Lance Lynn locked up 2 years 38 mill + club option

soxfan49

3 hours ago, fathom said:

I would say the opposite and gives them more cost certainty for next year, which allows them to trade guys they might have needed.

This - and - I still think they have room to take on money given where they are. 

43 minutes ago, bmags said:

Did you guys watch cease last night? Not trading that.

If he was able to maintain his mental focus it would be out of the question. But he generally can’t hold on to that focus for long. So, while you don’t  shop that, you also don’t hang up the phone. I wouldn’t trade it for a rental, no.

4 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

If he was able to maintain his mental focus it would be out of the question. But he generally can’t hold on to that focus for long. So, while you don’t  shop that, you also don’t hang up the phone. I wouldn’t trade it for a rental, no.

Night and day difference between last year and this year with him. Next year or even later this year could also improve now that he knows what he's doing  more than last year. You piece it all together start by start. Some starts you falter some you advance. All part of the learning curve. But I'll take 3 runs in 5.2 innings with 10K's  , every game he pitches. IDK what that translates to in ERA or FIP or XFIP or whatever but that's him doing his job. If he win's or loses that's up to how the rest of the team does their jobs.

Remember you may want to categorize it as mental focus but that's too easy. It's physical also. It's getting in enough reps and repeating your mechanics until it becomes 2nd nature and even then one little thing can throw you off from game to game.

• Like 2

Now, acquiring Gallo for the second half and all of next year, becomes even more desirable. If MLB.com thinks that Cespedes and Caleb Freeman would come close to getting it done, then add another prospect and pull the trigger. Imagine this lineup, next season: 

Anderson, Moncada, Abreu, Eloy, Gallo, Robert, Grandal, Vaughn, Madrigal. 

That might be the best lineup in baseball, if Robert and Vaughn become the hitters we think they will. The only off season acquisition that might be required would be another bullpen arm.

Edited by Lillian

6 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Now, acquiring Gallo for the second half and all of next year, becomes even more desirable. If MLB.com thinks that Cespedes and Caleb Freeman would come close to getting it done, then add another prospect and pull the trigger. Imagine this lineup, next season: 

Anderson, Moncada, Abreu, Eloy, Gallo, Robert, Grandal, Vaughn, Madrigal. 

That might be the best lineup in baseball, if Robert and Vaughn become the hitters we think they will. The only off season acquisition that might be required would be another bullpen arm.

I don't there is a chance we trade Cespedes for Gallo.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Night and day difference between last year and this year with him. Next year or even later this year could also improve now that he knows what he's doing  more than last year. You piece it all together start by start. Some starts you falter some you advance. All part of the learning curve. But I'll take 3 runs in 5.2 innings with 10K's  , every game he pitches. IDK what that translates to in ERA or FIP or XFIP or whatever but that's him doing his job. If he win's or loses that's up to how the rest of the team does their jobs.

Remember you may want to categorize it as mental focus but that's too easy. It's physical also. It's getting in enough reps and repeating your mechanics until it becomes 2nd nature and even then one little thing can throw you off from game to game.

His ERA is basically the same as last year. Night and day is not the term to use imo. He’s  up. He’s down. He’s medium. Although he maaaay be slightly less mercurial the last month or so, idk. We’ll see at the end of the year. But maintaining consistency will be key. His stuff was lights out last night. As I said earlier, imo  he had no business giving up any runs at all with that stuff. I think it’s mental. You think it could be physical. Whatever it is, the presence of “it” makes him not untouchable. We shall see, but he reminds me of Floyd Bannister. Always expect more with that impressive arm but you don’t really get it. So far anyway.

You know me. That RF spot needs to be filled by a LH bat. Acquire Gallo for the next year and 1/2. Then, hope either Colas, Rutherford or some other player can fill that spot. I have never liked the idea of Cespedes filling that hole in RF. He's yet one more RH bat, to go along with T. A., Eloy, Abreu, Robert, Vaughn and Madrigal. I would gladly give up Yoelkis and a couple of other lesser prospects, for Gallo. Who knows, maybe they could extend him, after next season. Gallo is only 27, so he could become one of the core pieces, for the rest of this window of contention.

Edited by Lillian

13 minutes ago, Lillian said:

You know me. That RF spot needs to be filled by a LH bat. Acquire Gallo for the next year and 1/2. Then, hope either Colas, Rutherford or some other player can fill that spot. I have never liked the idea of Cespedes filling that hole in RF. He's yet one more RH bat, to go along with T. A., Eloy, Abreu, Robert, Vaughn and Madrigal. I would gladly give up Yoelkis and a couple of other lesser prospects, for Gallo. Who knows, maybe they could extend him, after next season. Gallo is only 27, so he could become one of the core pieces, for the rest of this window of contention.

haven't we learned our lesson by now

edit: not saying the kid is gonna be a super star, but rather selling low on a decent prospect way too early

Edited by joesaiditstrue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

What do you think it would take? 

I see no reason why the Rangers should deal him to us without one of Crochet, Kopech, or Vaughn coming back. They should get one premium player in return for him if they move him at the deadline and those are the only 3 we have. They should only move him if they get a guy that makes them substantially better in 2 or 3 years.

If they can’t get that…There is no reason why Gallo can’t be moved in the offseason or even extended. They have plenty of money.

47 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Lock up a veteran for a couple years, and  it’s time to trade away a good young player or two.  That philosophy has about a 0% success rate.

They just locked up a TOR ace on a team friendly contract for two more years. Gimme a break. 

• Like 1

• raBBit unpinned this topic