's fortunate because dealing Crochet for a RF just fills one hole to create another.

I'm glad we aren't dealing Kopech or Crochet, especially for 1.3 years of an OF

My point is that unfortunately for us either we deal a key piece of our bullpen or we likely can’t get him.  I’m not suggesting we do or don’t that trade, just pointing out we don’t have any other top 100 prospects.  Also, I wouldn’t deal Kopech for you pretty much anything and consider him a much more valuable asset than Crochet.

44 minutes ago, ron883 said:

My only concern with Lynn is that now he has his big contract, will he let his body go?

Like it or not, this is a reasonable gamble on a short deal. Lynn’s motivation is being on a championship caliber team. That should be motivating enough for him to pitch with his hands clean.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Rutherford probably won’t be in the organization after this season as his performance doesn’t warrant a 40 man spot IMO.  Colas isn’t even a part or the organization.  I’d 100% deal Cespedes for Gallo regardless, but that’s not going to be enough.

….and Gallo turns into Adam Dunn part deux

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, Heads22 said:

I wrote a piece before the season comparing Lance Lynn and Trevor Bauer.  Here's the link.  And here was the post. 

Here are two stat lines using Baseball References averages over 162 games.

14 W - 10 L, 3.57 ERA, 196 IP, 73 BB, 194 K, 116 ERA+, 3.62 FIP, 2.67 K/BB ratio, 24.2 career WAR in 9 seasons

13 W - 11 L, 3.90 ERA, 202 IP, 77 BB, 217 K, 113 ERA+, 3.85 FIP, 2.82 K/BB ratio, 17.5 career WAR in 9 seasons.

Which of these two stat lines would you rather have? 

Which one is Lance Lynn and which one is Trevor Bauer? 

Lance Lynn has the first line. Now, he's older, and will turn 34 in May. Bauer will turn 30 in January. But he's also a whole lot cheaper. 

And if you think that Bauer is just going to repeat his Cy Young numbers on a full season when having to play outside the AL/NL Central, then look at Bauer's 2019 season, which was split between Cleveland and Cincy (with no DH):

11-13, 4.48 ERA, 213 innings, 83 BB, 253 K, 106 ERA+, 4.34 FIP, 3.09 K/BB ratio, 1.1 WAR. 

Here's Lance Lynn's 2019 season

16-11, 3.67 ERA, 208.1 innings, 59 BB, 256 Ks, 141 ERA+, 3.13 FIP, 4.17 K/BB ratio, 7.5 WAR.

So, why is everyone clamoring for Bauer over Lynn? 

Younger, yes. Cheaper, no. Better pitcher, maybe. More reliable, no. 

The Sox have Lance Lynn for one year at $8M. They can probably extend him for another two years for Keuchel money, or less. If so, they would spend less for three years of Lynn than Bauer will likely get over the next two years, and may end up with the better pitcher. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 3

10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I've already seen the Adam Dunn show, and I don't want to see it again.

• raBBit unpinned this topic