The Eloy-Vaughn-Burger-Sheets Conundrum

ron883

I would love to see what the board thinks are realistic comps for Sheets?

Personally I think his floor is flaming out and being a Daniel Palka type player and these are his good (Eric Hinske), better (Matt Joyce), and best (Kole Calhoun) situation in terms of similar age comps/players with God mode being Brian Giles.

Hinske broke in at age 24 to a full season and ROY in Toronto, Joyce got a cup of coffee at 23 and extended look at 24 before settling in at 25 and both Calhoun and Giles got a cup of coffee at 24 and extended looks at 25. Sheets made his debut at 25 and 2 months.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, beautox said:

Personally I think his floor is flaming out and being a Daniel Palka type player and these are his good (Eric Hinske), better (Matt Joyce), and best (Kole Calhoun) situation in terms of similar age comps/players with God mode being Brian Giles.

Hinske broke in at age 24 to a full season and ROY in Toronto, Joyce got a cup of coffee at 23 and extended look at 24 before settling in at 25 and both Calhoun and Giles got a cup of coffee at 24 and extended looks at 25. Sheets made his debut at 25 and 2 months.

I think Matt Joyce is a nice comp.

Brandon Moss is another that comes to mind. 

14 minutes ago, beautox said:

Great post. Looking at the stats of the players you named I'm going Hinske.  A useful player but not a guy you want starting on a good team.

11 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

He will be so you might as well accept it now lol

I don't think the FO wants a repeat of last years post season and want to hedge as much as possible with regards to his health. I think he'll get 1-2 starts a week at most. NL will likely adopt the DH in the next CBA.

3 minutes ago, beautox said:

I don't think the FO wants a repeat of last years post season and want to hedge as much as possible with regards to his health. I think he'll get 1-2 starts a week at most. NL will likely adopt the DH in the next CBA.

If his legs were what was injured I agree.  I just think they are gonna put him where they planned to from the beginning and do what they did last year where they told Robert to cover everything his side 

20 minutes ago, y2chae said:

Why would he play LF over Vaughn? 

Because that is where they wanted him at the beginning of the season and it puts the better hitter in the lineup while offering more DH flexibility.

25 minutes ago, y2chae said:

Why would he play LF over Vaughn? 

Come NL games now and in WS if it happens you dont want Eloy on the bench and you dont want him out there not having played an OF for months.

IMO you DH him 3 times a week and place him in the OF twice.

4 minutes ago, Capital G said:

Come NL games now and in WS if it happens you dont want Eloy on the bench and you dont want him out there not having played an OF for months.

IMO you DH him 3 times a week and place him in the OF twice.

yeah this is what i see happening.... eloy will rotate between dh and LF

11 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Because that is where they wanted him at the beginning of the season and it puts the better hitter in the lineup while offering more DH flexibility.

Why would Eloy be out of the lineup? He'd DH. 

23 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

If his legs were what was injured I agree.  I just think they are gonna put him where they planned to from the beginning and do what they did last year where they told Robert to cover everything his side 

That obviously has not resonated with Eloy. He thinks he’s a much better fielder than what he is and tries to go all out to prove it to himself and others. Hell continue to make lackadaisical errors in LF until he eventually hurts himself again. But hey that’s just Eloy being Eloy!

3 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

That obviously has not resonated with Eloy. He thinks he’s a much better fielder than what he is and tries to go all out to prove it to himself and others. Hell continue to make lackadaisical errors in LF until he eventually hurts himself again. But hey that’s just Eloy being Eloy!

I'm not arguing what you feel about his ability.  I get it, he is not a good fielder.  Doesn't mean they aren't gonna put him in the field 

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

I'm not arguing what you feel about his ability.  I get it, he is not a good fielder.  Doesn't mean they aren't gonna put him in the field 

They're going to put him in the field but it will be limited to 1-2 times a week; even if its against the players wishes.

15 minutes ago, y2chae said:

Why would Eloy be out of the lineup? He'd DH. 

He is in the lineup while offering a more flexible option at DH.  You know Tony likes to bat switch and lh hitters at DH. 

50 minutes ago, beautox said:

Doesn’t playing just 1-2 games per week make it even more likely he’ll get hurt trying to make a play to prove he deserves to be out there on an everyday basis?  Not really sure it mitigates the risk all that much…

59 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Does it really offer more DH flexibility though?  All it does is shift Vaughn to DH most of the time, makes the defense worse, and makes Eloy more likely to get hurt again.

I too think Eloy is going to need to play some LF, but Vaughn is the clearly superior defender. At the beginning of the season, we had a short fairly unathletic dude who hadn't played the OF since he was in little league.  Vaughn has now proven to be an average LF defender in the bigs, and is still very much learning the position.  

One of the better developments so far in 2021 is Vaughn becoming a more than serviceable LF.  Its absolutely huge for the DH/1B log jam we have in 22. Completely veering off that path at this point would be a serious mistake by the Sox. 

Edited by ChiSox59

I hope they don’t trade anyone but maybe Collins and some minor prospects for a reliever who is a veteran rental playing for a big contract.  They are 9.5 games up!  Stand pat, keep the young guys on the south side under Sox control for years to come.  

1 minute ago, JPR said:

I hope they don’t trade anyone but maybe Collins and some minor prospects for a reliever who is a veteran rental playing for a big contract.  They are 9.5 games up!  Stand pat, keep the young guys on the south side under Sox control for years to come.  

Sox aren't exactly in a position to be trading away catchers at this moment.  

12 minutes ago, JPR said:

I’d take Lucroy over Collins 

It is amazing how many people seem to love Lucroy, but most front offices continue to release him. And that is kind of weird as well, as this guy is only 5 years removed from being a top of the line guy. It really is one of the more interesting end of careers I have seen. It's not like he has to be that guy he was 5 years ago to stick, especially if he can call a good game. Maybe he is an asshole or something. But something is going on.

Edited by Dick Allen