Lance Lynn locked up 2 years 38 mill + club option

soxfan49

One reason why I didn't initially favor the acquisition of Lynn was that I thought that there was no freakin way he was NOT going to FA after this season. Im pleased to have been wrong.

On Gallo, I believe it will cost too much (i.e. a piece this team is using RIGHT NOW) to acquire him. And in landing Gallo, it would open up another hole in this roster. It doesn't hurt to ask, but I doubt this team has the ammo to get him, without hurting this roster in some other way. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hi8is said:

You deserve a cookie.

He certainly does. He nailed it. I'd give him a whole box of cookies.

I'd also like to pass out cookies to those who didn't like him as a person. Character matters, the Sox usually care about getting players who are high quality people.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Lynn is so likable.  

I'm secretly hoping they find a way to keep Carlos too.  With his and Kopech's injury/stamina issues, having depth and maybe even a six man rotation next year would be awesome. It would really help Dallas too. 

41 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

One reason why I didn't initially favor the acquisition of Lynn was that I thought that there was no freakin way he was NOT going to FA after this season. Im pleased to have been wrong.

On Gallo, I believe it will cost too much (i.e. a piece this team is using RIGHT NOW) to acquire him. And in landing Gallo, it would open up another hole in this roster. It doesn't hurt to ask, but I doubt this team has the ammo to get him, without hurting this roster in some other way. 

Adding another OF does not sound ideal. Sox should lock up Escobar and get ready for the playoffs. 

46 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Very much agreed.

5 minutes ago, black jack said:

Lynn is so likable.  

I'm secretly hoping they find a way to keep Carlos too.  With his and Kopech's injury/stamina issues, having depth and maybe even a six man rotation next year would be awesome. It would really help Dallas too. 

I think there is a real chance that Rodon plays next year on a short term deal or a deal that has an opt out. If he has 2 straight 6 WAR seasons and is still hitting FA in his 20s, he would have a very convincing case that he was over his injuries and deserved a contract comparable to the top pitchers in the league. Plus, he could get through the QO year, if such a thing remains.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think there is a real chance that Rodon plays next year on a short term deal or a deal that has an opt out. If he has 2 straight 6 WAR seasons and is still hitting FA in his 20s, he would have a very convincing case that he was over his injuries and deserved a contract comparable to the top pitchers in the league. Plus, he could get through the QO year, if such a thing remains.

Man, I hope so.  I know a six man rotation won't happen, but there has to be a formula to keep six starters fresh and ready.  

Smarter people than I can iron out the finer details.

How about a revolving "skip" a start?  Every third start or so you get skipped for "maintenance" and the sixth guy takes your place.  There has to be a way. 

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Carlos once had a chronic structural shoulder/bicep issue that was corrected with surgery. And TJ. Neither issue seems like it will be a problem going forward. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You just compared Gallo to Dunn, so not sure what Engel has anything to do about it.  The point is Gallo is a monster with the bat and the glove, so his floor is certainly not Adam Dunn even if his offense breaks bad.

Someone said he had a GG. Yes, in a shortened season. You already have good defense in Adam Engel. I would rather play Sheets in RF for his bat and sub Engel in as a replacement than give up a bunch of prospects for a 1yr and 2 months of control.

31 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Carlos once had a chronic structural shoulder/bicep issue that was corrected with surgery. And TJ. Neither issue seems like it will be a problem going forward. 

The shoulder issue has the possibility of having further issues in the future.  Not the UCL though.

19 hours ago, ShoeLessRob said:

They just locked up a TOR ace on a team friendly contract for two more years. Gimme a break. 

Yes - that's exactly what they did. 

I was responding, globally, to the absurdity that this gives them cushion so that the Sox should now  start trading. young pitching to plug some marginal holes for this season.  Crochet remains extremely valuable to this org.

The Sox did the serious work in the offseason:  Rodon and Lynn.  Whether by fortune, scouting some of both, these are the levels of players serious contenders trade for this time of year.   The Sox have a top 3 that stand against anyone.

Edited by GreenSox

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

Yes - that's exactly what they did. 

I was responding, globally, to the absurdity that this gives them cushion so that the Sox should now  start trading. young pitching to plug some marginal holes for this season.  Crochet remains extremely valuable to this org.

The Sox did the serious work in the offseason:  Rodon and Lynn.  Whether by fortune, scouting some of both, these are the levels of players serious contenders trade for this time of year.   The Sox have a top 3 that stand against anyone.

What do you think about the Sox trading some of the blocked upper level prospects for some single A kids to start a third wave?  

Instead of dumping these guys on rentals and bullpen arms, let's play the long game and keep this thing rolling another ten years. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

The shoulder issue has the possibility of having further issues in the future.  Not the UCL though.

That’s not clear. To me at least. During my reading on it when it was going on I don’t have a specific recall on this possibility. I would think even if so he has crossed the first threshold of avoiding that by making a full and somewhat prolonged recovery already.

1 hour ago, Chick Mercedes said:

That’s not clear. To me at least. During my reading on it when it was going on I don’t have a specific recall on this possibility. I would think even if so he has crossed the first threshold of avoiding that by making a full and somewhat prolonged recovery already.

Not necessarily.  Whenever you have the surgery he did there is a increased chance of instability. Which in turn could lead to further issues.

It's not clear because there is an increased chance but no guarantee either way.

I really like the extension. Even if he does get hurt his contract ends before the current core gets expensive in arb or needs to be resigned so there isn't much risk and there is a solid chance he ages well and is good for those two years before they can sign a new guy or one or two of the young guys in the minors are ready. 

2 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I really like the extension. Even if he does get hurt his contract ends before the current core gets expensive in arb or needs to be resigned so there isn't much risk and there is a solid chance he ages well and is good for those two years before they can sign a new guy or one or two of the young guys in the minors are ready. 

Depends on how you define expensive and what Giolito gets the next two years in arbitration.  But yeah, Cease, Kopech and Crochet are generally cheaper. 

14 hours ago, black jack said:

What do you think about the Sox trading some of the blocked upper level prospects for some single A kids to start a third wave?  

Instead of dumping these guys on rentals and bullpen arms, let's play the long game and keep this thing rolling another ten years. 

Heck yea.  And now that some have been pulled into duty and have played well, they have more value.  However, they are probably a little late on some of the guys like Adolpho.  

• raBBit unpinned this topic