The Eloy-Vaughn-Burger-Sheets Conundrum

ron883

24 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It is amazing how many people seem to love Lucroy, but most front offices continue to release him. And that is kind of weird as well, as this guy is only 5 years removed from being a top of the line guy. It really is one of the more interesting end of careers I have seen. It's not like he has to be that guy he was 5 years ago to stick, especially if he can call a good game. Maybe he is an asshole or something. But something is going on.

Including, amazingly, our own.

Like, our own front office picked Collins over Lucroy. Why would they about face now when Collins is the personal catcher for the best pitcher in the AL?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

Including, amazingly, our own.

Like, our own front office picked Collins over Lucroy. Why would they about face now when Collins is the personal catcher for the best pitcher in the AL?

I think the LuCroy move would be more to take Zavala off of the roster, versus Collins.  I imagine the Sox would have liked to have kept him, but didn't LuCroy ask for his release once Collins won the back up job?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think the LuCroy move would be more to take Zavala off of the roster, versus Collins.  I imagine the Sox would have liked to have kept him, but didn't LuCroy ask for his release once Collins won the back up job?

That's what happened, yes. But also, DA was responding to people saying they'd take Lucroy over Collins and also wanting to trade Collins and nab Lucroy.

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

That's what happened, yes. But also, DA was responding to people saying they'd take Lucroy over Collins and also wanting to trade Collins and nab Lucroy.

It is freaking amazing that the Sox had horrible, no good backup catchers for like a decade, and now that they have had a plethora of riches at catcher for a couple years, with Collins now a part of that as the backup, that people can't see how great the Sox have it when Collins is your backup.

Every single team in the league would give their left nut for a backup catcher with a 115ish wRC+ against RHP.  It's not Zach's fault that Grandal is hurt.

That said, get Zevala off this roster.  I don't care if Lucroy keeps getting released he's a better player than Zevala right now.  

Edited by chitownsportsfan

47 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It is amazing how many people seem to love Lucroy, but most front offices continue to release him. And that is kind of weird as well, as this guy is only 5 years removed from being a top of the line guy. It really is one of the more interesting end of careers I have seen. It's not like he has to be that guy he was 5 years ago to stick, especially if he can call a good game. Maybe he is an asshole or something. But something is going on.

TIFWIW but Bernstein said something the other day about clubhouses disliking Lucroy.  And the way he put it, multiple clubhouses have been open about it

30 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Probably , but if you are Lucroy, is that what you want? You know the team prefers Collins, and Yaz is coming back in maybe 3 weeks. So that is maybe 5 or 6 games he would catch, just to probably get released again. He could hope with the injury, the Sox may want to keep 3 catchers, but with Eloy and Robert coming back, there is going to be a roster crunch, so that probably won't happen.  

I guess the question is are the Sox going to lose any games  because of Zavala on the roster instead of Lucroy, and if so, does it even matter at this point?

Edited by Dick Allen

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Probably , but if you are Lucroy, is that what you want? You know the team prefers Collins, and Yaz is coming back in maybe 3 weeks. So that is maybe 5 or 6 games he would catch, just to probably get released again. He could hope with the injury, the Sox may want to keep 3 catchers, but with Eloy and Robert coming back, there is going to be a roster crunch, so that probably won't happen.  

I guess the question is are the Sox going to lose any games  because of Zavala on the roster instead of Lucroy, and if so, does it even matter at this point?

I think Lucroy has shown he's happy to hang around this season to collect as many big league paychecks/games as he can. He might well do that for longer that this year.

17 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

TIFWIW but Bernstein said something the other day about clubhouses disliking Lucroy.  And the way he put it, multiple clubhouses have been open about it

It has to be something with this, the guy wasn't absolutely brutal that he couldn't stick around somewhere as a backup. 

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think Lucroy has shown he's happy to hang around this season to collect as many big league paychecks/games as he can. He might well do that for longer that this year.

Maybe he is going for a released record.

Got released by the Angels, signed by the Cubs, played 27 games. Signed with Boston,, played 1 game, released, signed by White Sox, released, singed by Washington, 5 games played, released. Signed by Atlanta, 2 games played, released. That is 35 games played and 5 releases.

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Is it better than a minor league trip today?

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Is it better than a minor league trip today?

Probably, but at some point you would think going home is more preferable. For some reason a guy who has been fired 5 times the last 23 months, doesn't seem like a good answer in my mind. But again, I go back to there is something we don't know here. This guy was a legit star, now he still looks like he can put up back up catcher numbers, I guess calls a decent game, but teams can't wait to get rid of him. Something is up. There is a decent possibility  the Sox don't even consider him. He went from seeming like close to a lock to making the team, to being cut even though he did fine in spring training. 

Edited by Dick Allen

I'd take LuCroy (or really anyone) over Zavala, even if its just for a couple weeks.  Finding catchers who can't hit a lick but are solid defenders isn't exactly tough.  Zavala is an automatic out.  He's been solid behind the plate, and Sox have the luxury I guess, but why not upgrade if it doesn't anything but pro-rated league min. He obviously has some familiarly with the pitchers as well.  

• 8 months later...
On 7/21/2021 at 10:00 AM, JPR said:

I hope they don’t trade anyone but maybe Collins and some minor prospects for a reliever who is a veteran rental playing for a big contract.  They are 9.5 games up!  Stand pat, keep the young guys on the south side under Sox control for years to come.  

glad they traded Collins 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spumoni said:

When I saw this bumped I thought for sure it was gonna be about getting Eloy out of the outfield.

PS.  Get Eloy out of the outfield.

He only had one collision yesterday, so surely he is improving! 😉

Eloy and Robert need to employ some kind of audio system, similar the one being used by the battery, in order to ensure that there is sufficient communication. They simply cannot have any more collisions.  They're both big strong men and someone will likely get hurt, ....again!!!!

Edited by Lillian

23 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Eloy and Robert need to employ some kind of audio system, similar the one being used by the battery, in order to ensure that there is sufficient communication. They simply cannot have any more collisions.  They're both big strong men and someone will likely get hurt, ....again!!!!

Eloy needs an electric shock collar that Robert can use whenever Eloy wanders to far out of LF..

• Thanks 1